White Lines - OUT from Sea Cucumber

Golf

• SRC Member

Hi Fellow Hobbists !

I bought a Black sea cucumber yesterday...thinking of getting this kind fellow to clean my sand bed. Instead...it cleans mostly on my LR first...then this morning...I noticed a BIG pile of WHITE LINES (looks like floating strings) coming out from the Black Sea Cucember.

May someone advise is that normal....didn't notice that when I bougt from LFS. See pictures attached.

post-7-1073519074.jpg

• SRC Member

What should I do now, remove it immediately or leave it there ?

If it is toxin....guess I should remove it right ? Or was it a toxin...can some experts to teach....as I thought sea-cucumber is not that difficult....something like turbo snails.

Please help!!!

Golf

• SRC Member

:cry: I tried to remove those "white lines/threads" released from Black Sea Cucumber......it is very sticky..lump together when contact with each other. :erm: Some of the "white threads" even stick onto the rock...cannot remove.

:D The good news is ....All LS and Corals OK...so far.

But one strange new item found (see attached photo)....looks like some form of internal organ or "womb" being attached into a hole of a LR.....with plenty of sticky "white threads" covering around it.

:paiseh: Any idea???? Baby Sea-Cucumber or ????

Thanks for your advise !!! :thanks:

post-7-1073536485.jpg

• SRC Member

yucks

yeah its the cuke ejaculating its internal organs out.

did something stress it out or it got caught in the filter?

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

I think this is a good time for a large waterchange and lotsa carbon.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
:cry: I tried to remove those "white lines/threads" released from Black Sea Cucumber......it is very sticky..lump together when contact with each other. :erm: Some of the "white threads" even stick onto the rock...cannot remove.

:D The good news is ....All LS and Corals OK...so far.

But one strange new item found (see attached photo)....looks like some form of internal organ or "womb" being attached into a hole of a LR.....with plenty of sticky "white threads" covering around it.

:paiseh: Any idea???? Baby Sea-Cucumber or ????

Thanks for your advise !!! :thanks:

looks more like int. organs than baby cuke.. have u fish out the cuke yet?

Immediate water change... immediate use of carbon and polyfilters.

The internal guts are toxic and may pose a danger to your tank inhabitants. Remove them asap (u did already right?)

Something has stressed your sea cuke very badly. Find out what?

Monitor your sea cuke... if it dies... dispose fast. If it lives, it will be some time before it regenerates its internal organs.

• SRC Member

Thanks to AT, Roidan, Andy and all....

1. Make 50% water change yesterday.....remove LR, many corals and 3 fishes. Use 3 extra bags of carbon ....took almost 10hrs in total. Remora Pro skimmer works very well....hell lots of skimmate (almost cup full).

Caught a big crab and throw it away...while removing the LR.

2. Wah lau ! This morning my back and arms can feel the ache.....damned tired.

3. Check all LS/ Corals at 5am....all alive and OK. Corals openning and yellow tang go swimming happily around...eating well at 7am (a moment ago). Will continue monitor....and update you guys...

4. Sea Cuke is still alive...but remove and put inside hospital tank..... suspected cause of stress due to bite from Crab....as if it is due to stress....should have seen it within a few hours...not after a day.

One again...thanks to all your immediate response. It is much appreciated.

:bow::thanks: Golf

• SRC Member

Latest and will close this thread after this update.

1. :D Fortunately, all corals, clams, LS doing perfectly fine. One of the most sensitive LS, no sign of stress or white spots. Swimming normal and eating well..possibly wondering why the change in LR scaping.ke...ke...

2. :rolleyes: Remora Pro skimmate returns to normal........add some PSB Live Bateria to help minimising NO3 a moment ago.

3. After 50% water change yesterday, water parameter now :-

Salinity = 1.022

NH4 = 0ppm

NO2 = 0ppm

NO3 = 30ppm (quite high... :erm: )

4. Will change all Carbon Filters tonight.....if everything continues to run fine.

Thanks to all trhose who had contributed !!! :thanks:

Golf