cupramine experience

• SRC Member

Just wish to share what i went through during cupramine in display tank with liverocks :)

things happen during my treatment

1) Alot of die off inverts (snails,bristleworms,crabs,tube worms)

2) Fishes lose appetite some even stop feeding

3) Fishes get freak out easy even with their own shadow

4) Even after dosing the right level of cupramine ich will takes about 3 to 5 days to disappear

5) I was required to dose 5 times the actual amount need for cupramine (it was due to the liverock absorbing cupramine)

6) You will need ammonia alert(seachem) to look out for ammonia as normal testkit are affected by cupramine

7) Cupramine is a stressful process for the fishes hence I did alot of water change during the treatment to try to keep the water pristine(this help my achillies tang to feed)

credits goes to

digiman

bigbird

orsony

• SRC Member

For the benefit of newbies who happens to stumble on this thread for Ich-relief information:

Copper treatment is said to be very effective for treatment of Ich. (AKA White spots)

It is NOT a reef-friendly option. It is recommended only for Fish-only tanks.

This treatment is not safe for invertibrates.

Once a tank is treated with copper, it may not be possible to switch to reef setup as the copper is absorb by things inside the tank.

Consider the above points before jumping into this treatment.

Thanks to LCF425 for the experience sharing.

Cheers and happy reefing.

My personal experience is that I can neither confirm nor dispute it's efficacy. I've only used it once in a quarantine tank on a copperband butterfly which died during treatment. The demise is most probably due to too much stress to the fish which was already in very poor health. Since that episode, my preference have always been to buy only healthy fish that has higher chance of survival and pig it out so that it can fight off the parasites naturally.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

For the benefit of newbies who happens to stumble on this thread for Ich-relief information:

Copper treatment is said to be very effective for treatment of Ich. (AKA White spots)

Once a tank is treated with copper, it may not be possible to switch to reef setup as the copper is absorb by things inside the tank.

My personal experience is that I can neither confirm nor dispute it's efficacy. I've only used it once in a quarantine tank on a copperband butterfly which died during treatment. The demise is most probably due to too much stress to the fish which was already in very poor health. Since that episode, my preference have always been to buy only healthy fish that has higher chance of survival and pig it out so that it can fight off the parasites naturally.

Yes i have to admit that cupramine is a very stressful process for the fishes :( however its very useful against ich through i have not tried hypo but i am very pleased with cupramine for a first try :)

my personal experience said copper tank can still keep corals. Maybe not all cos i only tried on true octo, hammer and elegant. I had to removed them after more than a month cos ich returned.

my personal experience said copper tank can still keep corals. Maybe not all cos i only tried on true octo, hammer and elegant. I had to removed them after more than a month cos ich returned.

After adding carbon and a long time for copper effect to wear off, actually certain hardy corals (most softies and LPS) can be kept.

My old 5ft tank which i coppered also housed many softies after many months of carbon removal.

But i experienced the same problem too, ich found its way back.

So LCF dun think ich is gone just because u dose copper. They can and will always find their way back somehow when u stop dosing copper.

I have try cupramine on display tank after a electricity trip that caused a major outbreak of ich. Many fishes died during the electrical trip and the outbreak, i had no choice to use copper treatment after trying many different methods and medicines that are reef-safe. All the coral will die eventually during the various methods and medicines. Cupramine is the best medicine I found.

Slowly increase the Copper level. Due to the rock absorbing the copper, it will take more doses. If the tank volume is 40l, dose 1ml of cupramine per day, continue to dose everyday until copper level reach about 0.25 to 0.5 ppm. You need to continue test the copper level everyday.

For my tank , it takes 7 days to reach the recommended level, reminder increase slowly to prevent stress.

When you change water, you need to add the amount that coresponding to the volume of top up. Maintain the level for 3 weeks after the recommended level have reached.

My hermit crabs survive the treatment, not other inverts. Some fished already in very bad health will eventually died.

Use saltmix during the treatment as nsw may contain ich. I drops the sg to 1.17 to 1.2 to reduce stress on the fishes.

It is also the best time to add new fishes during the treatment because It becomes qt. I added quite a number of fishes during the treatment.

After 3 weeks, do water change without add any cupramine. The copper level will slowly decrease so it will prevent sudden change.

This is my experience.

Ich will only only come back if there is new sources such as from the Nsw and new fishes and corals added to the tank, so you need qt the fishes or coral for 3 weeks before added to the tanks.

I use fresh water to drip the red aglae ( food for the tangs) over night to kill the ich before putting in to the tank. Not sure freshwater will kill the ich, until now it seems to work.

Ich will only only come back if there is new sources such as from the Nsw and new fishes and corals added to the tank, so you need qt the fishes or coral for 3 weeks before added to the tanks.

I use fresh water to drip the red aglae ( food for the tangs) over night to kill the ich before putting in to the tank. Not sure freshwater will kill the ich, until now it seems to w

+1

well said, as long as new stocks are added ich might come. dun always point the fingers at fishes. Red bamboo is not spare too. i soaked in fresh water too.just to be on the safe side.

After adding carbon and a long time for copper effect to wear off, actually certain hardy corals (most softies and LPS) can be kept.

My old 5ft tank which i coppered also housed many softies after many months of carbon removal.

But i experienced the same problem too, ich found its way back

So LCF dun think ich is gone just because u dose copper. They can and will always find their way back somehow when u stop dosing copper.

I am very sure it will find it way back cos his list still have not end. Anyway, he is experience to handle copper now.hehehe....

Just wish to share what i went through during cupramine in display tank with liverocks :)

things happen during my treatment

1) Alot of die off inverts (snails,bristleworms,crabs,tube worms)

2) Fishes lose appetite some even stop feeding

3) Fishes get freak out easy even with their own shadow

4) Even after dosing the right level of cupramine ich will takes about 3 to 5 days to disappear

5) I was required to dose 5 times the actual amount need for cupramine (it was due to the liverock absorbing cupramine)

6) You will need ammonia alert(seachem) to look out for ammonia as normal testkit are affected by cupramine

7) Cupramine is a stressful process for the fishes hence I did alot of water change during the treatment to try to keep the water pristine(this help my achillies tang to feed)

credits goes to

digiman

bigbird

orsony

Good info!. BTW what is the recommended brand of Copper Test Kit to go with Seachem Cupramine?

api is unable to test cupramine accurately i email seachem to ask before

Seachem will be bias against other brand's product (they also produce their own copper test kit) so it will not be fair to ask for their opinion.

Personally tried API copper test kit, v inaccurate. So dun recommend.

I have not use Or heard before but I do feel it's a myth

Is not pure copper, pure copper is too soft.. Normally consist of Nickel, Zinc etc... All this r not encourage.. Just my tot.. Cheers

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

the old 1 cent coin is actually Copper-clad steel

Bro, The Steel (S) in CCS is refering to Bimetal or alloys, normally mixture of copper, zinc or nickel is commonly used in this kind of plating process.. Just share my tot...

Don't mislead by the high corrosion resistance,they are referring to ambient condition...

I think you get info from this link?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_dollar

Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore