fish wif out chiller??

No problem, my tank(FOwlr) many time goes up to 31 degree fish also ok, dont worry.

can you list the fishes you have in your tank? How accurate is your temperature sensor? I heard many reefer had casualty when the temp hit 31. Personally had the same experience too.

can you list the fishes you have in your tank? How accurate is your temperature sensor? I heard many reefer had casualty when the temp hit 31. Personally had the same experience too.

[/quot

Yes I do have the thermometer. Currently I have blue tang, yellow tang, purples tang, flame tang, and some other which am not sure of there name.

• SRC Member

Flame tang? I presume it's flame angel. From my experience and what I've gathered from other reefers, it's difficult to keep flame angels healthy or long if they are not given cooler water environment. In fact, i think most fishes wld not like living in water above 30 degrees, they may not die but that doesn't mean they are growing well.

i have a few kind of Tang, banner fish, clown, wrasse, trigger, puffer... i am sure they wont die lah, dont really have to worry, but i am not sure whether they are happy or not, hahaha, maybe they SWEAT like us too???

Flame tang? I presume it's flame angel. From my experience and what I've gathered from other reefers, it's difficult to keep flame angels healthy or long if they are not given cooler water environment. In fact, i think most fishes wld not like living in water above 30 degrees, they may not die but that doesn't mean they are growing well.

yap.. it a flame fin tang not the angel :). Thanks everyone for the advise. In that case i try to keep the chiller turn on and adjust it to 28.5 degree

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

I use two fans, but water evaporates fast, i have the following setup to top up water and to make it bit chill..

have two pet bottles each is 1.5 liter capacity, will add fresh water and refrigerate it....bottle caps have small holes so that it doesn't break in the chiller and water will drip through them when added to the tank.

Every morning will just plug that bottle at top of my tank where i have a small setup from which the ice will melt and water will be added to the tank as drop by drop.

My tank has a top cover, so everything is hidden inside, my temperature is around 26 to 27.

• SRC Member

I use two fans, but water evaporates fast, i have the following setup to top up water and to make it bit chill..

have two pet bottles each is 1.5 liter capacity, will add fresh water and refrigerate it....bottle caps have small holes so that it doesn't break in the chiller and water will drip through them when added to the tank.

Every morning will just plug that bottle at top of my tank where i have a small setup from which the ice will melt and water will be added to the tank as drop by drop.

My tank has a top cover, so everything is hidden inside, my temperature is around 26 to 27.

Hi bro, sound like a good idea to keep water temp low..any pic for sharing?

Btw, I oso FOWLR without chiller..just fan to blow across water surface..temp 26-28°c depending on room temp..evaporation was high though..ard 3-4L of tap water daily..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

For fowlr, chiller is good as it helps to maintain the temp low and constant. But it all depends on your livestock also. If u have 10k worth of fish, i am sure u wont mind spending abit more on your tank.

• Like 1

Having a lower temp will slow down the fishes metabolism rate, color of the fishes will be more vibrant and they are more active, lower temp will also prevent the outbreak of various diseases and parasite as compared to high temp..

Most fowlr without chiller, you will find the color of the fishes much duller and sluggish compared to those with chiller in a cooler temp..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Inside this thread, there's a side track discussion over a best setup I could say for a marine tank..no skimmer no chiller no fan and tank running for 3yr n counting..seldom water change..the fiercest thing I come across is water temp 31°c n fishes n anemones r ok..salute..happy reefing

@ 291213

• SRC Member
http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/120644-do-you-switch-off-your-wavemaker-at-night/page-2'>http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/120644-do-you-switch-off-your-wavemaker-at-night/page-2 Inside this thread, there's a side track discussion over a best setup I could say for a marine tank..no skimmer no chiller no fan and tank running for 3yr n counting..seldom water change..the fiercest thing I come across is water temp 31°c n fishes n anemones r ok..salute..happy reefing
Every system is different. U can try keeping large angels in that system and test it out.

• SRC Member

Every system is different. U can try keeping large angels in that system and test it out.

Ya agreed bro..I wouldn't choose n try this system for I dun know how good my LR are..but I believe nature like this should work like in the sea..temperature wise I dun know..31°c is a shocker..wonder will the fish sweat anot..haha

@ 291213

Ya agreed bro..I wouldn't choose n try this system for I dun know how good my LR are..but I believe nature like this should work like in the sea..temperature wise I dun know..31°c is a shocker..wonder will the fish sweat anot..haha
Fishes do not sweat because they do not have sweat gland. Sweating in mammals helps to regulate the temperatire of the mammals. Fishes are cold blooded. Their body temperature is the same of their environment. I would set chiller to 28.5 as i find no point risking the lifes of my fishes should one day the climate become very.hot. And I wanna my fishes to thrieve not just survive in my captivity environment. To the best of my ability of course.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10