Coralvue MH Bulb

Hon

• SRC Member

Got my bulbs last night. Just installed it 2 hrs ago and fire them up.

I forgot to take a pic of my previous 10kk bulb setup to compare. If I come across it later, will post it.

Below is the pic of my tank with the new 20kk bulb.

Frontal shot:

post-14-1074308740.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Although this bulb is rated 20kk, the light aren't near to the blue of a radium or ushio blue. Its mostly white whith a tint of blue. But as compared to 10kk bulb, its really dim lor ..

I have read somewhere stating that 20kk SE bulb is much more bluer than a 20kk DE bulb. Especially 250watt DE bulb, its always appear more yellow than any other wattage ..

So those bro that is using 20kk SE setup, please post your pic also to compare.

• SRC Member

You can't be sure of bulb colour by looking at pictures on the computer screen. The digital camera's white balance may have made it less blue or that your screen is more yellow.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Visually its slightly more blue as compared to 10kk bulb. But it aren't as blue as what ppl call a 'blue' tank. I like the colour a lot, get a 'cooling' feeling looking at it :P

• SRC Member
Visually its slightly more blue as compared to 10kk bulb. But it aren't as blue as what ppl call a 'blue' tank. I like the colour a lot, get a 'cooling' feeling looking at it :P

Hon, I seriously recommend you getting the CV10K, it looks exactly the same or at least not far off from CV20K and has intensity of 4X more base on Lumens throughput. But I'm surprise that the normal PAR calculatio between CV10K and CV20K is not too far-off. I believe

CV10K is actually a 14K bulb

CV20K is actually a 17K bulb

CV15K is ??????

:P Max

• SRC Member

AT,

Its not unscrew so easy. I have to bring the pendant down, unscrew 4 holding screw, slide out the cover glass and the pull the bulb out from the socket, which is 50-50 chances might crack it ... I'm too lazy for that..h.a.ha.h.a.

Max,

Maybe its a good test to prove whether high par value is really need to maintain acro or just more blue light will be enough :P

• SRC Member
AT,

Its not unscrew so easy. I have to bring the pendant down, unscrew 4 holding screw, slide out the cover glass and the pull the bulb out from the socket, which is 50-50 chances might crack it ... I'm too lazy for that..h.a.ha.h.a.

Max,

Maybe its a good test to prove whether high par value is really need to maintain acro or just more blue light will be enough :P

My PH controller tells everything, How & why?

Lesson -1 when using AB13K & Ushio 10K, with constant tank parameters, my highest PH register after end of 10 hrs MH lighing cycle is PH 8.41

When I swap to Coralvue, the highest PH is 8.25 - less amount of photosynthesis taken place, definietly much less growth, coloration of Acros- we will have to wait and see............

The PH is a good indicator of the amount of photosynthesis taken place. This raw data still new, but will have to wait for a week or so to see if the PH increase after my corals get use to the new lighting.

So Hon, how's your IKS register for PH since the swap?

:)

Max

• SRC Member

Maxima,

I do notice a decrease in pH reading after photo period. Used to register 8.46 but now its only showing 8.38 I do notice my Acropora Cerealis is losing a bit of its purple so are the rest of the purple tip sps. I got a patch of yellow polyp that won't open under my AB and BLV, which I deem the light is too strong for them as I place it high up in the tank, but after using coralvue, they happily opening up, might be due to the lower light intensity.

Will monitor longer, letting the acro get used to the new lighting first. If things dun work out, will switch back to my old bulb soon.

• SRC Member

I have finally decided to do a colour comparison after much probing my lazy bones to move. The setup now is CV 20kk on left and middle while the AB 10kk on the right. Hope you can see the difference in the pic.

Obviously the light output from AB 10kk is much intense and yellowish, sort of glaring to the eyes as compared to CV 20kk.

post-14-1075111828.jpg

If its already brown.... why don't you leave it for a month and see if it colours back up again?

Sometimes SPS need more time to adapt to a new change in lighting.

• SRC Member
I think I going to change back to my AB/BLV bulb this weekend. My purple acro has turn brown now :(

Hon, go take a look at your clams mantle, especially after the change of bulbs. if there's an overly extension of mantle even after a week.....this a sign of too low PAR.

My CV10K is burning to a whitish blue now, compare to bluish white during the first 1 week. While give it another week and see.

Max

• SRC Member

Bad news. Finally replace the remaining 2 CV bulbs back to my old AB/BLV 10kk setup. Have discover more STN or tissue die off on the underside of my acropora conlonies. The purple coloration of all the acro have adopt a pinkish shade after 2 weeks of use. :(

Anyone like to take over my 2 weeks old bulb? ..kee..kee.. :rolleyes: