Question on LED Power Supply

Terryz_

Hi all, sorry i havent got the time to check out the updates here. anyways, i have since add more led strips to my led fixture. so far so good. More brighter, and corals responding very well to it.

as for the Led strips, mine is with the normal 3M double sided tape... though not advisable by some bros, i'm keeping an eye on it to see if it gives way or not. will make neccessary changes then.

About the Ikea leds, i went to check it out a couple of times before... my own personal opinion... its not bright enough... more of a decoration light... then again, what works for me might not work for someone else and vice versa.

and lastly, my leds are pasted right onto the reflective film( if thats what its called) of the light fixture...heat wise is still bearable.fixture can still be touched.

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh btw, I still have about 10cm length of Led strip to spare ( White ) for any bros who are interested. very useful and bright enough for sump / refugium and mangrove plants and macro algaes. But need your own DC adapter and wirings... so you'll need to do your own soldering. willing to trade with any small coral frags.

any bro interested, do drop me a msg at 96494145. thanks!

Mods, please do help me transfer my post to swop2 thread if its more appropriate there. Thanks a bunch!

Got this website, seem that they have wide range of LED strips and different type, flexible , rigid, waterproof, non waterproof,etc.

Seem that majority Using SMD3528 and smd5050 LED chip. Only thing, order line, need to incur freight, etc.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/

5x1x0.5ft wall tank;Tunze9002;Tunze pump mini;Hydor Koralia Nano;dymax vortex w8;Gex aqua turbo fan (M); 4ft T5-28W; IKEA LED Dioder Strip; 45inch single DIY White LED strip(SMD5050 300led/5m reel waterproof type)

Hi bro,

Go for "Bond-Ply" adhesive tape If you are using the aluminum bar as a heat sink. It come with a few sizes for different purposes and it will not drop out after you sticked it.

Info can read from my post at

Hello fren,

Wouldn't the tape prevent the heat from dispersing? BTW I did buy the thick 3M double-sided tape from NTUC but the outcome was far from suitable.

S mentioned earlier, I've a 2-feet ready-made led-tube being used s a ceiling light. Time and again I've touched the surface of that light n it's just warm.

But the surface of the led strip is hot, man; just like that of an ordinary flourescent lamp.

NB. Driver for ceiling light is 9v 3A and that for the led strip is 12v 2A. Diff is only 3watts. Out of curiosity, I've connected the ceiling light to the driver of the

led strip n it turned out really bright and hot after a few seconds. The 2 types of drivers came with the purchases.

That's why I'm sticking the led strip to an aluminium base, only to find out that the glue can melt n cause the light to short-circuit. I thought my problem was solved when I glued another strip with "No more nails' paste but again it's the heat factor.

Thks 4 the reply,

Finbir.

acrylic should be able to take the heat ba

how come will short circuit?

there must be a point along the strip to allow attach :blink:

When u remove the non-stick cover of the 3M tape behind the flexible 1m led light strip u can see the layout of the circuit s the glue is quite thin. Like I'd mentioned earlier, I wanted the heat generated to disperse quickly s it can affect the performance of the lights. Hence I opted for an aluminium bar to attach the light strips. Unfortunately, the heat melted the glue and allowed the back of the strip to come into contact with the bar. At first u'll hear some crackling sounds (initially I thought there was a pistol shrimp in my tank) and that's the beginning of worse things to come... a sudden burnout of some of the leds on the strip.

U won't have this problem if the support is pvc or acrylic (but they r poor heat conductors ) and it's all a matter of getting rid of the heat in my case.

Hope the scenario is much clearer now,

Finbir.

hi reckless, can I know the DC adapter that you are using for the led strip? or what is the requirement?

how many volt and current? is 12V / 1.2A sufficient? Thanks

Hi bro, its the normal adapter u use for netbooks and laptops 12v... you just need to diy alil to joint the wires.soldering might help.

• SRC Member

ic ... then better dont rely on the glue to stay attached

maybe i dont bother so much with the heat first

will go for pvc or acrylic in between and metal strip behind

can dissipate some heat good enough liao

anyway likely only turn on for around 5hrs

Hello fren,

Wouldn't the tape prevent the heat from dispersing? BTW I did buy the thick 3M double-sided tape from NTUC but the outcome was far from suitable.

S mentioned earlier, I've a 2-feet ready-made led-tube being used s a ceiling light. Time and again I've touched the surface of that light n it's just warm.

But the surface of the led strip is hot, man; just like that of an ordinary flourescent lamp.

Hi bro,

Do not compare 3M tape with Bond-Ply tape as It's designed for LED's heat dispensing purposes.

Bond-Ply is thermally conductive, electrically isolating, pressure sensitive adhesive pad/tape. It meant for the round metal core pcb used for assembled LEDs. This pad makes it easy to fasten the round base directly to a heat sink without the need for screws or messy compounds and adhesives. The bonding become stronger when heat increased so you would not afraid of the LED to drop off.

Fore more info on.Bond_Ply 100

NB. Driver for ceiling light is 9v 3A and that for the led strip is 12v 2A. Diff is only 3watts. Out of curiosity, I've connected the ceiling light to the driver of the

led strip n it turned out really bright and hot after a few seconds. The 2 types of drivers came with the purchases.

That's why I'm sticking the led strip to an aluminium base, only to find out that the glue can melt n cause the light to short-circuit. I thought my problem was solved when I glued another strip with "No more nails' paste but again it's the heat factor.

You are overdriving the LED strip that why the LED burnt off. FYI, LED is current driven not voltage driven so increase current over manufacturer's LED spec will definitely burnt off the LED or shorten the LED life span. Pls take note and read more.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Hi bro,

Do not compare 3M tape with Bond-Ply tape as It's designed for LED's heat dispensing purposes.

Bond-Ply is thermally conductive, electrically isolating, pressure sensitive adhesive pad/tape. It meant for the round metal core pcb used for assembled LEDs. This pad makes it easy to fasten the round base directly to a heat sink without the need for screws or messy compounds and adhesives. The bonding become stronger when heat increased so you would not afraid of the LED to drop off.

Fore more info on.Bond_Ply 100

You are overdriving the LED strip that why the LED burnt off. FYI, LED is current driven not voltage driven so increase current over manufacturer's LED spec will definitely burnt off the LED or shorten the LED life span. Pls take note and read more.

Hi bro,

Thks 4 the detailed info regarding Bond-ply and current usage. S mentioned earlier, I trusted the SLT chaps 'cos I'm no electrician. Even after showing them the mishaps they still insisted that it's "my fault" n that I should've used another layer of insulation (which I did with another new strip but to no avail) to prevent the burn-out. BTW those led strips come with the 3M tapes n one is supposed to just peel off the seal n stick to wherever one wants to light up. That simple or so it seems. I'd even mentioned the duration of usage to them n they said 10-15 hrs per day is no problem.

Thks once again for the interest,

Finbir.

On leave today, went down to SLT, got myself from #B1-32:

2x1m flexible LED waterproof pure white, Unlce Boss was kind enough to cut and join, solder for me 45inch length. Took the brightest strip that they have. Using the already attached 3M (provided), stuck the LED next to my IKEA multicoloured LED strip. Am using my existing T5 tube holder as support. This mean I can either on my white T5 or choose to on the LED pure white flexible strip. After comparing the 2, the pure white LED that I got is brighter.

Damage:

1. 2x $27 ( for the LED strips)

2. AC-DC adaptor12v = $11

3. 1xswitch= $1.50

4. 1m cable FOC

5. 2connector from LED strip to AC-DC 12v adaptor FOC

Total= $66.50

Went to the Continental electronics that was recommended, but shop was quite busy, stumble on the small corner shop at B1-32. Uncle boss said normally he dun solder for customer but as it was early in the morning, he was free, so do it as a goodwill gesture. Thus saved me the trouble of buying solder gun and solder. He was kind enough not to charge me.

The waterproof LED strip I got is basically the flexible type that is cover with a clear rubber coating. Quite a few shops do carry this . I wanted a complete piece of 4feet long or 45 inch long but non have this. Most LED strip come in 1m length. Saw a few shops with regid LED strip on aluminum backing as well but max. 1m long. One shop even have a 1m length rigid LED tube with mixture of pure white and blue. Owner told me it is for marine, price was $288, look kinda of solid type unlike the LED flexible strip. This come with 2 hanging chain to secure from above.

Will post some pics when I can.

5x1x0.5ft wall tank;Tunze9002;Tunze pump mini;Hydor Koralia Nano;dymax vortex w8;Gex aqua turbo fan (M); 4ft T5-28W; IKEA LED Dioder Strip; 45inch single DIY White LED strip(SMD5050 300led/5m reel waterproof type)

Just check this website and realize the LED strip I got from SLT is called waterproof surface injection ( IP65 ) type.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/smd-3528-flexible-led-light-strips-18-leds-p-132.html

Just check this website and realize the LED strip I got from SLT is called waterproof surface injection ( IP65 ) type.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/smd-3528-flexible-led-light-strips-18-leds-p-132.html

Seem that I got the SMD5050 tri chip model that is 300 LED per 5m type and it is the brightest at 4000-5000 MCD/LED. See specification chart below. White LED in White background.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/page.html?id=32

Seem that I got the SMD5050 tri chip model that is 300 LED per 5m type and it is the brightest at 4000-5000 MCD/LED. See specification chart below. White LED in White background.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/page.html?id=32

SMD5050, 300Leds/reel (5m), Flexible LED Strip lights, 3-LED Cuttable, DC12V, 72W/reel, 6A/reel, 120°, 5m/reel, Width : 10mm, On PCB with self-adhesive back.

Pure White: 6000-7000K

post-18451-0-79281800-1308269273_thumb.j

post-18451-0-01723900-1308269282_thumb.j

there are many interesting and suitable led light strip, tube and cree type

cheap and good

too bad the retail not sellin have to order in bulk

Ya, but think at SLT it seem can get quite a wide range now, similar to that website that I posted, just that if u ask shop owner they dun know about specification, u just have to identify them. Most of them also quite busy and they won't be bother entertainment u with the questions and they won't know much about marine tank,etc. That is my observation. Now that my lights are fixed, will be monitor my zoas..and see how they react and grow. Good luck to u on your DIY project.

On leave today, went down to SLT, got myself from #B1-32:

2x1m flexible LED waterproof pure white, Unlce Boss was kind enough to cut and join, solder for me 45inch length. Took the brightest strip that they have. Using the already attached 3M (provided), stuck the LED next to my IKEA multicoloured LED strip. Am using my existing T5 tube holder as support. This mean I can either on my white T5 or choose to on the LED pure white flexible strip. After comparing the 2, the pure white LED that I got is brighter.

Damage:

1. 2x $27 ( for the LED strips)

2. AC-DC adaptor12v = $11

3. 1xswitch= $1.50

4. 1m cable FOC

5. 2connector from LED strip to AC-DC 12v adaptor FOC

Total= $66.50

Went to the Continental electronics that was recommended, but shop was quite busy, stumble on the small corner shop at B1-32. Uncle boss said normally he dun solder for customer but as it was early in the morning, he was free, so do it as a goodwill gesture. Thus saved me the trouble of buying solder gun and solder. He was kind enough not to charge me.

The waterproof LED strip I got is basically the flexible type that is cover with a clear rubber coating. Quite a few shops do carry this . I wanted a complete piece of 4feet long or 45 inch long but non have this. Most LED strip come in 1m length. Saw a few shops with regid LED strip on aluminum backing as well but max. 1m long. One shop even have a 1m length rigid LED tube with mixture of pure white and blue. Owner told me it is for marine, price was $288, look kinda of solid type unlike the LED flexible strip. This come with 2 hanging chain to secure from above.

Will post some pics when I can.

Aha, 'tis the shop that sold me the blues as well as the white leds. Also went to the other shop u'd mentioned ....the $288 for sale one...

Now left with only one blue strip and one red strip. At the moment, m using 2 sets of complete 4' led-flourescent tubes from Light Vision costing $60 each.

Currently it comes in frosted covering and non-frosted. Each tube is rated 18w and appears like cool-white normal flourescent when switched on. Using a hand-held light meter sends the needle shooting over the 20 x1000 lux line at a distance of 15 inches from the light.

So far, no problem with the 2 complete white light sets. Light Vision (previously on 2nd flr of SLT) has relocated to Toa Payoh Industrial (check on the Net).

Actually more shops r springing up with similar offers and r posting on the Net.

Just for added info.

Finbir

• SRC Member

Bros,

I think this is something close to what we are looking for ... color temp, plus heat dissipation :thumbsup:

36-LED 612-Lumen String Light with Aluminum Alloy Shell - White Light (12V)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/36-led-612-lumen-string-light-with-aluminum-alloy-shell-white-light-12v-47301

- Ultra bright high intensity white 36-LED light

- With aluminum alloy shell

- Rated voltage: 12V

- Color: 8000~9000K white

- Luminous Flux: 576~612 LM

Bros,

I think this is something close to what we are looking for ... color temp, plus heat dissipation :thumbsup:

36-LED 612-Lumen String Light with Aluminum Alloy Shell - White Light (12V)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/36-led-612-lumen-string-light-with-aluminum-alloy-shell-white-light-12v-47301

- Ultra bright high intensity white 36-LED light

- With aluminum alloy shell

- Rated voltage: 12V

- Color: 8000~9000K white

- Luminous Flux: 576~612 LM

Bro, u study the pattern of the LED, yesterday at SLT B1, I saw something like this in one of the shop but only have in longest is 1m length in aluminum rigid casing, so I didn't buy as I need longer than 1m, guy tell me I have to go and get my own aluminum from some hardware shop in Jalan Besar and he will use flexible LED to mount. But I saw ready made ones like what u posted, u go check it out. If u enter from SLT main entrance, walk down stairs to B1, shop is on the right hand side near the end, he display quite a few LED on a display right..., u go recce...but I dun think they know specification, u need to study the LED pattern, maybe get a printout and see if it's similar. Good luck

• SRC Member

Bro, u study the pattern of the LED, yesterday at SLT B1, I saw something like this in one of the shop but only have in longest is 1m length in aluminum rigid casing, so I didn't buy as I need longer than 1m, guy tell me I have to go and get my own aluminum from some hardware shop in Jalan Besar and he will use flexible LED to mount. But I saw ready made ones like what u posted, u go check it out. If u enter from SLT main entrance, walk down stairs to B1, shop is on the right hand side near the end, he display quite a few LED on a display right..., u go recce...but I dun think they know specification, u need to study the LED pattern, maybe get a printout and see if it's similar. Good luck

Thanks! will check it out.

hardware shop aluminum may not get the right fit.

looks like today have to comb jalan besar & kelanta area

Thanks! will check it out.

hardware shop aluminum may not get the right fit.

looks like today have to comb jalan besar & kelanta area

Good luck,Bro, start from B1 of SLT