dust particles

• SRC Member

Those 'dust' are detritus or air bubbles?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Yeah if it really is dust, you can use some chemicals sold in LFS that will clear up the water like Seachem Clarity which AT suggested..

For my case if my tank becomes really 'blur' after a water change or something, I'd just run a mechanical filter and wait a few days.. usually it will become pretty clear in 2 to 3 days..

You could try activated carbon too.. Maybe it ain't excatly particles.. could be chemical reasons causing the blur water..

Or check your flow rate..

Hope I helped..

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Dear All,

I'm having the same problem. As advised by the senior reefers here, after removing all my coral chips in my sump (which my sump is now completely empty), I find that my Nitrate is now undetectable.

However, I also find that my main tank is very dusty when the MH light is on. I do not have any cottom wool or any mech filter to trap the dust.

Is there something that I do wrong here? My sump is now almost completely empty without anything (other than some carbon). I'm thinking of putting back some of the coral chip to trap the dust and dirt. Is this a good idea?

Also, I would like to know how the reefers here trap the dusty particle in the water if the sump does not have any coral chip or wool.

Please advise.

Best Regards,

Patrick

• SRC Member

there is no way to remove the dust particles... if i'm not wrong ur tank doesn't have lots of live rock right?

because the current hit almost every corner... and tat makes stuffs like fish shit and those decompose items hard to settle down... tats y..

mine tank also like tat... no choice..

• SRC Member
Are you saying that most of the reefers here have empty sump that doesn't use anything to trap the particles, and the tank is crystal clear?

I don't use any mechanical filter. Just let the particles/detritus settle in the sump and siphon out during water change. If I look very closely, I can still see tiny particles floating in the water column. But I would not say that the water is blurry.

Is yours blurry (eg. milky) or is your water clear but that there are particles in it?

• SRC Member

I used to have this problem in the initial stage of my tank and managed to overcome it by using a canister filter which sucks water directly from one end of main tank and returns the filter water at the other end. Canister was full of filter floss. Took me about 1 week to totally eradicate the floating stuff. :)

• SRC Member

I heard from a friend that this "dust" particles are actually dead algaes and detritus. I used to have this problems before. What i do is that i add more liverocks, as this particles will float around the tank and get caught in the liverocks. So what i do is that whenever i do water changes, i use my siphon pipe as a vacuum cleaner and vacuum my liverocks to clear all the "dust" particles. Have been working fine for me. Water now crystal clear. Just my 2cents. May give it a try.

• SRC Member
I used to have this problem in the initial stage of my tank and managed to overcome it by using a canister filter which sucks water directly from one end of main tank and returns the filter water at the other end. Canister was full of filter floss. Took me about 1 week to totally eradicate the floating stuff. :)

Alfa,

Does this mean that after the 1 week, you don't have to use the canister filter anymore and the problem will not come back again?

So it means that I do not need to put in additional coral chips into the sump right? Now my sump is practically empty as I have removed all the coral chips 6 months ago.

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

Alfa,

Does this mean that after the 1 week, you don't have to use the canister filter anymore and the problem will not come back again?

So it means that I do not need to put in additional coral chips into the sump right? Now my sump is practically empty as I have removed all the coral chips 6 months ago.

Thanks,

Patrick

For me, i left the canister running for 1 month to polish the water, after the 1 month.. no more floating stuff liao :)

• SRC Member

Alfa,

Thanks, so looks like I need to start looking for a canister filter now. Anyone have second hand want to sell? Prefer eheim type. :)

BTW, do you think it will be equally effective if the canister filter draw water from the sump and return water into the sump instead of doing it directly in the tank, which means I have to put the canister on the top of the hook.

Thanks,

Patrick