How to lower NO3?

• SRC Member

Hi,

Beside water change is there anyway to lower NO3. Currently 1 1/2 week into cycling and my NO3 is high. Did a 50% water change 2 days ago still high. today i did another 50% change followed by 25% and 25% but reading i am getting from my test kit is still ard 50ppm.

Hi,

Beside water change is there anyway to lower NO3. Currently 1 1/2 week into cycling and my NO3 is high. Did a 50% water change 2 days ago still high. today i did another 50% change followed by 25% and 25% but reading i am getting from my test kit is still ard 50ppm.

Is the Cycling still going on? You are supposed to water when the cycling is over, not during the cycling...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Please read the sections in the forum pertaining to cycling of your tank and understand the nitrogen cycle. It will help you built a good foundation to avoid livestock death and waste of money.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

yup read it. i am guessing it should be. NO2 and amonia reads as 0.

not too sure if i got it right. Amonia will spike den go down and NO2 will spike den go down n NO3 will have some/a lot?

my amonia and NO2 reads as 0 when i did my test today.

yup read it. i am guessing it should be. NO2 and amonia reads as 0.

not too sure if i got it right. Amonia will spike den go down and NO2 will spike den go down n NO3 will have some/a lot?

my amonia and NO2 reads as 0 when i did my test today.

Once you have experience the increase and decrease in Ammonia and Nitrite and both of them are at 0 and high Nitrate that means you have gone through the cycling process and do the large water change...

Member of:

ok yup both at 0 and did the change today.

but the nitrate is still at 50ppm down from 100ppm is it ok? i changed 50% followed by 25% den 25% to get it down to 50ppm

50ppm is still quite high... Do another 50% water change next week... No fishes inside right?

Member of:

Just to confirm that the tank is running fine, dun add the fishes yet.. And moniter the parameter for a week first...If nothing goes wrong, you can proceed to add the fish... what you have now?

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

Just to confirm that the tank is running fine, dun add the fishes yet.. And moniter the parameter for a week first...If nothing goes wrong, you can proceed to add the fish... what you have now?

One your ammonia and nitrite levels reach 0 your nitrates should read anywhere from 20-80 ppm. Most likely it will be around 80 ppm.

So you have a reading of Ammonia – 0, Nitrite – 0, Nitrate – 80.

Nitrates should ideally be around 20 ppm for a healthy fish.

So you will need to do a heafty water change to remove the excess nitrates. For a reading of 40 ppm, do a 50% water change and for anything higher, do a 80% water change.

AH SIANG KISS MY ARSE

• SRC Member

If u do plan to change large ammount, its more advisable to do it periodically over days instead of once especially with lifestocks. Like wha terryz said, wait for it to be stable. Spikes may occur if tank isnt cycled proper.:) All the best!:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

My concern is the constant large amount water change will reduce the tank capacity to cope with ammonia and nitrite when you add livestock although the amount of bacteria in the new salt mix is quite high but as the time goes by the amount of bacteria decreases... So it is better to observe for a week and go slow with the stocking...

Member of:

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a quicker/easier way besides water change? Like those nitrate removal pellets from Tetra. They are supposed to be spread out and buried under the gravel.

you can tried out products like AZN03 , 2TL NPX or the REDSEA N:PX which helps to remove N03 and P04.

For a long term solution to control N03 , you could use Bio pallet ,or set up a refugium with chaeto for nutrient export with Deep sand Bed.

I'm afraid I don't know what bio pallets mean. Could you give me an example or point me a link to get more info on that? Refugium is out of the question as my space is rather limited.

BTW where can I get those products you mentioned AZN03 , 2TL NPX or the REDSEA N:PX?

Tips and resources on maintaining a thriving marine reef aquarium.

I'm afraid I don't know what bio pallets mean. Could you give me an example or point me a link to get more info on that? Refugium is out of the question as my space is rather limited.

BTW where can I get those products you mentioned AZN03 , 2TL NPX or the REDSEA N:PX?

You can check out one of our sponsor Madpetz which carry some of those products which i mention above. They are located in Sing ming and their website is http://www.madpetz.com.sg/