New NanoTank Set up

• SRC Member

Hi all! I've just started a new nano cube with an IOS. I'm thinking of doing a reef set up. Wish me luck! I'm missing a chiller so I'm using a cooling fan for now. Here's some specs for now.

1ft x 1ft capacity of 40 liters tank

4 kg of dry sand

2 kg of dead rock

Ceramic Rings Filter media

Cycled using Microbacter7 and market prawn

Saltwater from Ah Beng Aquarium at Formosa

SG measured at 1.026 two weeks into cycle using ATC refractometer

PH 8.4

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 5ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

Swee~! It depends on how well you can maintain the temperature of your tank and what u intend to keep bro.. but chiller is still a good investment to have, fan may cause high evaporation for your tank and you must monitor your water level daily.

I use to run a cooling fan in the very beginning but i realised topping up 1 litre of water everyday is not gonna work out for me in the long run, salinity fluctuations is pretty dangerous too

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member

Yes you're right bro, that's my worry too. I'm on the lookout for either AL60 mini chiller or Hailea's 1/10 hp chiller. Any Lobang from the sifus here please share ok!

• SRC Supporter

I think hailea should be a better choice bro. It should take care of your pico easily, I have been using the hailea hs28 for my nano for almost 10 months.

Another thing to take note is the efficiency of the chiller. I can say the utilities increase for my hs28 is negligible, but I'm not so sure about AL60.

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advice bros! I managed to get a 2nd hand one at Iwarna for $180! Since it had no warranty I stayed there to make it worked before bringing it back. Also managed to get more dead rock to complete my aquascape; am happy with how it looks now! And happy with the fact that my water temp is a cool 26 deg Celsius!

post-25068-14355774859321_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

Here are some more new occupants to my tank, no thanks to the new friends I made here! :P Pacific reef had a new batch come in which I'm sure caused a wave of interest yesterday. I got a pair of clownfish and a bunch of green Yuma corals which was what I was looking for at the start. All at very cheap prices!

post-25068-14357099288339_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

Try to have more opening in the center of your scape for better circulation, just a suggestion.

Was thinking something similar, I recently read up that its always better to make sure only the smallest areas of live rock touch the sand bed. This prevents detritus building up underneath or in dark corners etc. over time. Sad to say, I made that mistake and now I have some rubbish collecting and rearrangement to do :chair:

Otherwise, your nano looks really cool!

Edited by tuajia

• SRC Member

Thanks all for the tip! It's hard to make that unless I have a lot of experience with the epoxy though. Here's a latest update! :) managed to get corals at JB yesterday, and a few trips down to Ah Beng in the past week. :)

post-25068-14360800237711_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi @ozhilong, it was not cheaper. The price is about the same as at Ah Beng. And there is a risk u may be spot checked so not worth it I realized. It was just that I happened to be there for a shopping trip with my wife and some friends so thought to swing by to check it out.

As for the quality the water tested to have about 80 ppm nitrates so I thought that was quite bad. However the pieces I picked looked bright and healthy thankfully.

Hi bro, was wondering the review on corals from jb? Cheaper? Quality wise?

Would not recommend you to get stocks in JB as the price there are alot higher than ah beng. Crossing customs are also another issue. choices are also limited there so take note

Wah 8rm per kg is incredibly cheap!! The cheapest in Singapore I know is sgd $8 per kg

Rocks can be cheaper but corals are not as what I know from the shop they also take live stocks from Singapore farm just for your information. So you understand liao hor live stocks from where is better.

• SRC Member

Hi guys! Here's the latest update on the tank! My hammer died. :( cos of strong flow so I've now readjusted. I'm also looking out for the rw4 cos it has different modes and can be set to pulse to mimic the ocean's current.

post-25068-14371915895788_thumb.jpg

Got the GSP as it is said to be good for new tanks.

post-25068-14371916230751_thumb.jpg

I also got a Midas Blenny! Cute little fella that likes to swim in between the clownfishes.

https://vimeo.com/133815589