Hydor L40 headloss

dulcet

Hey bros,

My tank is a 42 gallon / 160L IOS tank.

I am connecting a Hydor L40 2800L/hr directly to chiller and back to my main tank.

The Chiller is on the floor, total distance from the pump(Inside IOS) >> chiller >> tank (Main Tank Compartment) is around 2m+

This pump is also acting as my filtration pump.

Originally was using a Atman 2000L/hr pump for chiller only, but due to space constraint in the IOS, there are inefficiency for chilling.

(Inlet and outlet are in IOS, hence partial of the newly chilled water continue to get chilled again.

I tried to connect the outlet to the main tank, but it will mess up my sand without any form of L shape deflector,

and the overall visual of tank will be ruin with so many outlet.)

After switching to single pump, the chilling is much faster, but am worried that the flow rate is not strong enough for both filtration and main tank.

Keeping LPS, soft and fish.

1) Do i need to add additional wavemaker?

2) Anyone know the headloss at 2m for hydor L40 2800L/hr?

3) Is the filtration suction strong enough given the headloss?

4) Any suggestion without spending too much money ?

• SRC Member

Hi Fayeth,

In below chart, flow for L40 at 2M is mere 700L/h.(probably lesser if you factor in the twist & turns in the chiller) At 2.3M, it drops to 0L/h. Looks like you're not getting sufficient flow in your 42gal. See if you can get a stronger sump that'll fit into your sump. Of course a cheap alternative is to just raise you chiller to the same height as your tank.

12132-table22.gif

• SRC Member

Riding on the same headloss question, anyone knows if the performance of the chiller gets affected if the flowrate falls below the recommended one? I am using a 1200L/hr pump for chiller too, same IOS setup as fayeth. Pump > Chiller > return to tank. Recommended flowrate for chiller is 1000-2500l/hr. I did my math and estimated that my flow is around 900L/hr, will this affect the chiller performance?

bro fayeth, sorry for riding on ur thread!

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Actually to read the pump chart. Layman terms..

Headloss = vertical distance.

Which means if the outlet is at 2m high, your L40 will output only 700liters/hour based on a very important assumption: There are no twists, no bends and no horizontal piping and no loss from the resistance in the pipe size. Smaller (diameter) pipe = more resistance.

In other words, Pump just output to a vertical pipe and runs 2m high.

If the height is 0m while the horizontal distance is 2m, it will definitely output more than 700l/hour but less than 2800l/hr. This is more technical..

If the height and horizontal distance is 0m, only will the L40 output 2800l/hr.

Losses in flowrate comes from piping distance, elbows and height.

Most losses come from height.

Riding on the same headloss question, anyone knows if the performance of the chiller gets affected if the flowrate falls below the recommended one? I am using a 1200L/hr pump for chiller too, same IOS setup as fayeth. Pump > Chiller > return to tank. Recommended flowrate for chiller is 1000-2500l/hr. I did my math and estimated that my flow is around 900L/hr, will this affect the chiller performance?

bro fayeth, sorry for riding on ur thread!

np, it's ok :thumbsup:

I went to adjust my setup, gd news is i manage to cut the vertical distance to below 1m...

bad news......... while adjusting... my pipe came loose ......... and the water went straight into my external thermostats..... now it's not functioning anymore :rip:

i disassembled everything, letting it dry now..... hopefully it will revive... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! sry.. feel like screaming.. :(

in case it's dead (TOUCH WOOD x 1mil times), anyone know where i can get "eliwell" thermostats? i took a photo of the wire assembly, quite confident that i can "DIY" one myself... haiz....

and i plan to slp early tonite, and look at the clock now...

• SRC Member

Can understand your frustration. I'm also very nervous when it comes to plumbing. One carelessness & its water disaster. That's why it took me so long to upgrade to tank with sump. I put in hose clamps on every join. Can't sleep properly if I don't do that.