Bulk DIY 3-stage DI unit

shootsimon

• SRC Member
Hi Simon,

This is kinda late, but if someone does drop out or if you have "excess" equipment, pls do count me in.

Cheers! and good luck in getting the orders thru!

Will let you know :rolleyes:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Sorry bro but I didn't want this to happen too. That's why I put the risk on my own money rather than asking you guys for a deposit :D and I based on your trust and patient not to aero when good arrive thats all B)

The filter housing are from across the crossway. I've tot of getting it from another source but that would mean higher cost as per unit might be about $10 to $15 more to us. And don't think they have the quanitity. As the quanitity is a bit large, the supplier has to get its factory to fabricate for our order. Didn't know it would take that long.

Thanks for understanding if we'll have to postpone it by another week :)

Yo bro shootsimon,

I may not be free next saturday. I would really like to come and try to postpone my other appointments. Otherwise, I just pay and pick up the items from you.

Thanks for the effort, I owe you one bro.

Hi shootsimon,

Am I too late to join in the session too?

3.5ft X 2 ft X 2.5 ft

Deltec Protein Skimmer AP 600 - Eheim Compact 1000

Deltec - NF 509

Teco RA 640 Chiller - Aqua-Bee UP 2000i Aquarium Pump

Aqua-Bee UP 7000 Aquarium Pump - return

Skimz Fluidized Reactor- Aqua-Bee UP 2000 tee off to NF 509 and CR

DE Lightings 8 x 39watts

Turbelle stream Kit TS07

• SRC Member

Good news guys!!! :lol: All items are in the house liao.

So confirm this Saturday 1 pm my place. Booze and light snacks as promised :D but don't expect buffet :lol:

Please call or sms me if you have issues on turning up :D

• SRC Member
Hope those who came had a fruitful session :D

Found an extra piece of tubing and a sediment filter. Did anyone forget to take? :blink:

Thanks for organizing such a wonderful session. :D

I have used the DI but don't have a TDS to measure. <_<

Might consider getting the inline TDS meter from RD. :P

• SRC Member

Really thanks for the session. Simon

I own you a frag of blasto, when I get my dremel and diamond wheel, I will frag

:D

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

Found an extra piece of tubing and a sediment filter. Did anyone forget to take? :blink:

I think i'm the one who forgetten to take the tubing :P

Many Thanks to Simon for arranging this DIY session.

• SRC Member

I think i'm the one who forgetten to take the tubing :P

Many Thanks to Simon for arranging this DIY session.

Let me know if you wanna drop by to collect :lol:

• SRC Member

Thanks simon,

The session was indeed fruitful. Get to see and learn a lot from the bros.

• SRC Member
oh simon forgot to ask the other day.. do u think the water from the DI unit can be used to in freshwater planted tanks?

Can but that would mean your plants has nothing to absorb liao :lol:

If its algea that you wanna prevent for your planted tank, think you should look into the lighting period. Most of use usually miss that out and that is mostly the culprit :P

• SRC Member

Can but that would mean your plants has nothing to absorb liao :lol:

If its algea that you wanna prevent for your planted tank, think you should look into the lighting period. Most of use usually miss that out and that is mostly the culprit :P

Haha that's ok, got enough nutrients from all the fish poo...

but the pH problem how bro?

Btw, just tried out the DI unit today.. works like a charm, no leaks (touch wood).. :)

Bro shootsimon, maybe you can consider selling such DIY DI units. I am sure there will be some bros willing to purchase from you. Too bad am late to read the thread, missed out the DIY session :(

• SRC Member

Just managed to fill the resin into the last canister. Used plastic food wrap to cover the top of the center pipe during the filling process. Managed to fill all the resin that Simon had provided by using a small disposable teaspoon to press down the last portion of the resin around the top of the center pipe.

Works well and have started making my first batch of salt water. Only problem I had was that there was a slight leak in the last small nozzle. Not a major problem as I don't have my unit permanently mounted.

• SRC Member
Just managed to fill the resin into the last canister. Used plastic food wrap to cover the top of the center pipe during the filling process. Managed to fill all the resin that Simon had provided by using a small disposable teaspoon to press down the last portion of the resin around the top of the center pipe.

Works well and have started making my first batch of salt water. Only problem I had was that there was a slight leak in the last small nozzle. Not a major problem as I don't have my unit permanently mounted.

:lol: Think all you need to do to stop that leak is to re-tape the thread or if the leak is from the nozzel it might be that the nozzel had been accidentally bend will transporting. Its a fragile piece of plastic but no worries I can get a spare for you, or you can try applying the tape over the nozzel area where it leaks :D

• SRC Member
Bro shootsimon, maybe you can consider selling such DIY DI units. I am sure there will be some bros willing to purchase from you. Too bad am late to read the thread, missed out the DIY session :(

Never tot of that and don't think I will. Its just to share and getting to know more reefers that's all. Anyone can get the parts and DIY themselves. Imagine if I do make them for sale, how much do you think you willing to pay for?

In the first place I didn't want to pay so much for one from LFS that's why I DIY one myself :lol: