Algae Scrubbers

gargamelron

Any idea how to do a scrubber for dymax IQ3?

Tank Size: 42” x 18” x 12/18” (4 side and centre use Crystal Clear Glass)
Sump: 36” x 15” x 15/20”
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Diablo DC 10000
Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201
Wavemaker: 2 X VorTech MP10ES Propeller Pump
Chemical Filtration: 2 X H2 Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Reactor(Rowa & Chemi Pure Elite), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR30 (biopellets) with
Tesino GP-231 Amphibious Pump
Bio Media: Bacteria King - 10 Litres
Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/4 Hp - DBE-200)
Lighting: ATI Sunpower 6 x 39 Watt T5

(Blue+ Blue+ Purple+ Coral+ Actinic Blue+) (9hrs)

Auto TopUp system: JBJ ATO

• SRC Member

Any idea how to do a scrubber for dymax IQ3?

(1) Need to be implemented externally since IQ3 is way too small to accommodate within.

(2) Easiest is to have the scrubber sitting(maybe on a shelf) above the IQ3 with a pump drawing water upwards to the scrubber, then naturally flow back down into the IQ3.

(4) With 1 sq inch of screen per gallon, your IQ3 probably requires about 2 square inches with lighting on both sides.

(5) You'll need a scrubber pump(after catering for head lost) to maintain a flow of 70gph(~265L/hr) over the screen. Hence, if you plan to deploy this scrubber pump in your IQ3's overflow compartment, you'd probably need to upgrade existing stock return pump to something stronger(provided it'll fit in there) to maintain the flow.

Overall, there's very little margin for error on such a small setup. Most folks just settle for regular water change regime.

(1) Need to be implemented externally since IQ3 is way too small to accommodate within.

(2) Easiest is to have the scrubber sitting(maybe on a shelf) above the IQ3 with a pump drawing water upwards to the scrubber, then naturally flow back down into the IQ3.

(4) With 1 sq inch of screen per gallon, your IQ3 probably requires about 2 square inches with lighting on both sides.

(5) You'll need a scrubber pump(after catering for head lost) to maintain a flow of 70gph(~265L/hr) over the screen. Hence, if you plan to deploy this scrubber pump in your IQ3's overflow compartment, you'd probably need to upgrade existing stock return pump to something stronger(provided it'll fit in there) to maintain the flow.

Overall, there's very little margin for error on such a small setup. Most folks just settle for regular water change regime.

Thanks for the help

2 square inch is how big? (length(cm) X width (cm))

and where can i can the mesh and pipes?

can i put the powerhead inside display tank (not in overflow compartment) to draw the water into the scrubber and use another powerhead inside the scrubber to pump the water back to the tank

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201
Chemical Filtration: 2 X H2 Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Reactor(Rowa & Chemi Pure Elite), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR30 (biopellets) with

• SRC Member

With a tank size such as IQ3, you are better off with regular water changes for nutrient export as opposed to an algae scrubber. Try Fuel's method of daily water change by swapping old water with fresh salt water at a lower salinity. Water change + top up evaporated water = win.

Thanks for the help

2 square inch is how big? (length(cm) X width (cm))

and where can i can the mesh and pipes?

can i put the powerhead inside display tank (not in overflow compartment) to draw the water into the scrubber and use another powerhead inside the scrubber to pump the water back to the tank

2 square inches is only around 5cm x 2.5cm. I think its a big trouble making a scrubber this small.

2 square inches is only around 5cm x 2.5cm. I think its a big trouble making a scrubber this small.

NanoBuiltIn.jpg

i don't know this will work?

just paste the sheet at the back of the false wall where water flow into the compartment and use a light to shine from the back. have to cut out the sticker

any advise?

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201

• SRC Member

:lol: Seriously bro, if you put the pump in a small display tank like IQ3, it'll be the 1st thing you see every time you look at your tank.

BTW, having another pump in the scrubber is a no-no. Just allow whatever water pumped up into the scrubber to flow back down into display tank via gravity.

I urge you to think thru' in detail. The end result may work, but may not be aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

• SRC Member

NanoBuiltIn.jpg

i don't know this will work?

just paste the sheet at the back of the false wall where water flow into the compartment and use a light to shine from the back. have to cut out the sticker

any advise?

Go ahead. Keep us updated on the status.

actually i use 2 powerhead..

i replace the return pump to a stronger one

then the original powerhead i use it as wave maker in the tank.. lol

BTW where to get the plastic canves?

how shld i ask to the shop assistance

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201

Daiso sells black coloured ones in A4 sizes. Roughen up the screen and you are ready to go.

thank alot peacemaker bro for the great help

how to ask the assistance?

plastic canvas?

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201

May I know the canvas is located at which part of daiso

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201

• SRC Member

I believe there are several branches of Daiso, so I won't know where they keep them, but you could try the gardening area. Since you have browsed through the algae scrubber thread, you should already have a good visualization of how it should look like, and just describe it to the shop assistant accordingly. It is made of plastic. ;)

• 3 months later...

Any updates on your scrubber?

I cut the paper at the side the put the canvas and shine the light outside... Cos if you notice when you peer off the paper at the side, the wall is actually transparent.. so far its work.. but too troublesome taking out.. unless you only have the scrubber in there.. alt. I replace with chaeto

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201

• 2 weeks later...

I am on a RSM 130D... also thinking of a scrubber for the tank. I am using Deltec MCE600 skimmer.

Thinking of sticking on a sheet of the scrubber screen on the degassing plate of the MCE600. ie. Using the downflow from the MCE600 skimmer.

Not sure if this will work. :idea:

Any comments?

• SRC Member

I am on a RSM 130D... also thinking of a scrubber for the tank. I am using Deltec MCE600 skimmer.

Thinking of sticking on a sheet of the scrubber screen on the degassing plate of the MCE600. ie. Using the downflow from the MCE600 skimmer.

Not sure if this will work. :idea:

Any comments?

Firstly, the flow rate down the degassing plate may not be sufficient.

Secondly, you'll be shining light into your tank also. It's going to affect your photo period.