rimless 4ft possible?

Hi Folks,

I am planning to upgrade from 2ft to 4ft tank. I saw this rimless 4ft x 1.8 ft x 1.8 ft with roughly 10 mm glass at one of the LFS. It looks exactly the same as my rimless 2 ft so it really caught my eye. Anyone of you have any experience using this type of tank? I heard from a colleague who is into Arowana that 4 ft tank and above must have the braces to make it stable. And I saw this tank at an LFS selling fresh water fish so I am even more concerned if this is feasible in salt water? I read somewhere that salt water density is higher so the force to the glass is stronger??

Thanks in advance for the inputs. :ThanxSmiley:

Hi Folks,

I am planning to upgrade from 2ft to 4ft tank. I saw this rimless 4ft x 1.8 ft x 1.8 ft with roughly 10 mm glass at one of the LFS. It looks exactly the same as my rimless 2 ft so it really caught my eye. Anyone of you have any experience using this type of tank? I heard from a colleague who is into Arowana that 4 ft tank and above must have the braces to make it stable. And I saw this tank at an LFS selling fresh water fish so I am even more concerned if this is feasible in salt water? I read somewhere that salt water density is higher so the force to the glass is stronger??

Thanks in advance for the inputs. :ThanxSmiley:

Try this... try SF above 4...

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

certainly possible. Just make sure glass thickness is thick enough. I have seen tanks that are a little warped because its not thick enough and has no top/bottom bracing.

What I suggest is go for the recommended thickness and consider doing bottom bracing to reinforce. Also, lower height will help as well.

• Moderators

confidence in equipmet and tank are importance, no point

after set up everything and worry the tank might fail.

having confidence and being safe is 2 things

Last thing you need to have is a tank cracked on you.

Trust me, i had experienced a cracked tank situation recently and this is no joke doing recovery action.:thumbdown:

Cheers!

Tom

hey guys.. sorry sorry i made a mistake on the dimension, it is actually 4 ft x 1.5 ft (45cm) x 1.5 ft and the tank is the one with no connection in front (i think called 1 piece?). basically it is glued on at the 2 sides behind only.

i plugged in the above numbers to CFOh's recommended site and it says glass thickness should be at 6mm. the one at the shop is around 10mm.

will it hold? thanks again if any experience on this that can be shared. :ThanxSmiley:

• SRC Member

6mm??/ no way ... what safety factor do you put in?

.... you should get minimum 12mm.. and if rimless then at least get bottom bracing on all 4 sides.

like what ketchup says.. we have seen tanks warp even with 12mm glass because there was NO bottom bracing so for safety and peace of mind, it's far better to pay a little more and get thicker glass with bottom bracing at the very least.

please remember that salt water is far more denser than freshwater.. and once you add in the sand, rocks, live stock, wavemakers etc.. all these are added pressure to the glass.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

having confidence and being safe is 2 things

Last thing you need to have is a tank cracked on you.

Trust me, i had experienced a cracked tank situation recently and this is no joke doing recovery action.:thumbdown:

Cheers!

I might phase it wrongly, what I meant if you dont have confidence in an item, in this case the tank thickness or 4ft rimless, maybe do a top and bottom brace rather to worry the tank might fail, maybe that just my thinking. cheers

• Moderators

I might phase it wrongly, what I meant if you dont have confidence in an item, in this case the tank thickness or 4ft rimless, maybe do a top and bottom brace rather to worry the tank might fail, maybe that just my thinking. cheers

No worries. We are just sharing our thoughts and ideas. Cheers!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sponsor

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Can someone recommend a tank maker that can do this rimless 4ft for me? i emailed vincent but no reply. probably he finds it as too small business since i only want the plain vanilla tank + stand/cabinet.

Hi bro,

I have a 48x24x23" bracless tank 15mm, all side sapphire glass. If you are keen i can offer a good pricing.

Only need to do the over flow box n piping and its good to go.

Let me know if you are keen. Tank is brand new!

Cheers