Crystal glass vs starphire glass

mengyang_neo

Any bro out there know what is the different between Crystal glass and starphire glass? And is there such a thing as china made crystal glass? If so is there a different between them and maybe crystal glass from other country? Cause from my understanding, there is quite a big different in price between china made Crystal glass and high grade starphire glass. Is there china made starphire glass also? Sorry for a lot of question, kind of confuse here. :blink:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

signing up too...

wanna know the diff also..

mabb going for a new tank..

My 3ft tank

Dimension --> 3ftx1.5ftx2ft

Ehiem 1262 return

Ehiem 1260

Artica 1/5hp Chiller

Tunze 6055 + 7091 single controller

EcoTech Marine Vortech MP40W

Royal Exclusive Mini BubbleKing 160

Lumenarc 250watt 10K BLV

02x Giesemann T5 39watt (blue + Actinic)

Deltec 501 CR

• SRC Supporter

Starphire glass is a brand of lead free and low iron contain glass . When you see across the edge of the glass it has a blue tint similar to crystal glass but the clarity is much better than the normal crystal glass. But it is also one of the more expensive glass in the market. Some said that it bring out the full natural colors of corals especially clams,,,

Another option is to go for acrylic but it need to be taken care of carefully since it tend to get sketches more easily than regular glass.

Starphire glass is a brand of lead free and low iron contain glass . When you see across the edge of the glass it has a blue tint similar to crystal glass but the clarity is much better than the normal crystal glass. But it is also one of the more expensive glass in the market. Some said that it bring out the full natural colors of corals especially clams,,,

Another option is to go for acrylic but it need to be taken care of carefully since it tend to get sketches more easily than regular glass.

I see, and is it true that china made crystal glass is cheaper? Or china made one is crystal glass and other country made one is starphire glass so the price difference?

Yup acrylic is another option but for big tank like 5ft, I think the cost of making one is far more ex then tank with full starphire glass. I never check out the price but this is what I thought. =p

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

• SRC Supporter

China make crystal glass is definitely much much more cheaper elsewhere. But some said that there is a different in the clarity due to the content in the glass if you make a comparasison on the glass between a china made crystal and other but again it is very hard to tell with our naked eye unless we do a lab testing..

• SRC Member

I have seen both grades before. As Larry has pointed out, not discernible with the naked eye at thinner glass unless you are building a big tank using like 3/4" thick glass and above. There is a slight yellowish cast in the Chinese crystal glass in this case.

• SRC Member

China make crystal glass is definitely much much more cheaper elsewhere. But some said that there is a different in the clarity due to the content in the glass if you make a comparasison on the glass between a china made crystal and other but again it is very hard to tell with our naked eye unless we do a lab testing..

I think it depends on the vendor whether honest to tell customers if using china made or others.

So long the vendor don't pass off china crystal glass as "ang mo" crystal glass, I'm ok with them telling the truth, just dun smoke. If I find out later..... I'll provide free ads for the company.

Lots of stuff now cheena made. So sometimes very very difficult to scrutinize them. My opinion is so long it is gd quality, country of origin is not an issue.

So far I've searched & found that asahi is 2nd rated glass as compared to low iron glass. I know starphire glass is a brand name for low iron from the web....

So visually, can one differentiate asahi glass & low iron glass, maybe from the sides, low iron looks clearer?

Thanks!

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Based on what I know, asahi glass, Japanese grade 1 glass, float glass all refer to the normal glass we see, slight greenish cast. Maybe different brands from different manufacturers so all have different names. To me, they are all the same.

Crystal glass, starphire glass, low iron glass refers to optically superior glass. Again may have slight differences between them, but to me they are pretty similar.

I may be wrong, so if there are glass experts out there, can point out the finer differences to what I have broadly classified as 2 categories.

• Like 1

Hi guy thanks for the reply, now got a better understanding of the difference between the glass. :ThanxSmiley:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

Hi guy thanks for the reply, now got a better understanding of the difference between the glass. :ThanxSmiley:

when changing new tank ...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

Soon. :cheers:

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

Thks to yr thread & bros who chip in their knowledge. I know what to look out for and paying the "reasonable" price for it.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

Yes u can make only the front crysttal glass.

For my 4x1.5ft , its 60$ add on for cystal

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Absolutely worth doing especially for front view. The colours of corals will appear differently under normal glass

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

+1. Worth it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

Ok....I think this is much misunderstanding.

Starphire glass

- low iron glass. cost ard 10% to 15% more than normal glass (in large qty esp for buildings or skyscrapers).

- preferred as let in more light (up to 30% for ultra clear) therefore works well with UV solar applied (not so dark)

- no crystal rocks involved

- edge is clear (glass is slightly green, sapphire is blue)

Crystal Glass

- alternative to crystals (used in making table ware or cosmetics containers)

- barium oxide, zinc oxide, or potassium oxide are employed instead of lead oxide.

- Lead-free crystal has a similar refractive index to lead crystal, but it is lighter and it has less dispersive power

- cost compared to glass is more than 35%

- safety issues raised with long-term use (for food and drinks)

Sapphire

- very costly

- used in making watch faces