How to catch / trap a hairy crab

• SRC Member

have a hairy crab in my tank for the past 2 weeks and it has grown. what sort of nonsense do they do they are larger :blink: have 2 cleaner shrimps. would they be at harms way?

so, before the crab can create havoc by employing terrorist hit and run tactics, i want to catch it and DESTROY!!!

what are the tricks of this trade?

• SRC Member

Hey !

I post a thread on "Crab Terminator" a couple of days back....one kind soul recommended using "essense of chicken" bottle.

1. Put a small piece of prawn meat inside the bottle.. Do it about 1 hour before you switch off all lights...living hall, dinning or room....NIGHT TIME lah!

2. Tie two rubber bands , looks like cross on the bottle openning...to limit your cleaner shrimps to remove the prawn bait.

3. Put the bottle near where your hairy crab normally hides. But impt to tilt at an angle of about 30deg....with the bottle openning resting on the LR surface.

4. Pray and bingo....you may see that hairy crab inside the bottle the next morning.

The guy who recommended me claimed he caught 22 crabs! As for me, I was successful in my first attempt...I caught two crabs..one it each bottle.

Maybe you can consider this method...nothing to lose.

Golf :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

1. Yes, I caught them overnight.....I am putting one bottle trap again tonite (saw one hiding behind one of the LR).

2. No, it didn't niblle my corals...but on my sea-cuke last week and tube worms...some don't dare to open liao.....

Regards, Golf

• SRC Member

3 days ago found a little cute crabbie staying inside the branch of my cauliflower.normally come out at night, when the light is off. reliese that it ate my cauliflower, so decided to catch it out the next day. place in a container... but find no prawn in my freezer :erm: , so no food for it to eat.. and found that it dies :angel: , when i got back home.

-> take long chopsticks to catch. bear hand oso can :heh: come out late night when the light is off. :upsidedown:

hi there,

is it really dat effective? can anyone else share their experience? if i have 50-70kg of rocks, do i have to place 20-30 bottles during the cycling period? no kidding! I'm planning to start my 3 feet tank soon and would like to eliminate as many crabs as i can!! :)

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

hi there,

is it really dat effective? can anyone else share their experience? if i have 50-70kg of rocks, do i have to place 20-30 bottles during the cycling period? no kidding! I'm planning to start my 3 feet tank soon and would like to eliminate as many crabs as i can!! :)

Vincent Ho

If u are just starting to setup your tank then its easier to remove crabs ...... before putting your liverocks in your main tank remove all unwanted critters from live rocks by dipping in higher salinity SW at specgravity of 1.030 for 1 minutes .. u will find that all critters will evac the rocks and end up at the bottom of pail

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

If u are just starting to setup your tank then its easier to remove crabs ...... before putting your liverocks in your main tank remove all unwanted critters from live rocks by dipping in higher salinity SW at specgravity of 1.030 for 1 minutes .. u will find that all critters will evac the rocks and end up at the bottom of pail

I just thinking.. if its so effective, why would the critters run out in just 1 minute when FW guppies can live in a SW tank for 8-10 hours?

Might be effective for smaller ones I believe.

And worst.. LR will become 'dead' and must cycle again for few weeks..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

ever heard of tyres being dumped into the sea to make artificial reefs? they are rubber too ...

tyres to make artificial reefs? I've only heard of sinking unwanted ships to make artificial reefs.. ;)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

I just thinking.. if its so effective, why would the critters run out in just 1 minute when FW guppies can live in a SW tank for 8-10 hours?

Might be effective for smaller ones I believe.

And worst.. LR will become 'dead' and must cycle again for few weeks..

Y they run out after 1 min i dont know .. but i ve seen and read in this forum and others that this is one of the ways to remove critters from new uncured live rocks .... and it does work ...

and bout the cycling part ... i was saying if u are just starting to setup a new tank then u can try this method coz newly bought liverocks needs to cycle too ...

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

Hey Bros!

1. ;) Rubber band (same as plastic) is toxic if it decompose...say by burning/ heating it above its melting point. By itself, it is generally safe......otherwise, people will not be dumping used tyres to form artificial reef man !

2. Have you also seen those piers...they place rubber as a cushion to reduce impact from docking ships/ vessels ? Some of those rubbers were also in contact with sea-water.... :lol:

3. Anyway, both rubber and plastic (power head, air-tubes, silicone for glass tank) contains chemical resins, adhesion promoters, catalyst and etc.....unless it contained carcinogenic substanace such as Antimony, Brominde, Halide and etc substances..they should be reasonable safe.

Have fun and cheers!

I never bothered with the rubber bands. I just put a big enough piece of prawn so that my blood shrimp will not be able to remove the prawn. they can go in there and feast on the prawn as well if they want.

and with this method, I've caught...9 prawns in under 24hrs. so it works. (=

but make sure you just throw the whole prawn in. don't cut it up if not the bloodshrimp can remove it. and make sure the prawn lies AT THE BOTTOM of the glass bottle. if not the crab will be able to climb out by stretching with all its might. I've seen that happening before. (=

• SRC Member

with the above mentioned tactics with rubber band and all, I JUST CAUGHT THE TERRORIST!!!!!!

now waiting to see if there are anymore of them, maybe sleeper cells eh? hahaha. will remove the bottle tomorrow morning.

lucky using rubber band, golf, my cleaners deperately trying to force their way in. but kanna jam because of their feelers.

heheheh.

Cheers to all