Hailea Chiller 1/20

kksg2000

HI Bro.. what is the normal time took for a 1/20 chiller to cool down 1 deg? Mine seems to take 1-2 hrs .. is this normal for a 1/20 chiller?

Will like to know the size of your tank? It should not be any bigger then a 2ft, as any bigger will be pushing it's limit and increasing the time taken to chill the tank.

It takes too long to cool down 1 deg, normally will take 20 to 45mins. Did u check the flow rate of your pump output to the chiller flow rate. If your pump flow is too slow then it will take a long time to chill your water. From hailea website, it state that it needs a flow rate of 200~1000L/H. If you meet the requirement, then u might need to check your chiller to see if it is faulty.

Might be that the internal thermostat is faulty and register a wrong temperature reading, thus contributing to the long chilling duration. Try getting a thermometer and see if the temperature is the same as the one register on your chiller. If a faulty thermostat, then u might want to get a external thermostat as it will register accurate reading of your tank temp and will minimise the number of time the chiller needs to kick in. It help to save on your electric bills and also make your chiller last longer.

Happy Reefing!

• SRC Member

Sorry bro.. i am using a hailea 1/10 HP for a 130l tank with a 1000l/h pump. hmm.. ya you're right the intermostat does not register the correct temp when i compared with it with a themometer... but my concern is it took longer than before for chilling .. it happens only after i disconnected to connect to my canister but revert everything back after i found out pump - > canister -> chiller does not work correctly because of the flow rate... any idea what could go wrong for my chiller now? Do i need to prime my chiller?

• SRC Member

Sorry bro.. i am using a hailea 1/10 HP for a 130l tank with a 1000l/h pump. hmm.. ya you're right the intermostat does not register the correct temp when i compared with it with a themometer... but my concern is it took longer than before for chilling .. it happens only after i disconnected to connect to my canister but revert everything back after i found out pump - > canister -> chiller does not work correctly because of the flow rate... any idea what could go wrong for my chiller now? Do i need to prime my chiller?

Whats the different temp between ur chiller display and ur thermometer?Do you know that you can adjust the chiller +\- temp to match ur thermometer temp?

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• SRC Member

the difference betw my themometer and chiller is more than 1.5. e.g. my chiller shows 28.5 but themometer shows <27 . ya i fine tuned my chiller at -1.5 (max) to match my themometer... but to cool down 1 deg .. it takes more than 1 hr..

I only know of one at boon Keng. Shop name is bio plast, I get my chiller mod there. Good service but price not sure. Should not be more then 100 if not wrong. Any bro can input for lfs doing chiller service? Maybe can try call aquamarin and sealife, think they also doing servicing for chiller

• SRC Member

I only know of one at boon Keng. Shop name is bio plast, I get my chiller mod there. Good service but price not sure. Should not be more then 100 if not wrong. Any bro can input for lfs doing chiller service? Maybe can try call aquamarin and sealife, think they also doing servicing for chiller

Did you do the ext themostat mod? can share with me how much ?

• SRC Member

i found out the problem. My chiller is working good. It was caused by the return pipe from the external canister which it took inflow from the chiller outflow.i'm running 300l/h pump for my canister which was too slow and by the time it returned back to the tank, the water has warmed up...for the time i regulated the canister outflow to 30% to resolve this issue. thanks everyone ...

• SRC Member

Did you mean water goes into your chiller, then out to your canister filter, before going back into your display tank? If so, your chiller may get clogged up over time & will reduce its cooling efficiency. Then, cleaning its internal will be a tedious affair. Water should instead go thru' your canister filter first, then to your chiller, before returning to display tank.

Either way, your canister pump will be under extra load due to the added chiller in your flow path. You may want to replace it with a stronger pump to get the whole system back to correct flow speed. Hence, if you choose this route, selecting a pump that runs with little heat will definitely help.

P.S. Run your current pump in a bucket of water for an hour to gauge how warm it feels to the touch. This heat is what your chiller has to deal with in addition to cooling down your tank.

• SRC Member

I thought my chiller is working ... But I concluded my chiller is not good. The temp cannot go down before 26 deg.. If thermostat is set at 25, it will kick off at 26 .. and the LCD display keeps increasing to 27++ and the chiller keeps kicking,, I found if i set at 27, it kicks off at 28 and the LCD display decrease to 26.9 and stop kicking.. It is doing good at 27. I think maybe my chiller thermostat is faulty... Any bro had the same problem before and want to share? Will the ext mod solve the issues? I found that ext mod is expensive.. . I am nt driving... Another $40 for taxi ....Maybe want to keep the temp at 27-28 for the time being..

By the way.. From 28-27 it took abt 45-69mins and it lasted for another 30-45mins befor kicking off again... Is this normal.?

In betw, I set up separate lines for my chiller.. I found the canister outflow max is only 360l/h... And my chiller intake is 250-1000...

• SRC Member

and external mod would cost you less than 10 reds if you do the wiring yourself. the $40 can be saved by taking the train to bugis and walking to sim lim tower for the parts :lol:

what i would do though is increase the flow into the chiller. too slow and by the time the water in the chiller cools down the one in the tank is already heated up thus the chiller keeps kicking in.

• SRC Member

and external mod would cost you less than 10 reds if you do the wiring yourself. the $40 can be saved by taking the train to bugis and walking to sim lim tower for the parts :lol:

what i would do though is increase the flow into the chiller. too slow and by the time the water in the chiller cools down the one in the tank is already heated up thus the chiller keeps kicking in.

Bro, my chiller does not kick in too often , it takes 45 mins which I think is normal. It just can't chill down to below 26... Is this a internal thermostat fault?

Any website showing how to do ext mod? I have no idea how to do it...