Anyone keep Bubble Tip Anemone for more than a year?

ntwdavid

• SRC Member

Anemone needs good lights. Occasional feeding - once a week.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Anemone needs good lights. Occasional feeding - once a week.

i got one white and blue t5 light rated at 39w each and my tank is shallow , only 1 feet tall.

I have a timer that turn the light on from 6pm to 12am

Sometime i pour a few drop of plankton straight into it mouth.

I have no chiller and fan but temperture is always between 28.0 to 29.+ degree

I perform weekly 15% water change with Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Am i performing the correct care for my anemone? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

My opinion:

Your water temperature is too high. I keep my tank @26c.

Lighting wise, if you find your anemone stretching upwards to get more exposure, it is likely not getting enough PAR from your lights.

Try to feed meaty foods. I give mysis or squid once a week.

Healthy and striving anemones have vibrant colours, tighly closed mouths, opens up with good tentacle inflation when light is on and not to mention stays put once it find a comfy spot. If they are really happy, they will split to clone themselves regularly.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

I see , Thanks! :thanks:

Agree my temperature is high.

Monthly electrical cost is my main concern because of that i decided not to go with a chiller.

I have seem some people and LFS that doesn't use chiller, yet they can keep healthly softies and LPS.

By giving my anemone good lighting, water and food , hopefully i can keep it at least close to healthy :thumbsup:

i like to ask another question here , any bro and sis here( in SIngapore) able to keep bubble tip anemone for a year without using chiller or aircon? :unsure:

• SRC Member

I have success in keeping BTA for 9 months till i decided to sell it because I want to switch the RBTA.

When I found a buyer and took out the BTA then realized it was already developing the 2nd base *sigh*

In any case, I was using a chiller, temperature set @ 27 deg and using MH light and weekly feed of small fish pieces.

Anyway, in LFS sometimes we dont see chiller but the water is pumped or connected to a source that is chilled or air-conditioned...

Regards,
Jeff

Aquarium: 48" x 18" x 24" tank with 24" x 15" x 15" sump (approx. 150 gallons)
Equipment: Maxspect Razor 320W, Vortech MP40, Vertex Omega 180i, Eheim 1262 return pump, Hailea HS 66A, Bacteria King
Fish and coral food: Henry's Reefgourmet pellets, Preis coral energizer, Kent Marine PhytoPlex, Brightwell Reef Snow, Two-Little Fishies Marine Snow
Dosage: Triton Elements

IMG_0562small.jpg

• SRC Member

Agree my temperature is high.

Monthly electrical cost is my main concern because of that i decided not to go with a chiller.

For a nano chiller, electricity cost is around 40-50 per month.

For a nano chiller, electricity cost is around 40-50 per month.

wow cannot, that is way over my budget, my current electrical bill is only about lighting 39Wx2x6hoursx31days + canister 11Wx24hoursx31days + wave maker 3.5Wx24hoursx31days = $6.40 . The money that i save from getting a chiller will be use to get more fishes and hardy coral :thumbsup: by the way my tank is a 3 feet and it is very lightly stocked.

Anyway, in LFS sometimes we dont see chiller but the water is pumped or connected to a source that is chilled or air-conditioned...

What you said is true enough for most LFS. However i have seen 4 tanks in jrehmarine that run without any chiller and the coral look healthly.

Air con room?

..em.. not aircon room, no chiller no fan....

i'm worry that after reading this reply those chiller seller will kill me :fear::chair:

some addon, only hardy LPS/softies can surive without chiller in singapore. Surive for how long? i 'm still searching for answer. :P

• SRC Member

What you said is true enough for most LFS. However i have seen 4 tanks in jrehmarine that run without any chiller and the coral look healthly.

They are seller, replacing the coral is cheaper than electric bill.

• Like 1

Tank 4x2x2.5

They are seller, replacing the coral is cheaper than electric bill.

True, every batch there's always slightly more than the ordered amount to compensate for the transport casualties. They can always stock up with spares

i agreed partially , i usually visit JrehM once a month , i see the usual same coral as permanent resident in the tanks(display tank/no chiller). I could recognize the corals because they are much bigger.

Yes some LFS are selling so fast that by the 2nd visit most coral in the tank( without chiller) are gone.

according to this link: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/aquariummaintenancecare/a/reeftanktemp.htm temperature 28-29c should be okay for indopacific live stock.
Allow me to extract out the key sentence in the above link. "you will see that a vast majority of coral reefs are found where water temperatures are between 80°F and 89°F." I believe maybe we can go green without chiller :thumbsup: for certain species of coral, the trade off may be more water change due to higher temperature(hence higher metabolic rate)

• SRC Member

wow cannot, that is way over my budget, my current electrical bill is only about lighting 39Wx2x6hoursx31days + canister 11Wx24hoursx31days + wave maker 3.5Wx24hoursx31days = $6.40 . The money that i save from getting a chiller will be use to get more fishes and hardy coral :thumbsup: by the way my tank is a 3 feet and it is very lightly stocked.

Bro, the money u are "saving" is for getting more fish and coral. But with that temp, u are unable to keep those better standard coral and some fish need lower temp.

But y not get a chiller and and with the correct feeding and water, your coral can grow from 1 to a family of them.

But it still depend on yourself.

Bro, the money u are "saving" is for getting more fish and coral. But with that temp, u are unable to keep those better standard coral and some fish need lower temp.

But y not get a chiller and and with the correct feeding and water, your coral can grow from 1 to a family of them.

But it still depend on yourself.

Bro, thanks for your points, i'm actually quite budget conscious on certain expenditures, 40 to 50 bucks a month for chiller electricity bill, i feel a bit expensive.

Currently with my budget and time to spare i can only target on more hardy fish/coral species.

I notice that though a chiller is not in use , my clove/hammer/tube worm are really growing well.

Except for my BTA ,can feel that it is declining i have to change water twice a week to make it look more lively , it is a waste of saltmix in this case.

It sometime like to float around and because my tank is shallow so i 'm in constant worried that it will get caught in the powerhead, Am considering giving it away and get a torch coral heard it is more hardy.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if red bubble tip anemone is sensitive to the irwana top up??I got 2 anemone,the bubbletip actually melted away when i pour the irwana top up and the other normal anemone will close up whenever i pour.

My BTA looked half died after a month, i can see that a huge portion of it melt away. I should have put it back into the sea but due to i urgently need to commit to something else at that time, in the end i just threw it down the bin.

As a replacement I have got myself a torch with multiple heads and it is about three weeks ago.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

i got my rbta as a baby with 3 tentacles (yes 3 only) measuring about half a finger nail. In about 1.5yrs , i got (ie multiplied) 4 adult rbta

, of wh i sold 3 :).

from this experience n from sharing with others, - strong light is impt (rbta with shy to shade if its too strong though), n good flow.

cheers