Budget Pico/Nano tank, possible?

Evolutionz

• SRC Member

Dude, as mentioned before for tank of this size, using inefficient skimmer is even worse than not using skimmer at all.

Is it not the case of using a skimmer is better than not using one. With more frequent WC it is even better than using an average working skimmer.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

How come inefficient skimmer is worst den no skimmer? If I were to keep up 10% wc weekly + a skimmer won't it be better? And if I were to dose goodbye po4 I need a skimmer to take out the particles right? Please advice. Thanks!

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Hey bro I'm also not sure why its worse.. but if you want to use the iq skimmer you have to really carefully adjust the height and airflow into the skimmer.... I think the skimmer can act as a mechanical filtration, sometimes I can see small prices of dirt collected in the cup

• SRC Member

In layman terminology:

Scenario: If you're a boss and you have an employee that comes to work late/incompetent/give attitude problems, would you rather not have such an employee and do the work yourself?

Argument: But having more manpower is better than no manpower right?

You decide.

With inefficient skimmer (equivalent 5% WC) , your weekly WC is 10%.

Without skimmer, with frequent WC, your WC is 20%. This difference in 5% already overpowers the inefficient skimmer.

(this is just for your understanding. I'm not saying skimmer is comparable to WC)

Besides, skimmer also contributes to heat and takes up space. For smaller tanks, it is easier to do frequent WC (than larger tanks) which already does the work that a skimmer can do. For your goodbye po4, WC will remove the 'particles', you do not necessary need a skimmer for that.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Some updates.. changed the carbon and resin in my crystal pro and im finally getting 0 TDS!

anyway, installed my IQ skimmer(changed the wood to sanders 2) yesterday in my HOB and surprisingly, it fits perfectly. after running for a day, its starting to skim some light yellowish color.. will stop skimming tomorrow and let the tank cycle.

2013-02-03224413_zpsb13de0dd.jpg

filtration, had to leave the lid off.. the white filter bag contains some rowaphos.. will be adding purigen when tank finish cycling.

2013-02-03224421_zps2a6b56ac.jpg

did a slight rescape.. should be more circulation now among the rocks.

2013-02-03224441_zps855d2a0b.jpg

Noticed some of this small white dots that are alive and moving.. what are they?

2013-02-03224450_zpse5050a29.jpg

Thanks!

• SRC Member

great to hear that!

anyway, today is day 3 of running my IQ skimmer and i noticed the IQ skimmer is skimming green colored skimmate.. any reason why? should i leave it on or turn it off till tank finish cycling?

• SRC Member

My tank as of today, is cycling for 2 weeks already.. lots of pods sticking on the glass walls.

im seeing some green and brown algae surfacing on the sand as well as the rocks.. i know brown algae are normal but is green algae normal too? this few days i reduced my light period to only 2 hours per day..

Anyway, Today took readings of my tank all using API test kit after doing 10% WC :

Ammonia : 0ppm

Nitrite : 0ppm

Nitrate : 30ppm~

pH : 8.2

phosphate : 0.25

both ammonia and nitrite is 0ppm.. does this means my tank is cycled?

i wont be adding any livestock for at least another week though.. maybe another 2 weeks if i can tahan..

• SRC Member

What livestock you going to add ? Brown to green is normal. .. since you already waiting for so long why dont wait for another 1 week

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices