repost- DIY grounding probe

tigershark

• SRC Member

Instruction by AT to repost this topic- DIY grounding probe...

The picture below shows the main parts that is needed for the grounding probe & estimated cost.....

1) Titanium probe - you could buy it from local bicycle shop, just tell the boss you want to buy a titanium bicycle spoke. It should cost you somewhere ard $9 for 1. The titanium spoke is enought to cut into 1/2 and use to DIY 2 grounding probes.

2) 3 pin plug- cost you anything from $1.20 to $3.00 depends on the quality of the plug...

3) wire- you can use any wire that you could find... if you buy in hardware shop, it should cost you $0.50/metre. Lenght depend on your need.

4) wire connector- selling ard $0.80 ~$1.20 per 10 pcs. U need only 1 pc to connect the wire to the bicycle spoke.

5) Silicon- use to seal up all connection where it prevent the copper wireto contact with the SW.

Tools needed:

1) test pen,

2) wire cutter / penknife to cut the wire

total cost per grounding probe: $ 6.00 to $15.00.

post-9-1075611460.jpg

• SRC Member

the whole DIY proccess is very simple, 1st, cut the wire to the lenght you need. connect the wire to the "earth" in the 3 pin plug, if you dun know where is the earth, pls refer to the pic below. It is very important to connect the wire to the rite pin, if you connect the wire to the "live" pin, god bless u....

post-9-1075612073.jpg

• SRC Member

this is the titanium bicycle spoke that I mentioned previously, I've cut it to 1/2 so that I could use it in both of my marine tank. To leght of the spoke was originally 12", after cutting it into 1/2, it is 6" each and should be more than sufficient for most tank.

post-9-1075612346.jpg

• SRC Member

remarks- The original thread was posted ard 1 yr ago and it was lost after the SRC database having some problem. Bro Barracuda provide plenty of advise on this DIY and improvised/simplified the whole DIY proccess....

The whole diy proccess took less than 5 mins and it is very affordable... for my case, i spend $4.50 for each grounding probe caused most of the parts are available in my storeroom... eg- wire, connectors, silicon & etc....

hope this would help those who intend to buy a grounding probe but hesitated to pay $20~$30 sold in LFS.... :):)

• SRC Member
hmm... to discharge any electric current from the water? interesting... usually there won't be any electric current right? what are alternative materials to the bicucle spoke?

you can use titanium, platinum or even gold. As long as its inert in saltwater.

Carbon sticks works also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Anyone know exactly where to get the titianium rod? Checked with a few bike shops in North sector but can't find it. Thanks.

On the other hand... I did recall Tanzy had a write-up on possible negative effects of using it... something to do with the chemical inbalance or something....

• SRC Member
don't blame him ma.

He might not be too well versed with electrical stuffs.

Like that better not try DIY too dangerous, wait you go put the wire to the live and poof!

muahahaha....me also electrical-goondu but there is a universal usage for the 3-pin connector... :rolleyes:

remarks- The original thread was posted ard 1 yr ago and it was lost after the SRC database having some problem. Bro Barracuda provide plenty of advise on this DIY and improvised/simplified the whole DIY proccess....

The whole diy proccess took less than 5 mins and it is very affordable... for my case, i spend $4.50 for each grounding probe caused most of the parts are available in my storeroom... eg- wire, connectors, silicon & etc....

hope this would help those who intend to buy a grounding probe but hesitated to pay $20~$30 sold in LFS.... :):)

This is a very good DIY.Credit should go to whoever come up with this idea.

Regards

Sherman

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016