What do you think of this.....

blueheaven

Hi guys,

was just wondering what do you guys think if we start our own reefkeeping magazine? :yeah::yeah:

we can compile some of the popular threads, do product reviews, "Ask AT" section :eyebrow: , tank of the month, reefkeeping articles, SRC Reef Quiz etc.

we can print and distribute to various pet stores and the money collected can be used to develop SRC. :lol:

how about that?!!!

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

that's why i am opening this thread, to gain support

i am quite sure that SRC got enough people to do the job :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

im in.... no job now n waiting to enter poly.... den can also have recommended lfs.. maybe can goe dem to produce cuopon n vouchers for the readers.... get more businesss.... den let us hav more discount.Whkakakaka

hey that's a good idea, especially from our sponsors.

discount coupons would surely attract many people to purchase our publication. :D:D

LOL! I was just talking to someone about this today! :lol:

I know there is a phamphlet out recently in the market, quite ok for newbies except for some out-of-date methods and info... IMO probably taken off a reefkeeping book & summarized. It has quite poor editing too, lots of bad grammer and typos. -_-

Honestly, I have been thinking about it for some time already but I haven't discussed it with anyone yet.

I'm doing my own business now and it would not be a problem for me to pursue this as one of my ventures.

I wanted to do this a long time ago but decided that putting SRC online would have more interaction and better sharing of info. I can still come up with a magazine of reasonable standard if I can find time to do it.

I guess being an Editor for the past 4 years, writing for magazines and web media, an A1 for GP and a few years freelancing as an editorial assistant during my O/A levels coupled with reefing experience, could put me in good stead, yes, no? ;)

• Sponsor
LOL! I was just talking to someone about this today! :lol:

I know there is a phamphlet out recently in the market, quite ok for newbies except for some out-of-date methods and info... IMO probably taken off a reefkeeping book & summarized. It has quite poor editing too, lots of bad grammer and typos.  -_-

Honestly, I have been thinking about it for some time already but I haven't discussed it with anyone yet.

I'm doing my own business now and it would not be a problem for me to pursue this as one of my ventures.

I wanted to do this a long time ago but decided that putting SRC online would have more interaction and better sharing of info. I can still come up with a magazine of reasonable standard if I can find time to do it.

I guess being an Editor for the past 4 years, writing for magazines and web media, an A1 for GP and a few years freelancing as an editorial assistant during my O/A levels coupled with reefing experience, could put me in good stead, yes, no? ;)

You don't want to go there AT!!! :o Know enough magazine people to know this is not what one would want to do unless one has loads of money! This would be your money pit indeed. :cry2:

• SRC Member

AT, u have the experiences. And now have SRC. Furthermore u have a scary marine tank with giant equipments and a renovated marine room. LOL

I say go for it. Most probably u will succeed and better hurry up as this is a new concept, not much marines magazines in Singapore. Furthermore, made in Sigapore and can ask the government to support some financial backups. That will stabilised ur financial status

Mike,

Rest assured, publishing can be a good business if one is able to keep his overheads down and have a quality product that is an interesting read and credible... leading to an increase in readership/circulation which will add to advertiser confidence. Kinda like how SRC has quite a few sponsors online now! ;)

Anyway, IF I do it, I will probably start small & low budget.... hehehe.... print on toilet roll paper.... :lol:

I used to be the Editor for my old company's corporate newsletter... we printed our monthly editions with inkjets on photocopy paper, FPFC... took us two days of continuous printing.. I swear that printer was going to conk on us! :lol:

ok so the EDITOR position is taken up by AT

anyone else wanna volunteer? :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

Perhaps "volunteer" is not a good choice of word to use. <_< As per AT, "publishing can be a good business if one is able to keep his overheads down ...." :)

So, lets be realistic that this is gonna be a business venture. Those with business acumen, entrepreneurship and related resources may wanna consider. :idea::bow:

My two cents worth ....

• SRC Member

I spent most of the time on the Internet than reading books and magazines. Unless they are specific in nature, I'll read it. If it is general, I'll skip it.

Most of the Beginners to Advanced topic is already on the net. It is also interactive (you can ask question immediately and can get an answer in a short time, rather than wait for the next publication).

I'm not against setting SRC magazine, IMO the local market is not enough to cover the cost.

I do like photos only books. AT, probably you could do well publishing your diving photos of different dive sites.

I share the same sentiments as Bro Yazid. Too much effort and alot of commitment. Publishing the matterials is another cost. If it doesnt sell well, you will end up losing money.

Unless this is a venture with fulltime dedicated personnels overseeing it, I doubt it will be successful.

Just my personal opinion.

• SRC Member

Earlier posts are now showing some level headed ppl. It is important to realize that this is a biz venture and not to be taken lightly.

AT and intended team would need to consider their SWOT, i.e. strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. This is definitely not an intent to teach marketing (it is not my profession anyway), but bottom line is about money which is very close to my heart. lol :eyebrow::P

AT, being an editor of sort, would have realized who are his intended (wish) and real (factual) audience. Do we have a large customer base out there ? Can these folks sustain the publication ?

I like the views of Yazid who so honestly see the internet as a good source of information. I cannot agree more. On my part, I go to the library or buy authoritative books, besides surfing the net.

I sincerely apologize if I sounded negative, :( but I do not want to see AT and team losing their pants over this, but I honestly wish them well.

With best wishes ......

actually, we just need to sort out some initial problems , cost and everything. but what i hope of this publication is that it acts as an awareness to people out there setting up reef tanks. starting off right is always the best and i hope LFS owners will read and be inspired to do reefkeeping the proper way. B)B)

as to the short of topics, we could not only focus on reefkeeping but also on various reefs and their condition. one more thing to note is that the mag is not a forum. <_<

so let us pave this way for SRC to grow and develop into a full-fledged club of singapore and not just an online forum. :lol::lol:

anymore other comments?

i could be a scriptwriter if you don't consider my english to "chim" :lol::lol:

Bro,

My comments are too idealistic. Surely it is going to die a natural death unless you have dedicated people to do it. Probably even tougher than taking care of a baby.

Its a bottomless pit and you never know if you can recoup ur initial investment.

There are so many sources for information. What makes you think that ppl will spend $$$ buying your publication? How pricely its going to be is another factor.

Do you have the consumer base who will be willing to buy such publication rather than LS?

You need to cover labour cost, printing cost, distribution cost etc. So many things involved.

Think twice or even thrice.

ya so we need the mods to decide :lol::lol:

I second the thoughts on publishing ... because I'm eyeing the Editor-in-Chief position (since AT will be Editor). ;):D Yours truely was also an Editor before.

I think a magazine and a website are two different things. You could go do something along the lines of UK's Practical Fishkeeping. I don't think there will be a lack of advertisers.