Urgent need for advice! :)

Hi bros,

My tank is arriving tomorrow. I've did some reading from the forum and is seeking your advice(s);

1) Liverocks are NOT suppose to be placed into freshly prepared saltmix. If that's correct, may I know the righ timing to place them in?

2) During initial days of cyclng (with liverocks), when is the most appropriate timing to turn on protein skimmer?

• Like 1

What Matters Is Not By Comparing Ourselves With Others

What We Can Do For Others Matters Most

1) You can put LR into your tank straight away as long as the salt is mix properly. I would recommend mixing the salt ~24hours before using it.

2) Immediately after you put in saltwater. Skimmer will take awhile to break-in.

• SRC Member

Skimmer can be used during cycling, no issue at all

Except for lights, wud recommend switching on skimmer &FR with phosphate removal material ( eg rowaphos )

I even on my biopellet reactor n calcium reactor as these take some time b4 they become operational

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Supporter

Except for lights, wud recommend switching on skimmer &FR with phosphate removal material ( eg rowaphos )

I even on my biopellet reactor n calcium reactor as these take some time b4 they become operational

Oh yea, it is advisable to start running your P04 remover media in a FR during the cycling period as well since you never know your live rock might be leeching..

• SRC Member

Hi bros,

My tank is arriving tomorrow. I've did some reading from the forum and is seeking your advice(s);

1) Liverocks are NOT suppose to be placed into freshly prepared saltmix. If that's correct, may I know the righ timing to place them in?

2) During initial days of cyclng (with liverocks), when is the most appropriate timing to turn on protein skimmer?

if u are cycling using prepared saltmix, try not to add the liverocks first...because the saltmix water is too sterile...it will harm the beneficial bacteria in the liverocks.

i would recommend using NSW (natural salt water) for cycling.

After cycling, you may use prepared saltmix water for water change and for subsequent water changes.

You may turn on the skimmer during cycling....depending on which school of thought. Some reefers prefer the skimmer to be off to allow bacteria to propagate. No hard and fuss rules.

l7304smr.jpg

1) You can put LR into your tank straight away as long as the salt is mix properly. I would recommend mixing the salt ~24hours before using it.

2) Immediately after you put in saltwater. Skimmer will take awhile to break-in.

Thank you for the advice bro :)

Oh yea, it is advisable to start running your P04 remover media in a FR during the cycling period as well since you never know your live rock might be leeching..

Once again, Thank you for the advice bro :)

if u are cycling using prepared saltmix, try not to add the liverocks first...because the saltmix water is too sterile...it will harm the beneficial bacteria in the liverocks.

i would recommend using NSW (natural salt water) for cycling.

After cycling, you may use prepared saltmix water for water change and for subsequent water changes.

You may turn on the skimmer during cycling....depending on which school of thought. Some reefers prefer the skimmer to be off to allow bacteria to propagate. No hard and fuss rules.

I was thinking of dosing commercial bacteria. Doing it would help replenish loss of beneficial bacteria since newly prepared saltmix is too steril....

This is the most valuable piece of advice for new reefer with sand and rock scape. If you dont do it, it will continuously haunt you with PO4 problem, even after years.

If you dont do it right from the start, the PO4 amount is probably 2 to 4 X that of in the water. So if your water reading of PO4 is 0.04ppm, it is probably ( 0.04 X 4 ) 0.16ppm.

From my experience.

rgds,

mike

• SRC Member

sorry to hijack the thread but I do have a question in mind, when new tank arrive, does you guy soak the tank with tap water for 1 day due to the new silicon? Thanks..

yes i do. it also test to see if it leaks! i did it in the toilet(unless ur new tank is big). so... if it leaks or comes apart.. i'm spared from flooding my living room.

Been cycling my tank for about 10 days.. Added market prawn and left them rot till super unbearable stench :wacko: In addition, I've been dosing Brightwell Bacter-(acciording to bottle instructions) from the 3rd day since market prawn's addition. Took measurements with Salifert kits and found that NH4 0, NH3 0 and Nitrate 50ppm.. Bought a cleaner shrimp and a pair of australian clowns from Iwarna, place them in the tank and they have been surviving since then (about 3 days already). Does it mean my tank is fully cycled??

Pls enlightened..

Many thanks :)

I share knowledge, interest & passion in reefing.. NOT by showing them off...

• 1 month later...

Been cycling my tank for about 10 days.. Added market prawn and left them rot till super unbearable stench :wacko: In addition, I've been dosing Brightwell Bacter-(acciording to bottle instructions) from the 3rd day since market prawn's addition. Took measurements with Salifert kits and found that NH4 0, NH3 0 and Nitrate 50ppm.. Bought a cleaner shrimp and a pair of australian clowns from Iwarna, place them in the tank and they have been surviving since then (about 3 days already). Does it mean my tank is fully cycled??

Pls enlightened..

Cycling takes more than 10days bro. Can take weeks, months...just watch your water para's & let everything takes it course...dont worry so much bro =)

Pls enlightened..

Monitor your water parameters with your test kits. If your BBs are already mature & settle, they'll start to do its function. Cheers!