corn stick LR

osmosis

• SRC Member

Once in the water and properly cured, it won't smell any different from the average reef tank.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Wounded? What exactly is corn stick LR to you? :blink:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

What in the world is a corn stick?? :huh:

I thought for a moment you're at a Pasar Malam and bought some steamed corn in a cob to eat! And you bleeding from a wound coz by it?

Who taught you this phrase "corn stick" LR?

• SRC Member
corn stick is th LR wif the tree-branches structure, but i found out that the smell is actually come form the 'injured' part of the LR... get wad i mean?

Don't really quite get the injured bit because they are just rocks and you technically cannot injure something that is not alive. Live rocks are called 'live' because of the bacteria and other stuff growing on it and they can easily repopulate a 'dead' part of any rock.

Like I said before, if you are cycling your tank now with these rocks, don't worry about the smell. Once decompostion is complete the smell should go away. In fact, once in the water, you won't smell the rocks anymore.

Also, it's not common to call those rocks you have 'corn stick'. It's much more commonly called Tonga branch in the industry.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

oh... is it? i am working in a marine shop so u guys think am i going to be wrong? may be there are few names for the LR i have mention, and may be u dunno that it is quite serious when the wounded part start to spread the bacteria. nvm, thanx u anyway.

and AT, the fellow who tell me the name are the suppliers, from marine palace, coralfarm. so is not from the pasar malam...... it is quite a cold joke from u. thanx.

• SRC Member

Maybe a picture of the affected part of the LR will help because I genuinely do not understand the part regarding the LR rotting.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

oh... is it? i am working in a marine shop so u guys think am i going to be wrong? may be there are few names for the LR i have mention, and may be u dunno that it is quite serious when the wounded part start to spread the bacteria. nvm, thanx u anyway.

and AT, the fellow who tell me the name are the suppliers, from marine palace, coralfarm. so is not from the pasar malam...... it is quite a cold joke from u. thanx.

Well, I'm sorry that you can't take light humour. :rolleyes:

Since you want to be serious, well... here goes.

You're absolutely WRONG. There is no live rock around the world marketed as CORN STICKS.

I have even verified with Coral Farm and they only sell Tonga Branches and Figi branch liverocks and have never used any other names to describe them.

So it seems that this CORN STICK LIVE ROCK does not exist unless it was coined up by someone with a creative mind or who was quite hungry at that point of time. An apple by any name is still an apple.

And FYI, LR is not 'alive' and they certainly DO NOT BLEED or get wounded. It is the living organisms on them that give them their name. So unless you can learn to describe accurately the exact condition of the LR, the term WOUNDED or BLEEDING does not apply to any form of LR.

If you have mistaken the blood red patches on the LR as wounds, they are not... they are probably coralline algae.

BTW & FYI, NO ONE will side me if I am talking nonsense, admin or not.

If working in a LFS means you are always right and hobbyists cannot be right or know much lesser that LFS about the hobby... then you win already loh. :heh:

• SRC Member

Now i know why he not expecting anybody to help him. with this attitude he must be used to not having anybody help him. U work in an LFS and u dont know this common sense.. that LR with more rubbish on it is going to smell worse than LR with less rubbish on it during curing. By wounded Do u mean uncured. The word is uncured in case you are wondering . how to get rid of odour? Scrub off everything . Bake the rock in the sun for a few hours. wash it with detergent . rinse. and put in your tank. spray some perfume if u want. i recommend Natural Ocean By Body Shop. or . u can just wait for it to cure/tank cycle completely like everyone else does. If you want help, then post with the intention of getting help. dont post and assume no one is going to help u . look at how many peoples time u wasted.

Osmosis,

I did a search on all the posts you have made and its quite clear to me that you are rather new to the hobby.

Working for a LFS doesn't mean anything... in fact, there are quite a few lau chiao LFS people who still don't have a clue about how the nitrogen cycle works despite being in the business for more than a decade.

Perhaps if you try to be a little more humble and open to learning.... we'll be more than happy to guide you along. You don't have to be so proud, you know.

I'm still learning myself. ;)

• SRC Member

if he's working in an IT firm, he'll think he's Bill Gates..haha :lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

how can i do it?

most of the ppl say that corn stick LR usually come wif a big odour and lager amt of bacteria, so is there ways to remove the odour and bacteria without harming the LR itself?

I'm actually quite curious who are the people who tell you these things? I know almost everyone in this industry... and perhaps they can verify this information as true or false.

Jon from Coral Farm was quite surprised about Corn Sticks LR being sold from Coral Farm.... :erm:

If you care to listen to my opinion... branch LR is more for decorative & rockscaping purposes rather than serving as a good biological filter as compared to bigger, rounder, heavier and dense liverock.

That person(s) who told you that probably was selling you uncured LR.

• SRC Member

AT, osmosis probably another one of your nemesis...

Hey, that rhymes...

If you have mistaken the blood red patches on the LR as wounds, they are not... they are probably coralline algae.

coralline algae = LR bleeding... now that's really funny... :lol:

• SRC Member

One thing I learnt...

People working in LFS usually dun like to be challenged on their knowledge... once I told an LFS uncle nicely not to put his single 2" small blue tang together with a group of blue devil damsels... He ask me to shut up and that he know fishes more than I know my ABC... apparently, this idiotic LFS uncle group his fishes together by colour... duh... :blink:

Another one of those freshwater convert to marine shop.... I won't be surprised if osmosis is one of those working for these shops...

• SRC Member

Maybe, just maybe, we are confusing corals with live rocks. I am seeing a lot of new hobbyist confusing live rocks with hard corals. They must have picked up their "knowledge" from someone.

We wouldn't be too surprised though if names got more creative around corals will we?

It is seldom seen that I agree with AT (LOL), but LFS very big meh?