Skimmerless

Hello and good morning, can someone share thier views on going skimmerless and how important is it to have a skimmer?

If I do a 10% wc everyweek is it possible to go without a skimmer?

Thanks for reading.

• SRC Member

Hello and good morning, can someone share thier views on going skimmerless and how important is it to have a skimmer?

If I do a 10% wc everyweek is it possible to go without a skimmer?

Thanks for reading.

I have not installed a skimmer since day 1. Running on ATS since nov 10 without any water change. Right now N and P level still not satisafactory. I have redo my ATS, hope to improve it. U can refer to algaescubber.net for moreinfo.

Current tank

Past tank

• SRC Member

Yeah, one can opt to do more frequent WC in place of a skimmer. It's the effort & $$ consideration. Most human(including me) are lazy & let machine do the work as much as possible.

Skimmerless would require more parameter checks as you would need do perform high frequencies of nutrient export. Of course you will first need to see what's your tank's bioload and if just doing WC is sufficient in bringing the NH/NO levels to an acceptable range. Yes, all are lazy by nature, that's why we employ technology to work for us. Also think about if you were to be away for a while, without a skimmer that excess nutrient will be left in the water until your next WC.

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

It is possible if you have a nano tank with a very low Bio load . Just imagine if you have a 500 litres tank, you need to change 50 litres per week , the cost of doing so may eventually cost you a skimmer in a month time .blink.gif

It is possible to go skimmerless but u need to ensure the maturity of yr sys and have some biological filtration. Regular water chge can do the trick but think u must try and understand how often and each time based on yr bio load and corals requirement. A skimmer is not necessary meant for lazy reefers, it is a system that helps and also reduce chance of major crashes. Take for example, if yr fishes or corals died, a skimmer helps alot in cleansing yr tank water though water chge is still encouraged to dilute Amy toxic residue in the water. Without a skimmer and yr knowledge, water can turn foul fast. Why penny wise pound foolish if you treasure yr livestocks. Just my 2 cents worth comment.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

I suspect that subconsciously, I get the satisfaction seeing & smelling :sick: the dirty skimate being extracted from my tank water when I wash the skimmer collection cup. WC doesn't do that for me except back ache. :P

• Like 1

i have a 4x2x2.5 with a 3ft sump and does 10% WC everyweek.

So m i right to say that with a skimmer i dont have to do WC everyweek?

What do you keep in your tank? Whats in your sump? Frankly, whether u want to use skimmer or not is up to you...there are also many dif sorts of filtration.

chey, for such a big tank, if u dont overfeed or have lots of nps corals, then u may want to stick to wc if it works out. But its all really up to u. Like tunicate said, cleaning a skimmer cup is not gonna be fun, wc just takes more time and strength. HOwever, I still prefer getting a skimmer.

• SRC Member

Skimming is to allow the minute solid waste to combine with the tiny air bubbles to form a semi-solid foamy product which can be removed. If one has a low bio-load (a few fishes) then skimming is optional. If you are keeping corals, skimming is alos optional as perhaps these minute solid particles can serve as food for filter feeders like sponges, clams etc. So if we douse coral food, we normally off the skimmer to prevent the food from being skimmed off.

if you really opt to go skimless, then have the macro-algae srubber, using the algae to consume the solid waste partcles but these will take a longer amount of time. Of course water change is also good but cost and containers to store water is an issue.