What colour lighting is best for fish & coral tank?

uLtRaMaN

• SRC Member

Bros Im currently using 4x80w T5 lighting. 2 blue & 2 white. I am thinking of changing the tubes to ATI. Any advise what I should buy? Thought of replacing the white tubes with purple plus and actinic. Does corals need white light to thrive? Thanks in advance!!! :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

aquablue special still has to most par of all the ati bulbs which is better for the corals in terms of growth. it also helps to sustain corals at the bottom better than other bulbs.

for a 4 bulb fixture the best combination agreed on many forums is to be

blue plus

aquablue special

actinic

blue plus

but this may be too white for some (like me). i swapped my aquablue special for purple plus. as long as the colour looks the best to you i don't think anything else really matters, after all you're the one that's going to be staring at the tank everyday :)

• SRC Member

aquablue special still has to most par of all the ati bulbs which is better for the corals in terms of growth. it also helps to sustain corals at the bottom better than other bulbs.

for a 4 bulb fixture the best combination agreed on many forums is to be

blue plus

aquablue special

actinic

blue plus

but this may be too white for some (like me). i swapped my aquablue special for purple plus. as long as the colour looks the best to you i don't think anything else really matters, after all you're the one that's going to be staring at the tank everyday :)

I actually prefer my tank to look more bluish rather than whitish. So is blue plus or aquablue special more bluish? Actinic is also bluish? Paiseh bro seldom play with such bulbs so a bit lost. Tks!

Hey! Was also thinking of changing my lightset to ATIs. Just a quick question, for a 3 2 2 Sps dominated tank, how many bulbs and how many watts each bulb should i be getting?

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

I actually prefer my tank to look more bluish rather than whitish. So is blue plus or aquablue special more bluish? Actinic is also bluish? Paiseh bro seldom play with such bulbs so a bit lost. Tks!

blue plus is blue in colour.

aquablue special is NOT blue in colour but crisp white instead.

actinic is more of a light pink purplish when seen with the naked eye. but the effect on corals is different

hope this helps :)

• SRC Member

Hey! Was also thinking of changing my lightset to ATIs. Just a quick question, for a 3 2 2 Sps dominated tank, how many bulbs and how many watts each bulb should i be getting?

i'd say get as many bulbs as your width allows since you're going sps. preferably a 8 or 10 bulb set. each bulb should be rated 39w for 3'