hitchhiker fish in SPS colony

• SRC Member

hi all experts, need help in ID-ing these two fish that hitchhiked in a wild SPS colony that my dad bought recently.. some sort of hawkfish? very bad at fish IDs.. friend or foe?

thanks in advance! :thanks:

post-9599-0-19464300-1322453124_thumb.jp

post-9599-0-45046400-1322453129_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

http://www.liveaquar...425&pcatid=1425

apparantly no good for SPS... :P Fiend....not friend..

ahh.. icic.. somewhat only bad for sps if they lay eggs there.. hmm interesting fellow.. maybe keep in sump.. thanks Desi! :ThanxSmiley:

There is only 1 species of brown Coral croucher, which is Caracanthus unipinna aka Pygmy coral croucher... Not normally collected and it is found widespread in indo pacific.. If you wan to get rid of it, I dun mind adopting it.. It doesnt harm the sps other than irritating it while perching in them and laying of eggs.. TAKE NOTE, the dorsal fin is venomous...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

ahh.. icic.. somewhat only bad for sps if they lay eggs there.. hmm interesting fellow.. maybe keep in sump.. thanks Desi! :ThanxSmiley:

Get a cheap or brown sps for them or maybe a skeleton might help becos it doesnt really need live sps I guess...

Member of:

• SRC Member

There is only 1 species of brown Coral croucher, which is Caracanthus unipinna aka Pygmy coral croucher... Not normally collected and it is found widespread in indo pacific.. If you wan to get rid of it, I dun mind adopting it.. It doesnt harm the sps other than irritating it while perching in them and laying of eggs.. TAKE NOTE, the dorsal fin is venomous...

ah icic.. thanks Terry! shall check with my dad whether he wants to keep it.. cute fellow, but if he doesnt appreciate it, u can have it.. very cryptic fellow, even if give him a brown sps to stay in, probably wun see him at all, even during feeding time.. very shy so far..

ah icic.. thanks Terry! shall check with my dad whether he wants to keep it.. cute fellow, but if he doesnt appreciate it, u can have it.. very cryptic fellow, even if give him a brown sps to stay in, probably wun see him at all, even during feeding time.. very shy so far..

They are timid fishes and feeds on small reef dwelling crustacean...

Member of:

Actually they are pretty common especially from Bali wild SPS shipment, they may come alone in a colony or a pair as in Bro Vincent's case. In captivity, however, it may not be desirable to have them as they dart in and out of SPS causing quite a nuisance to the hosting SPS. In the case of Millepora, you might not be able to see any polyp extension as a result of their behavior.

Yes they look cute, but if possible, get rid of it or you will have a hard time removing it in the future when you sps encrust onto your main rock.

Hope this helps :friends:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

If they were pink, not brown, they can sell for quite a good price!

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)