Recommended salinity for FOWLR

Thanks for all your feedback.

Has anyone gone below 1.018 with long term success?

Going sg level at below1.10 is a form of hypo treatment for ich since ich cannot survive on such low sg level. However it should not be a long term solution since it is not good for the fish.

Having a lower sg level, will also help to relief stress on the fish since they can breath easier.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Just to add that they are also additional benefit for a lower sg level in a fowlr tank. Accordingly to seacherm Cuppermine copper work better at lower sg level of 1.16 to 1.18 if the need arise one day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I have a small brackish water setup for my green spotted puffers (salinity at 1.010)

Then I got this aggressive yellow belly damsel and 6 line wrasse, so I remove them from my marine tank and drop them into my brackish water tank.

They have been there for about 2-3 months and living well.

Last month I bought a box fish, it got ich, so I drop it into this brackish water tank as well.

They all live well in there.

6 line wrasse is the king there, it chased over the damsel when fighting for food.

The Green spotted puffers which are 2x bigger does not dare to confront the wrasse and damsel.

The Boxfish seems to be ignored by them all. It is the most comical fish that I enjoy watching.

To save $ on salt, since I do 1-2x water changes on my reef tank a week, I will save the changed water that I will use for the brackish water tank water change (by adding tab water until salinity drop from 1.025 to 1.010) in the weekend. My brackish water tank has got Java fern plants that will help in absorbing nitrate. The tank does not have any mechanical filtration. I just have substrate and do 50% water change every week.

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

I kept mine for a few months at 1.016 but the fishes were doing so-so. I gradually increased back to 1.020 as it is more natural to introduce new fishes in. Not really sure the long term effect of low salinity although there is a great article on that.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_4/v4i3/angelfish/angelfish.htm

Perhaps some seniors can elaborate further?

• SRC Member

I kept mine for a few months at 1.016 but the fishes were doing so-so. I gradually increased back to 1.020 as it is more natural to introduce new fishes in. Not really sure the long term effect of low salinity although there is a great article on that.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_4/v4i3/angelfish/angelfish.htm

Perhaps some seniors can elaborate further?

Good read..thks bro..

at 1.016, ur fishes doing so so mean? what's the diff at 1.020 now? A video of ur tank will b great :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

I observed that at 1.016, new fishes took a longer time to settle in with the old fishes, and old fishes' colours were not as nice. My only benefit at this level was less salt to save some money.

• SRC Member

Yes, agreed.

Whatever the salinity, the fishes ought to be conditioned to the change slowly.

Agreed bro..

Always measure LFS water to compare the SG difference to ur tank water..by dropping 0.001 per 20 min block to acclimate the new fish work well for me thus far..

As spoken to a few reefers, look like angel need higher SG water to have better coloration..:)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Supporter

I observed too that lower salinity has some impact on the coloration esp angelfish. I would keep it at 1.020 to 1.025 somewhere close to the water from LFS so that fish get aclimize faster and easier.

• SRC Member

I used to keep my tank at 1.020 to 1.021.

Found that this is a good figure for my tank as i dont need to use too much salt(i used 1 bucket of 23kg every mth)

Easier to settle down new fishes,

Able to hold colour, for people who seen my tank last time, my queen was able to hold the blue, (partly it was a belize queen so easier to hold)

I used to keep my tank at 1.020 to 1.021.

Found that this is a good figure for my tank as i dont need to use too much salt(i used 1 bucket of 23kg every mth)

Easier to settle down new fishes,

Able to hold colour, for people who seen my tank last time, my queen was able to hold the blue, (partly it was a belize queen so easier to hold)

Your belize queen is still one of the nicest i seen lol.