Calling all zoas keepers~

• SRC Member

I have been battling nudis for months, and the moment I think they are completely gone, one or 2 will start appearing in front of me.

I have dipped every zoa frag in my tank in Lugol's solution, examined closely for any eggs laid and picked them out with a pair of tweezers, and they just keep appearing! :pinch: Its getting quite frustrating... I tried keeping a yellow wrasse, even tried feeding it with one nudis, but it didn't bother. Died the next few days.

I have witnessed one of these pests happily crawling on the glass from the base to my frag rack, lay a ring of eggs at the bottom of the frag rock, and happily making its way back down. Tweezers time! Question at this point: are they able to multiply if accidentally dismembered in the tank?

Has anyone seen nudis with bright yellow dots on their "spines"? Seems like the ones in my tank have mutated beautifully... :ph34r:

Pls kindly share effective ways of getting rid of them?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
I have been battling nudis for months, and the moment I think they are completely gone, one or 2 will start appearing in front of me.

I have dipped every zoa frag in my tank in Lugol's solution, examined closely for any eggs laid and picked them out with a pair of tweezers, and they just keep appearing! :pinch: Its getting quite frustrating... I tried keeping a yellow wrasse, even tried feeding it with one nudis, but it didn't bother. Died the next few days.

I have witnessed one of these pests happily crawling on the glass from the base to my frag rack, lay a ring of eggs at the bottom of the frag rock, and happily making its way back down. Tweezers time! Question at this point: are they able to multiply if accidentally dismembered in the tank?

Has anyone seen nudis with bright yellow dots on their "spines"? Seems like the ones in my tank have mutated beautifully... :ph34r:

Pls kindly share effective ways of getting rid of them?

Few suggestions i have:

1) I think yours a nano tank. right.. if can afford the time, take out all the zoas and dip in fresh water + lugol.Then change

water??

I will immerse all my zoas( either from LFS or from other reefers) in fresh water at least 5mins even though there is

risk of stressing the zoa involved, before putting in tank. I believe Iwana also restarted their main tank when it was

infected badly..

2) Try 6 line wrasse. They are much more hardy and greedy..

These are my suggestions..

• SRC Member

freshwater dip and quarantine your zoas then check everyday , 100% safe then go into your tank

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks for the input, bros! I do dip mine like what you guys have suggested, except for the quarantine. I can't remember where I've read it, but these nudis may reside not only on the zoas colonies, but live rocks as well? Can anyone confirm this? Mine's a nano tank, so its still ok to dip all my rocks, but I do have other types of corals on rocks too. I don't think I can dip them...

For me, a yellow wrasse did the job (:

and I do agree on FW dip and for myself, I will put on my led headlamp and inspect any egg/nudi that is still possibly spared from the dip. They are easy to spot with a white led lamp so yeah, after that remove them and put them back into your tank. SO far SO good (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• SRC Member
Thanks for the input, bros! I do dip mine like what you guys have suggested, except for the quarantine. I can't remember where I've read it, but these nudis may reside not only on the zoas colonies, but live rocks as well? Can anyone confirm this? Mine's a nano tank, so its still ok to dip all my rocks, but I do have other types of corals on rocks too. I don't think I can dip them...

freshwater dipping only kills the nudists but cant kill their eggs, thats y i choose to quarantine them and give time for the eggs to be born 1st, but also depending on where i get the zoas from, if i get a nudis attack i might even decom, 30 plus rocks of zoas to do dipping and eggs hunting is no joke

Mix Reef Tank: 5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft mixed reef

Chiller: daikin 1hp compressor

Return: Red Dragon 6.5m3

Lighting: Aqua Lumen Ocean 4ft

Skimmer: Reef Octopus RO-RPS-5000-EXT w/ Bubble Blaster

CR: RM 824 /milwakee PH controller

Tunze TS24 with 7096

Tunze Osmolator

American Pinpoint PH monitor

American Pinpoint ORP Monitor with Resun Ozone

RM sulphur denitrator

RM FR 424

RM FR 624

TLF Phosban Reactor

My old tank thread

469748_10150741487628605_529506809_o_zps36d5c396.jpg

• SRC Member

Actually they take on the colour of the zoas they are feeding on so that they can blend in between the skirt. I'm guessing you'll find the rest of his family in your yellow zoa colony hahaha.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
freshwater dipping only kills the nudists but cant kill their eggs, thats y i choose to quarantine them and give time for the eggs to be born 1st, but also depending on where i get the zoas from, if i get a nudis attack i might even decom, 30 plus rocks of zoas to do dipping and eggs hunting is no joke

Tell me about it... I did that many times already. Back breaking... :pinch:

• SRC Member
Actually they take on the colour of the zoas they are feeding on so that they can blend in between the skirt. I'm guessing you'll find the rest of his family in your yellow zoa colony hahaha.

No kidding! I find the least nudis on my yellow zoas, surprisingly...

• SRC Member
  • Moderators

yup.. yellow wrasse is the one to go.. I had tried many other wrasses like 6 lines, etc..

Only yellow wrasse works best.. Remember to get the very young ones coz they are the "workers".

All the best. :)

Side track.... you into Thai music?

Tom

• SRC Member
yup.. yellow wrasse is the one to go.. I had tried many other wrasses like 6 lines, etc..

Only yellow wrasse works best.. Remember to get the very young ones coz they are the "workers".

All the best. :)

Side track.... you into Thai music?

Haha... nope. Why did you ask?

• SRC Member
just a quick question, FW or fresh water == freshly mixed salt water that of same or close to the tank water chemistry?

or di water?

FW = Tap water ( direct from tap).

That's what I use for dipping. Actually I dont dip but will soak in it for 5-10mins and will regularly shake the colony to shake off the pests..

For me, a yellow wrasse did the job (:

and I do agree on FW dip and for myself, I will put on my led headlamp and inspect any egg/nudi that is still possibly spared from the dip. They are easy to spot with a white led lamp so yeah, after that remove them and put them back into your tank. SO far SO good (:

Forgot to add, on top of my freshwater, I add 10 drops of Lugols from Julian Sprung Con.Iodine Solution to roughly 500ml of freshwater. After that everything's SOP. After a while, you should be able to find dead nudis floating on your water surface (: Anyway, Ah Beng has some stock of green wrasses. Heard that they are like yellow wrasses, work well against nudis. SPS-keepers should be quite familiar with them as they battle nudis on their precious montis. Nonetheless, I'll give you a heads up if I spot any yellow wrasses in Ah Beng. They go at rather cheap prices (:

Cheers and may you be able to savour the final victory (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Hi bro peacemaker,

Just my personal suggestion:

If your is a nano tank, then its better to remove all the rocks and live stocks in the tank and use a brush to clean all surface of rock and live stock(zoa) b4 placing them back to the tank again. Changing water may not be necessary at this point of time as this will only further stress your live stock and the biological system after the above procedure is performed.

Hope this help....:-)

• SRC Member
Hi bro peacemaker,

Just my personal suggestion:

If your is a nano tank, then its better to remove all the rocks and live stocks in the tank and use a brush to clean all surface of rock and live stock(zoa) b4 placing them back to the tank again. Changing water may not be necessary at this point of time as this will only further stress your live stock and the biological system after the above procedure is performed.

Hope this help....:-)

That's interesting... but when you talk about cleaning, what type of water would you recommend? I've used distilled water with Lugol's solution and Salifert Flatworm Exit mix to perform my dips, but never with a brush. I only use a paint brush to clear algae.

Hai, i might have another solution for u. But very busy right now, cannot talk. Will pm u my HP no later tonight so can talk more clear and faster too. Haha

Nudi mostly only come out at night to attack the zoas, so yellow wrasse insteed only hunt day time and night zzzzz...zzz. But still better have one then nothing.

lol. peacemaker, must share share the method after u succeeded in removing the nudi...... all the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler