Question on LED Power Supply

Terryz_

Seniors, I have been reading your on LED and post in this forum. I have a Aquatic Style 5 ft long, 1 ft deep wall tank and on a weekend bought this LED strip from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/40192361

Quite nice, just $99/-, have 7 interchangeable colour with a controller. However, there is no specification on the brightness of the LED (only state 6W), i would assume it is same rating as those in Sim Lim Tower.

Reckon this is similar to the ones I saw at Sim Lim Tower as well, just that Ikea ones has got everything ready, 4 strip, i just connect them up, almost about 4 feet and attached them to my current 28W T5, so i have a combination now. The IKEA LED come in a plastic tube, slim and can be joined side by side or have an extension to spead out between strips.

Initially, want to buy those USA powerbrite LED (http://www.current-usa.com/files/PowerBrite_Manual.pdf), but after doing some googling, realise that not available in Singapore.

Am keeping some muchrooms and zoas...

This week I try:

Day time still on my T5 (12-9pm), only at nite (8pm-11pm) - on LED. Will see how my corals do. I am not sure if just running the LED alone will be enough for my corals, so for now still rely on the T5, the LED more to beautify the lighting. My corals are placed about between 4inch to 8 inch from the top.

Will post some pictures when I have time..

Pls feel free to comment.

5x1x0.5ft wall tank;Tunze9002;Tunze pump mini;Hydor Koralia Nano;dymax vortex w8;Gex aqua turbo fan (M); 4ft T5-28W; IKEA LED Dioder Strip; 45inch single DIY White LED strip(SMD5050 300led/5m reel waterproof type)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seniors, I have been reading your on LED and post in this forum. I have a Aquatic Style 5 ft long, 1 ft deep wall tank and on a weekend bought this LED strip from IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/sg/en/catalog/products/40192361

Quite nice, just $99/-, have 7 interchangeable colour with a controller. However, there is no specification on the brightness of the LED (only state 6W), i would assume it is same rating as those in Sim Lim Tower.

Reckon this is similar to the ones I saw at Sim Lim Tower as well, just that Ikea ones has got everything ready, 4 strip, i just connect them up, almost about 4 feet and attached them to my current 28W T5, so i have a combination now. The IKEA LED come in a plastic tube, slim and can be joined side by side or have an extension to spead out between strips.

Initially, want to buy those USA powerbrite LED (http://www.current-usa.com/files/PowerBrite_Manual.pdf), but after doing some googling, realise that not available in Singapore.

Am keeping some muchrooms and zoas...

This week I try:

Day time still on my T5 (12-9pm), only at nite (8pm-11pm) - on LED. Will see how my corals do. I am not sure if just running the LED alone will be enough for my corals, so for now still rely on the T5, the LED more to beautify the lighting. My corals are placed about between 4inch to 8 inch from the top.

Will post some pictures when I have time..

Pls feel free to comment.

I find it expensive... I think most DIY Guru could do it within that budget but if you are looking for visual, it is might be good enough... And the wattage is too low for corals...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

I find it expensive... I think most DIY Guru could do it within that budget but if you are looking for visual, it is might be good enough... And the wattage is too low for corals...

I suppose you are right. I saw this TMC aquaray flexi LED on the UK website, which say it is supplementary lighting, the IKEA one quite similar just that it is in a casing:

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/aquared-flexible-led.asp

It says :

"Suitable for marine and freshwater aquaria.

Supplementary lighting only - designed to be used in conjunction with other forms of lighting. "

5x1x0.5ft wall tank;Tunze9002;Tunze pump mini;Hydor Koralia Nano;dymax vortex w8;Gex aqua turbo fan (M); 4ft T5-28W; IKEA LED Dioder Strip; 45inch single DIY White LED strip(SMD5050 300led/5m reel waterproof type)

This is the IKEA LED Diorder LED strip:

post-18451-0-64864800-1307955825_thumb.j

I find that it all depends on the wattage and the height of your tank?

Bro, for LED I read somewhere that it depend on brightness which is measured in K ( some had said like 8-10K ) and yes height or depth of tank? For T5, wattage apply? As for LED, wattage tends to be lower than T5. So for normal corals like zoas and mushrooms, for height/depth of tank of just 1 ft, what is minimum LED requirement to be sufficient?

Kindly correct and advise if I am wrong. Thanks.

Bro, for LED I read somewhere that it depend on brightness which is measured in K ( some had said like 8-10K ) and yes height or depth of tank? For T5, wattage apply? As for LED, wattage tends to be lower than T5. So for normal corals like zoas and mushrooms, for height/depth of tank of just 1 ft, what is minimum LED requirement to be sufficient?

Kindly correct and advise if I am wrong. Thanks.

The K is color temperature if not wrong,

I am not really sure becos LED is stil quite new, Many say minimum is 3w per LED... Lower than that is insufficient, but If a lot, it might still work I guess..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

The K is color temperature if not wrong,

I am not really sure becos LED is stil quite new, Many say minimum is 3w per LED... Lower than that is insufficient, but If a lot, it might still work I guess..

Thank Bro for replying in the "wee" hours of the morning, u are an OWL. :thumbsup:

I got this googling the web, but seem to apply only to non LED lighting:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/lightslightingsetups/tp/BYBreeftanklighting.htm

Before You Buy Reef Tank Lighting

By Stan & Debbie Hauter, About.com Guides

Most novice and many experienced saltwater aquarists are hesitant to start a reef tank or upgrade their Fish Only or Fish Only with Live Rock tank to a reef tank because they don't understand the lighting requirements of corals and/or they believe the high price of reef tank lighting is out of their reach. Here is a simple explanation of how much lighting you will need for your reef aquarium and light fixture pricing information.

Reef Tank Lighting "Rule of Thumb"

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/lightslightingsetups/ss/sslightingfundamentals_2.htm

The simple "rule of thumb" explanation of the lighting requirements for corals is: Three and a half (3 1/2) watts of over 6700K lighting for each gallon of tank water for soft corals and four and a half (4 1/2) watts of over 6700K lighting for each gallon of tank water for hard corals. An example would be a 55 gallon tank would require 192.5 watts (55 X 3.5) of light for soft corals or 247.5 watts (55 X 4.5) for hard corals. There are exceptions to the rule of thumb (some coral species require more or less light than their hard or soft brethren), but for the most part, the "rule" is workable.

This is the rule of thumb chart:

post-18451-0-55557400-1308017232_thumb.j

• SRC Member

haha yeah...expensive. oh since you're looking for leds for 1ft then i think it might work. you can head down to sim lim tower level 1... its a really2 small shop right beside the stairs for the back exit. the shop is run by a man and an old auntie. you can buy all the parts needed and they can fix up everything for you. All you need to do is tell them the length you want and rig it up into a fixture like how i did. oh and they take only cash payment :) enjoy your leds!

Hi reckless,

All parts include the LED and DC adapter and what else?

Can I know the color temperature of the pure white LED from that shop you bought from...and also for the blue color, just tell them blue led?? possible to give the break down of the cost? :P

So the best bang for the buck is to get from simlim tower or dealextreme?

which product? and what color temperate and power rating?

:ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

the led strip from SLT looks good

pure/cool white likely should be 6000-10k

saw "10000" printed on the led reel but not sure refer to life span or color

anyway good price can give a try :thumbsup:

I find that it all depends on the wattage and the height of your tank?

Bro, some pictures. I secure the IKEA LED onto the T5 holder.

post-18451-0-18758400-1308102162_thumb.j

post-18451-0-40681100-1308102168_thumb.j

the led strip from SLT looks good

pure/cool white likely should be 6000-10k

saw "10000" printed on the led reel but not sure refer to life span or color

anyway good price can give a try :thumbsup:

Bro, is tis the flexible strip type or encased in plastic/acrylic casing? Which shop at SLT? Did you go to the one recommended by CFOH who posted earlier?

( "Continental Electronic Enterprise".. Unit #B1-25, SimLim Tower.. look for mr TH Khoo.. u can consult him or his bro...or contact them @ 62922032/62934674.. They do carry above LED...")

• SRC Member

Bro, is tis the flexible strip type or encased in plastic/acrylic casing? Which shop at SLT? Did you go to the one recommended by CFOH who posted earlier?

( "Continental Electronic Enterprise".. Unit #B1-25, SimLim Tower.. look for mr TH Khoo.. u can consult him or his bro...or contact them @ 62922032/62934674.. They do carry above LED...")

the flexi type

yes from "Continental Electronic Enterprise"

too bad the blue led color temp from SLT shops is a mystery ... should be ard 4xx ba

the flexi type

yes from "Continental Electronic Enterprise"

too bad the blue led color temp from SLT shops is a mystery ... should be ard 4xx ba

Thanks for info, will check it out when I can find time to go again. Last sunday, pop down for a while to get some adaptor, just browse but some shops not open on sunday.

Thanks for info, will check it out when I can find time to go again. Last sunday, pop down for a while to get some adaptor, just browse but some shops not open on sunday.

Most of the SLT shops r open from Mon - Sat after 10.30am.Sunday is a lost cause.

The 3M glue for the flexible 1m led strip requires a layer of insulation viz. a layer of thermal paste or similar, when mounted on an unpainted metal bar support as the heat will cause the glue-backing to melt n cause a short-circuit. They usually leave out this point. Those made to order type do not have this problem.

Hope this helps u 2 save some money. NB. Lost 2 blue strips due to the above-mentioned setback.

• SRC Member

Most of the SLT shops r open from Mon - Sat after 10.30am.Sunday is a lost cause.

The 3M glue for the flexible 1m led strip requires a layer of insulation viz. a layer of thermal paste or similar, when mounted on an unpainted metal bar support as the heat will cause the glue-backing to melt n cause a short-circuit. They usually leave out this point. Those made to order type do not have this problem.

Hope this helps u 2 save some money. NB. Lost 2 blue strips due to the above-mentioned setback.

use cable-tie or wire to tie it to the bar for double protection if dont mind a bit ugly

that is what i plan to do.. safety first

use cable-tie or wire to tie it to the bar for double protection if dont mind a bit ugly

that is what i plan to do.. safety first

OK :thumbsup: , thanks for the good advice. I would reckon that the 3M double side tape would also not be advisable?

OK :thumbsup: , thanks for the good advice. I would reckon that the 3M double side tape would also not be advisable?

Go for heavy duty 3M DS tape should be OK.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Go for heavy duty 3M DS tape should be OK.

The idea of attaching the led strip to a metal base is to enable the heat produced to dissipate, hence the use of heat sinks.

NB. The strips do produce quite a bit of heat else I'd be using PVC rods to support the strips instead of aluminium bars; resulting in the possibility of a short-circuit.

The idea of attaching the led strip to a metal base is to enable the heat produced to dissipate, hence the use of heat sinks.

NB. The strips do produce quite a bit of heat else I'd be using PVC rods to support the strips instead of aluminium bars; resulting in the possibility of a short-circuit.

Hi bro,

Go for "Bond-Ply" adhesive tape If you are using the aluminum bar as a heat sink. It come with a few sizes for different purposes and it will not drop out after you sticked it.

Info can read from my post at

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

the heat produce by the led should not be a problem for PVC rod ba.. else use PVC trunking can?

i was thinking of using acrylic or wood strip :blink: ... so it could be dangerous?

brass strip ok? brass good for dissipating heat?