OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

here's my take.

clowns are benthic spawners and social fishes. the males and females need to stay with each other long enough to express dominance/recession and start spawning.

also, since they are benthic, they lay eggs systematically and fertilize them on the spot.

chances of hybrids occuring is quite slim.

for angels, if they are very similar in complex like rusty/flame, lemonpeel/vroliki etc, then pelagic random egg scattering spawning may occur. and since they scatter their eggs and sperm in water, chances of cross-fertilisation between other species that may be spawning at the same time is likely to occur.

since most angels spawn at the same time during dusk.

Wa so "chim"! So many "bio" terms like benthic, dominance/recession, pelagic, cross-fertilisation bla bla bla... I've to google these words to understand, a torture for me.

But in conclusion u feel is a hybrid and i feel is a hybrid. At least i din buy the wrong fish.

• Senior Reefer

Wa so "chim"! So many "bio" terms like benthic, dominance/recession, pelagic, cross-fertilisation bla bla bla... I've to google these words to understand, a torture for me.

But in conclusion u feel is a hybrid and i feel is a hybrid. At least i din buy the wrong fish.

thats not bio!

if it's bio then i will use genetics which i did not coz i know no one will understand.

i love genetics.

anyway yah i feel it's a hybrid too!

Pls find below some Blue Devil Damsel (Chrysiptera cyanea) from various location... not sure, future may change name again?..

post-9248-0-18064600-1304344087_thumb.jp

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

This is a weird skunk clown i got recently.

The stripes on both sides of the clown is not equal in length. I feel it's a hybrid between A.Akallopisos and A.Perideraion as it has the stripes of Perideraion but the body colour of Akallopisos. What's your take?

My opinion is that it might be a Special Perideraion, The tail is white and pectoral are not really yellow... But the body color looks like Akallopisos but the color is very subjective...

But it might be a hybrid, anything is possible...

I see the pictus, SO NICE!!! Was attracted to it when I saw it but cannot confirm ID so din buy it...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

The palau version is v nice!

This is not bad too, Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish (Chrysiptera taupou) Close family to Chrysiptera cyanea.. :)

post-9248-0-29444500-1304347648_thumb.jp

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

the sex of the fish also determines colour.

if i'm not wrong, this fish is sexually dichromatic.

Ya, certain area, male Chrysiptera cyanea display yellow/orange tail, Female Chrysiptera cyanea display blue/transparent tail. and morphing will be another form such as translucent fins.. Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

My opinion is that it might be a Special Perideraion, The tail is white and pectoral are not really yellow... But the body color looks like Akallopisos but the color is very subjective...

But it might be a hybrid, anything is possible...

I see the pictus, SO NICE!!! Was attracted to it when I saw it but cannot confirm ID so din buy it...

The tail is white because both akallopisos and perideraion have white tails. Only sandaracinos have yellow tails and that is why i rule out it being a hybrid with sandaracinos. Furthermore the skunk has yellow pectoral fins, not a very strong yellow, but defnitely not the white translucent pectorals the perideraion has.

Orangy perideraion with yellow pectoral and pelvic fins only comes from Fiji and is v rare. All the perideraion from indonesia have a brownish pink to pink colouration with white pectorals. As such getting an orangy yellow perideraion is v unlikely from indonesia. On the other hand akallopisos is always orangy yellow to brownish yellow.

However I do not discount the possibility that it may be an aberrant perideraion and not a hybrid. However it'll be more interesting if it is a hybrid because both the parents species are so common and found in the same area and yet the hybrids are almost unheard of or either that went unnoticed everytime.

• Senior Reefer

super rare takeuchii swallowtail angels in the wild!

also many interruptus angels weaving in and out of the rocks, and female watanabei angels!

there's also 2 species of cardinals which i cannot identify!

The tail is white because both akallopisos and perideraion have white tails. Only sandaracinos have yellow tails and that is why i rule out it being a hybrid with sandaracinos. Furthermore the skunk has yellow pectoral fins, not a very strong yellow, but defnitely not the white translucent pectorals the perideraion has.

Orangy perideraion with yellow pectoral and pelvic fins only comes from Fiji and is v rare. All the perideraion from indonesia have a brownish pink to pink colouration with white pectorals. As such getting an orangy yellow perideraion is v unlikely from indonesia. On the other hand akallopisos is always orangy yellow to brownish yellow.

However I do not discount the possibility that it may be an aberrant perideraion and not a hybrid. However it'll be more interesting if it is a hybrid because both the parents species are so common and found in the same area and yet the hybrids are almost unheard of or either that went unnoticed everytime.

How come I am getting search results that akallopiso have yellow tail... LOL!!! And if the yellow pectoral is present, it might be hybrid as perideraion dun have yellow pectoral.. And the stripe makes it special too...

There are more special ones in previous ah beng shipment... Some only have a dot on each side instead of stripe... That is quite nice...

Member of:

How come I am getting search results that akallopiso have yellow tail... LOL!!!

Tat is becos many pics of sandaracinos are mislabelled as akallapisos. Those tat are yellow tails are pics of sandaracinos and not akallapisos.

To make matter worse, A.Pacificus range also overlap with A.perideraion, so i may be a hybrid of pacificus and perideraion too.

Guess anything is possible. It is not beautiful but it is exciting to have such ambiguous fish in my tank so i'll keep it.

It does not pair with my theillei but neither are they fighting.

Tat is becos many pics of sandaracinos are mislabelled as akallapisos. Those tat are yellow tails are pics of sandaracinos and not akallapisos.

To make matter worse, A.Pacificus range also overlap with A.perideraion, so i may be a hybrid of pacificus and perideraion too.

Guess anything is possible. It is not beautiful but it is exciting to have such ambiguous fish in my tank so i'll keep it.

It does not pair with my theillei but neither are they fighting.

Yeah, as long as you like it... LOL... I think it might pair up with the theillei, they take quite while to pair if the skunk is a small one...

Member of:

Yeah, as long as you like it... LOL... I think it might pair up with the theillei, they take quite while to pair if the skunk is a small one...

It is hard to keep a clown tat dun die of brooks in my tank like the thiellei. So if this skunk dun get brooks den it'll continue to be in the tank.

super rare takeuchii swallowtail angels in the wild!

also many interruptus angels weaving in and out of the rocks, and female watanabei angels!

there's also 2 species of cardinals which i cannot identify!

Did u also see the big emperor angel at 0:47?

V healthy reef. So many fishes. I cant ID the cardinals also. The yellowtail chromis looks like Chromis opercularis but i dun it is.

The water is mostly 17 degree year round and the reef is still so vibrant and diverse with fishes.

• Senior Reefer

Did u also see the big emperor angel at 0:47?

V healthy reef. So many fishes. I cant ID the cardinals also. The yellowtail chromis looks like Chromis opercularis but i dun it is.

The water is mostly 17 degree year round and the reef is still so vibrant and diverse with fishes.

yes the huge emperor.

the reef is theming with fishes but no corals!

yes the huge emperor.

the reef is theming with fishes but no corals!

Got a lot of corals. Like sponges and softies, jux no huge colourful SPS colony becos the water is too cold.

Stunning videos of a juvenile and an adult male spotted angelfish, Genicanthus takeuchii from Reefbuiders Uploaded by aai8to.

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Trimma maiandros is a new nano goby that is widespread in the Indo-Pacific (ReefBuilders)

post-9248-0-17142500-1304469105_thumb.jp

Trimma maiandros is a new species of nano goby from the Indo-Pacific which was recently described. Although it seems like countless new species of Eviota and Trimma gobies are frequently described that are lacking in the color department, the new Trimma maiandros is far from bland. The beautiful coloration of Trimma maiandros reminds us of a cross between the candy cane goby, Trimma cana, and the coolwater classic Catalina goby, Lythripnus dahli.

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore