reasonable price for a 5ft tank?

Qoo

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Was quoted $1,100 for a 5ft x 2ft x2ft , 12mm thinkness tank with cabinet and 3 ft sump.

is this price reasonable? how much do u guys pay for your tank?

:blink:

IMO, That's really cheap.....

But remember, the price you pay gets you that type of quality....

;)

• SRC Member

eh Qoo...jio u check out this glass shop opp. mindef.....his worker's skill in siliconing not bad....but i tink they make tanks without much science involved...however all u need is to specify exactly how u wan yer tank to be made and tink he'll do it to yer specs...price quite low too...only bad thing is that he dun even cut styrofoam 4 u so dun even tink abt other forms of asthetics....

ISLANWIDE Doorstep CO2 refill @ $42.00 (5L and below)sms 93638229 now!!!! For larger canisters do enquire:]

• SRC Member

That's cheap for a 5ft. i got a quote for 4 x 2.5 x 2 complete set @ $1400/-(of cos with gd quality wood)

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

That's cheap. My tank alone 5x2x2 cost $1100 with starphire glass on 3 sides. Include overflow, delivery and plumbing to my 2 Eheim 1060.

For that price, I think it is normal glass.

• SRC Member
You sure you're not being cheated?

I paid $650 for my 5.2 x 2.4 feet starphire pane... at 12mm.

Maybe yours is 5mm? ;)

I thought at that time I was cheated. Paying so much for a custom made 5 feet tank. My friend got his custom made 4 feet tank for only $500 at Lor Halus. At that time I dunno it was starphire when Raymond from Aquamart told me. At that time I don't believe him. But because he is my father good old friend I just pay (just sold my house 2 years back).

When AT mention that if you look closely at the glass and you won't get dizzy than I remember what Raymond told me about this special glass.

I then compare with my friend tank and that is the BIG difference.

After that I felt good paying $1100 for the tank. It is 12mm. Of course I ended buying the Aquamedic Reef 500 System ($500), 2 Eheim 1060 (2x$150), 8 bag of sand, 4x10K VHO, 2xActinic, 6xReflectors, etc together with the tank. The total is hard to swallow. AT, you have to come and see to believe. Probably he charge me more for the reef 500 and PH.

Even a 4 feet MH pendant light (2x150W 10K DE and 2xActinics) from Taiwan initially cost $1000 and I got it for $650 after pestering him for 6 months. Last 2 stock that's why.

After all these years, only now I believe when Raymond says he gives me a "special price" because of my father. :D

I even get discount when I buy other stuff from him.

• SRC Member
so next time want to buy tank ... can get you to help or not ?? :rolleyes:

I even DIY my new sump and refugium thinking that I will pay too much to get other people to do it. And it is more satisfying and fun that way to make a small tank.

I don't think he will give me that price anymore unless I told him the tank is broke, which he will not believe anyway.

• SRC Member
yazid: STARPHIRE that cheap??my contractor quote me SGD34 for per sq ft of starphire??hey can pm me you glass manufacturer??

If it is S$34 per sq ft than for a 5by2 + 5by2 + 2by2 is only 24 sq ft of sapphire. Total is S$816 plus another non sapphire 2by2, 5by2 base, glue, overflow glass, 3xdrill hole, man hours, delivery... $1100 that's cost price to me. It is worth it.

Your glass manufacturer should be cheap already unless he wants to jack up his profit.

• SRC Member
Maybe should let us know where is the place?

I have mention it that I got it from Raymond@Aquamart, Paya lebar. Raymond is the boss.

Yazid, good for you then! Sounds like you got a fantastic deal.

The only way to be certain is you look at the starphire glass pane sideways.... from end to end... you have a clear view of whats on the other side... and there is no green tint.. just clear glass.

Refer to this thread here.

A picture says a thousand words.. so perhaps you could post your starphire pane pix just to be sure.

• SRC Member
Yazid, good for you then! Sounds like you got a fantastic deal.

The only way to be certain is you look at the starphire glass pane sideways.... from end to end... you have a clear view of whats on the other side... and there is no green tint.. just clear glass.

Refer to this thread here.

A picture says a thousand words.. so perhaps you could post your starphire pane pix just to be sure.

It is going to be difficult to compare now. The overflow panel is painted black and is against the wall thus would not be able to see through from the other open end. With the black silicon, it is even worse. Basically, there is no light at the other end.

It would be easier to see if it is not fix yet.

The closeup camera shots I took. Basically the camera touches the glass

to shoot less than half an inch Blastomusa in the middle of the tank. 1 feet away.

And the 1 inch Anemonia majano in the middle of the tank.

No morphing, concave view, blurring and the camera is able to focus on the subject.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forums/index.php...8049f380b20bc6e

Camera: Canon Powershot A40

Zoom: 7.5 (Optical + Digital)