Urgent Help!!

Ernie

I suppose I was quite lucky my cycling went through smoothly, though our of sheer stupidity and enhusiasm I threw in 2 full sized prawns in both my 3 ft main tank and 3 ft sump :P:P

I'm not sure but think oxygenation of my water plays a role in prevention of the bacteria going anaerobic. My overflow chamber allows water to fall a good 12' before it goes to the sump and water agitation over a reasonable surface area provides another means of gaseous exchange.

Thererfore good aeration should also plays an important part in the nitrogen cycle, and prevent, to a certain extent, your bacteria from going anaerobic.

Anybody care to comment?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I suppose in the initial stages of cycling the oxygen consumption is very high since the bacteria re actively growing and dividing to fill up the empty space. As long as there is reasonable flow, I don't think it will turn anaerobic.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Day 11

Dear all,

1) water has become crystal clear

2) Foaming is now minimal

3) No more smell

4) Slimy layer on LR has diappeared, but white residue now remains

5) Tested for ammonia, down from purple to green

Questions: Can i remove my LR to give them some scrubbing? THey look kinda of dirty

: I should start testing on nitrite rite?

Concern : It seems a little bit fast, tot it's about 3weeks fastest

• SRC Member

Hi ernie!! :D

Good to know your tank's on the mend again..felt so happy for you that I just had to say hi.. :P

How come you din wash your rock first? I bought my first 2kg last night..need to buy more, but wanted to scrub it properly first. On the other hand, had a sleepless night fearing that pple will buy finish the LR.. :unsure:

• SRC Member

hi ernie,

what do you mean by the LR being dirty? White stuff? I had white stuff growing on it for my 2nd tank last year, but swept them all off by directing 3 powerful powerheads over them. You might want to try this if you are as lazy as me. :evil:

Good to know that it's going right again, keep us posted!

Regards,

Hong Yee