Regal Angel

Any of you guys had success keeping this beauties for long? Is it true yellow belly had better survival rates than the grey belly? I oso notice yellow belly cost double than grey belly which is really cheap. I bought a yellow belly which already eating mysis and nori seaweed. Hope it survives after i intro to main tank...

• SRC Supporter

There is some report that those regal imported from pacific ocean ( Grey belly) seem reluctance to get it feeding. However those from the Indian ocean (Yellow belly) have a slightly better track record of feeding. Mainly due to the method of collection and handing.

This fish tends to be very shy, and should be provided with a lot of hiding space , like cave and ledges, for it to use as a refuge. With time it should become more bold in the open.

• Senior Reefer

the ocean is just a general rule....

indian ocean regals come from red sea, maldives or sri lanka. these 3 locations are all in the indian ocean and regals from this area are all yellow belly.

red sea and maldive regals are the best but collection at these 2 areas are very limited now and very hard.

the only place in singapore we can get yellow belly indian ocean regals are from sri lanka.... and condition for the fishes are ok- ok only...

pacific ocean regals can come from vanuatu, fiji, indonesia, philippines... these are all in the pacific ocean and are all grey belly.

but regals from indonesia and philippines are the worst. terrrible success rate. vanuatu and fiji ones are MUCH better.

so you see?

saying this ocean and that ocean is easy. but when you break down the oceans and look clearly at individual locations, then the basic rule of (indian ocean is better than pacific ocean) is questionable.

hope that helps......

the ocean is just a general rule....

indian ocean regals come from red sea, maldives or sri lanka. these 3 locations are all in the indian ocean and regals from this area are all yellow belly.

red sea and maldive regals are the best but collection at these 2 areas are very limited now and very hard.

the only place in singapore we can get yellow belly indian ocean regals are from sri lanka.... and condition for the fishes are ok- ok only...

pacific ocean regals can come from vanuatu, fiji, indonesia, philippines... these are all in the pacific ocean and are all grey belly.

but regals from indonesia and philippines are the worst. terrrible success rate. vanuatu and fiji ones are MUCH better.

so you see?

saying this ocean and that ocean is easy. but when you break down the oceans and look clearly at individual locations, then the basic rule of (indian ocean is better than pacific ocean) is questionable.

hope that helps......

Thanks bros for ur prompt reply. I guess we reefers better not buy those regals from indo and philipines even its cheap, because ultimately, it will die, as it is very difficult. Its sad thing to bring them home just to see them perish. No demand, no supply. Might as well get those yellow belly with much better survival rate..

• SRC Member

:blink: Based on my experience,Size ard 3"~4" adapts better than the larger specices.

However they are sensitive fish that may throw attitude at u and don't eat the next moment

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

:blink: Based on my experience,Size ard 3"~4" adapts better than the larger specices.

However they are sensitive fish that may throw attitude at u and don't eat the next moment

Bit worried after hearing this. I really love my Regal and want it to survive. Feel sad already after losing my baby frenchie. Maybe i will trap my Alpha Blueface angel before intro the Regal to my main tank. Meantime I will feed my Regal fat fat! He seems to eat the mysis, brine, nori seaweed and angel sponge formula that i throw at him. Btw, thanks for info bro.

• 5 months later...