Carpet Anemone & Nassarius

hi all,

juz would like to share this eye opening experience.

about a week or so ago, i bought a longnose hawkfish and released it into my tank after proper acclimization. but somehow or rather, the fish panicked and swam straight down for my 4" purple carpet anemone. next thing i knew, the anemone began to engulf the longnose and the poor longnose was stuck to the anemone. i immediately pulled the longnose out of the anemone to a corner of my tank, alas it was too late. although the longnose was still breathing but it has oredi been burned badly. Within 5 secs, i witness my nassarius snails coming out of the sandbed and started their feast on the poor longnose. i was surprised that the nassarius were that sensitive. :o

put that aside, i was so angry wif the anemone that i decided to sell it off. so i began to pull the anemone out of my tank and place it in the refugium. but surprise surprise!!! the moment i took a closer look at the anemone, i saw the body of a near unrecognisable fish near the mouth of the anemone. the body was engulfed in a stuff which resembles chewing gum blown into a small balloon. upon further inspection, i realised the body was that of my 2.5" yellow tang which was missing a day b4. :(:(:(

the purple carpet anemone has since been sold to shawncel (which i hv warned about the anemone's capabilities).

i swear i will never keep carpet anemones again. not even other anemones. :cry::cry::cry:

R.I.P Yellow Tang and Longnose. :cry2:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

hi there,

sorry bout ur loss brother lightningstrike.

me myself have xperience the same thing...the blardy anemone got hold of my fire goby n consume it in less then

5 mins!!

but strange things is that my spotted damsels rub itself to the anemone n nothing happen.in fact the damsel colouration fades away n the next day it appears as a normal,

healthy,swimming n eating normally minus the white spots!!

any bros in here xperience the same thing too?

btw,sori if im hijacking ur thread bro lightningstrike.

• SRC Member

If I am not wrong, carpet anemone is sticky around the side only. so maybe ur damsel is only touching the center area.

I experienced the same situation as lightingstrike. In total I lost 2 purple tang & 1 blue tang to it. Either missing from the tank or died after I remove it from the carpet.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member
sell the damn carpets!!!! :cry2:

I really have a hard time removing it cause it's attached tightly to one of my base LR. Finally I wrap the cover rock with plastic bag. Few days later the carpet move down to sandbed. That's it. Should have done it earlier man. Fish lost already $100 whereas the carpet is only $20.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• 2 months later...