Skimmer gone nuts after using epoxy

Hi all,

My Skimmer decided to go crazy on me after I've used some epoxy. Skimmer is overskimming and forms are overflowing from the collection cup. Also lots of micro bubbles coming from the exit of the skimmer.

I've done a search both online and in SRC and found that the skimmer usially goes back to normal after a few days. But it have been 5 days and it's still the same. I've even cleaned up the skimmer today but it's still gone crazy on me.

Did scaping last firday, sunday did a 10% water change, today clean up skimmer but it's still overskimming with bubbles overflowing from both the collection cup and exit.

Anyone can advice on what I should do? Some of my zoas and SPS started to show signs of stress and I've lost a 6 line wrasses and sally lightfoot since last friday.

You need to do a lot more water change. I dont know if carbon will help. But this is normal if you let epoxy cure underwater. If you let it cure out of water until it is hard then put back, this will not happen. It happened to me and i just change 50 percent water.

You need to do a lot more water change. I dont know if carbon will help. But this is normal if you let epoxy cure underwater. If you let it cure out of water until it is hard then put back, this will not happen. It happened to me and i just change 50 percent water.

50% water change is a lot. I'm trying to avoid that as it's swing the parameters within the tank. I've lost a SPS due to too sudden increase in kH liao.... Hmmm, maybe I should try active carbon.

Check your water level.

Try to lower it

Can't lower the water level as it is an in sump unit and is at a fix level. I've however open the skimmer exit at maximum liao....

• SRC Member

i suspect you used too much epoxy as compared to your volume.

i got a friend who used many epoxy in a 2 feet tank. he lost almost all life stock including corals.

do a huge water change.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

dun use the epoxy in the tank...if u want to use those epoxy, u have to remove the rock or coral from your tank...it can crash yr tank bcoz it may cause the water to cloud and irritate some of the corals to release "mucus"...esp some of the acropora sps and soft corals....

And after u successfully epoxy yr coral onto the rock, u cannot place them back into the water immediately....u have to let it dry first....that's y i stopped using this....

u can try bsi gel...it's a kind of super glue and it sticks real fast, within secs to a minute n does not cause yr skimmer to go crazy or cloud yr waters.

l7304smr.jpg

I think your water level too high..as suggested, raise the skimmer on something flat and stable.

What skimmer are you using?

Reefocto ORCA 100

i suspect you used too much epoxy as compared to your volume.

i got a friend who used many epoxy in a 2 feet tank. he lost almost all life stock including corals.

do a huge water change.

Ya Used about 1 1/4 tube. Am monitoring the situation now. Rest of the fishes seems okie so far.

6line wrasse normally is super hardy.

Water change with NSW will be good.

BTW, what epoxy are you using?

I used the TLF AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty.

dun use the epoxy in the tank...if u want to use those epoxy, u have to remove the rock or coral from your tank...it can crash yr tank bcoz it may cause the water to cloud and irritate some of the corals to release "mucus"...esp some of the acropora sps and soft corals....

And after u successfully epoxy yr coral onto the rock, u cannot place them back into the water immediately....u have to let it dry first....that's y i stopped using this....

u can try bsi gel...it's a kind of super glue and it sticks real fast, within secs to a minute n does not cause yr skimmer to go crazy or cloud yr waters.

Problem is I was doing some rescaping after catching some crabs on certain LR. Did consider using the BSI gel but that would mean I would need to use much more of those.

This morning, the skimmer is still overskimming but it seems to be improving. Don't see so many forms collected at the collection cup as compared to previous days. Hope things improved, if not, I'll have to do some major waterchange.

Haiz, another lesson learned the hard way.