Advise for newbie

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I'm interested in setting up a marine reef tank for my new house, but know nuts abt it and also have a tight budget and space constraint.

After taking some measurement, I have decided on a 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 cube tank with cabinet and preferbly a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 sump tank below.

Budget must not be more than $1000. Need advises on the 1) design of the main tank for a low maintenance marine setup....like overflow compartment, what should be inside the overflow compartment? How many compartment would i need for efficent filteration?

2) Design of the sump tank, what should be inside a sump tank? Preferbly the protein skimmer be inside the sump tank to maximise the space in the main tank. Which type of skimmer is recommended and roughly wats the price?

3) Recommendation of a tank maker and cabinet maker? Roughly the price range. So far my best quote is $240 for the 2.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 cube tank with internal overflow, $60 for a sump tank (donno what kinda design) , $300 for laminated cabinet. Are these prices reasonable? The problem with this tank maker is he dont sell marine stuffs , only make tanks so I donno if it will be more appropriate to just go down to a experience local marine fish shop and ask them to do a setup for me. Any recommedation?

4) Recommendation for lights and where to get them? What are the prices like?

5) Recommendation for pumps, what's the price?

6) What other items are needed ?

7) What kinda filteration system is recommended for reef and fish tank? canister filter, trickle filter, deep sand bed, box filter, power filter, sponge filter, undergravel filter?

8) Anyone with quotation under $1000 for this setup is welcome to email me at james72@starhub.net.sg

p/s: I'm going to try without a chiller for the time being due to budget constraint.

Any advises will be appreciated......:-)

Thanks,

James

james72@starhub.net.sg

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

HI james welcome to the club :D ok

2) you can put coral chips , and make a deep sand bed and filters wool active carbon ceremarics rings in the sump and of course a return pump. Protien skimmer, if you want a good and reasonable priceskimmer go for WEIPRO together with weipro pump to run the skimmer. :D

No idea for QNS 3

4) what kind of tank are you thinking of keeping, a reef tank , fish-only with rocks or .....SPS LSP ... if reef tank i think you need a Mh lights or if fish only you can just have a FL lights or PL

5) pumps>> What pump .return pump.. ?? i can recomand you this brand.. good and reliable EHIEM.. :peace:

6) yOu might want to buy a test kit Sand ....

7) for you if you have a sump then its good enough.. :yeah:

MOST of all .. Do more reading before seeting up a marine tank

HOPE all this infomation may help.. :D Happy reefing :thanks:

• SRC Member

Let me start the ball rolling...

Actually, you;d be able to find the answers to your questions if you use the search engine instead of asking basic questions that irks some people :P

JUST KIDDING...!!!!!

I cannot tell you what to do.. you'd have to decide for yourself what is the best method for you after you size up the vast information vault this site potentially can be.

What I can do is to tell you my mistakes from my own experiences so that hopefully you do not have the misfortune of falling foul yourself.

1. My tank is 3 x 1.5 x 2ft. I am having some difficulties trying to place my rocks properly (I don't have fishes or corals yet coz of my water parameters but that's another story. You can always use the search engine and read up if it interests you). With a 2.5ft tall tank, unless you have extra long arms and/or extremely thick sand bed, I think you might have more difficulty. It should also prove more challenging to scape a cube tank since you would not have enough width to build the base for your rocks. :rolleyes:

2. Sump tank should have at least 3 compartments. Protein skimmer in the first compartment. The design should be such that the water from the overflow/downflow should pass through the filter medium first before going from the bottom of the tank and up and over into the middle compartment where some people eep a refrigium. Water flows over the top (this time, not under) into the third compartment where your return pump sends it back to the main tank. In any case, the water level in the first compartment must not touch the filter medium. If your tank is designed and planned properly, you should cater for the upflow to be channelled back to the main tank using a powerful pump. This will eliminate the need for ugly powerheads or wave makers in your main tank as well as ensuring a high turnover rate for your water (i.e. that your overflow does not "underflow"). Or so I am told. I did NOT do all these and as a result I will need to draw out the water from my tank so that I can fix the problem. Very messy... :(

3. LFS charge high for complete solution, some of which you might realise in time to come that you do not need. Better to read up enough, use the search engine or spend $$$ to remedy your mistakes. I know a responsible tank maker but don;t think he's a sponsor of the site so not convenient to say out loud :rolleyes:

4. Lights. Different brands, different prices, different quality. I got mine from Glare (his username here). Fortunately, he is a sponsor of the site so I think I will not infringe any rules by stating his name. You may want to consult him about lights. Do ask around different LFS also.

5. One thing you should take note is the temperature of the area where you would be placing your tank. If your house too hot and no air-con, you need a chiller. Cheap 2nd ones offeered by reefers here around $300. New ones more costly. Water temp to stay below 28degrees if you want corals.

6. Your budget of $1000 looks a bit impossible. My rocks already cost me more than $360. Plus tank, pump, sump tank, cabinet, test kits, chiller, sand, skimmer... Better save up more $$$ first. This is by no means a cheap hobby.

Enuff said... wait people say I blind leading the blind B) . But above all are my mistakes and I learnt from them the hard way. So since you do not yet have a tank, read more and find out more, then do a realistic budget before you start on it. Life is a cruel teacher. It punishes you first then gives you the lesson. The only way for mistakes to be made by the ignorant is for the wise guys to do nothing (so by sharing my "stupidity" with you, hopefully you don't make the same mistakes :eyeblur:)