Artica chiller 1/10 can support 450L of water?

gymbvolka

Have seen pple using a 1/4 hp chiller for 5 feet tank which is roughly 410 litres.

If using JBL website, Remember that actual water temperature refers to maximum water temperature which should be around 30C or 87F; also, a 40 watts flourescent fitting will give 50 watts of heat; 40 watts for the lamp and 10 watts for the ballast. It is still good to up one size larger because chiller will age over time and efficiency will drop and one might add some equipment or pumps in future..

Just to ask. You use external temperature probe? Most use internal probe. Water flow has to be high. Not likely they will get 1 hr run and 2 hrs rest.

Is better to use 1 size up and that is 1/5hp. I'm using a 1/5hp now for my 3x2x2 and that is about 90Gal. Takes an hour to chill down and rest for about 2hr.

Is better to use 1 size up and that is 1/5hp. I'm using a 1/5hp now for my 3x2x2 and that is about 90Gal. Takes an hour to chill down and rest for about 2hr.

what is your estimate electricity bill just for 1/5 chiller per month?

Mathematically, one can estimate the consumption

Use 1hp=2.8 kw cooling (not 0.746 kw which is for workdone not cooling), then cooling kw for 1/5 hp is 2.8/5 or 560 watts. With COP of 1.3 for most aquarium chiller, that will give an input electricity watt @ 560/1.3 or 430 watts. running the chiller @ 1hr on and 2 hr rest, it will run about 8 hrs/day, and hence, elect consumption will be 430*8/1000=3.4 kwh per day or 103 kwh per month.. With tariff of 0.2727 per kwh, the monthly bill should be around 103*0.2727 or $28/= per month.

what is your estimate electricity bill just for 1/5 chiller per month?

Presume that 3500 is in LPH.. the specified rate should be less than 1,500 LPH for a 1/5 HP chiller.. that high flow rate might explain the longer timing for start stop. Most chillers have start stop timing less than 1/2 hour. Thanks

No ext temp probe. Using a 3500 flow rate for the chiller.

Went to JBJ website.. now realise why Arctica users have high water flow rate for chiller. For 1/5 hp, JBJ's recommendation is min 480 gph(1800 LPH) and max 1320 gph(5000 LPH). For Resun CL650 1/4 hp, they recommended min of 1800 LPH but some only use a 1000LPH canister or pump. Aquarium chillers have a small evaporator box of not more than 10 litres . The temperature probe is always located very close to the cooling coil (for Resun CL650, it is almost touching to the coil). They will need high flow pump for the probe to give accurate temperature, I ever tested CL650 using only a 600 LPH pump with external temperature probe cooling water down 1 degree C. It worked fine cutting-in and out of the temperature setting with little change in timing. 600 LPH pump can transfer about 700 watts of cooling and CL650 has only a cooling output of 650 Watts. If one wants to save energy, using an external temperature probe with lower capacity pump should do the same job.

There are 2 ways to fix an external probe; a) to relocate existing temperature probe from the evaporator box to the tank or sump. It is shown here in the last section.

http://skyjuiceiswat...m-chillers.html

B) to install an additional temperature controller. Relocating existing probe will need to have a very good water pump.

There are 2 ways to fix an external probe; a) to relocate existing temperature probe from the evaporator box to the tank or sump. It is shown here in the last section.

http://skyjuiceiswat...m-chillers.html

B) to install an additional temperature controller. Relocating existing probe will need to have a very good water pump.

very good information and very technical guy, TQ.

May i ask you on an effective and power efficient information when deciding the horsepower of JBJ.

given a total volume of tank ( empty) 500L, do you think we need to minus the live rock and equipment that took up the volume of the whole tank.

Some reefer say is always good to up or double the size of the chiller, do you think this is more power efficient ? ( of course i think it has faster cooling effect)

Good question but I have no done any measurement or research on live rock. can only speak from technical standpoint. Assuming the occupants of the live rock doesn't emit any heat, the live rock are just calcium carbonate formation much like any stone or concrete block or wall. They does not produce but just store up energy. Water has a specific heat capacity 4 times that of the rock (4.1 kj/kg/K vs 0.96 kj/kg/k) ; meaning rocks store less energy than water. Rightfully speaking, one can reduce the cooling load when there are many rocks in the tank. But because the rock are not always solid and there are actually water in most part of them, it is not advisable and it is also not a common practice to minus the live rock when calculating the volume for estimating chiller load. Remember also that heat are actually gain through glasses and the water surface and equipment and live rocks are not a part in play.

Specifying larger chiller does not necessary means more power efficiency. Actually, it is the other way round for freon chillers. Motors always run more efficiently under full load than part load condition, which sometimes can be as low as 40% efficient; moreover, starting and running chiller for a short period are not within most design specification. This is because lubricating oil are carried around by freon in the refrigeration cycle. The compressor motor might not get enough oil from freon for proper lubrication for short running period. It might increase the wear. Furthermore, starting load (or ampere) of a motor is always 3 or 4 times and sometimes 6 times the running load. Rightfully, it is only good to size chiller 20-40% larger when there is no future loads to be considered. Aquairum chiller manufacturer often advise sizing chillers to run on a 20 - 30 minutes cycle or about 6-8 hours running time per day.

That is a very big size tank about 375 gallons. exceeded the JBJ website limit for quick sizing. All depend on whether you wanted to keep coral or just fish.; The lightings make a lot difference in chiller load. they are pple who use 1/3 hp just for fish. In NYC, this guy use 1/3 hp for reef for similar size tank which is amazing. The temperature there can get as high as 40C during summer. Look at his tank. Guess this guy just couldn't bother

http://www.anchoraquariumservice.com/?p=9

JBJ recommended a chiller size of about 1.5 HP according to this catalogue http://www.coralreef...um=chillers_jbj

However, many in the Web just use about 1 HP. This guy uses 2 nos 3/4 tons split unit chiller which has about 1 HP each. and I like his professional work

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=522988&pp=25&page=8

A reef tank would need about 4 watts per gallons of lighting, this can work out to about 1400 watts to 1500 watts for lighting alone

My working is around 1 hp, one size up should be around 1.25 hp. 1.5 HP should be plenty.

Bro for a tank with about 1300l what hp of chiller would u suggest ?

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

I started without chiller, use fan blow across surface. Evaporation was so high, keep topping up water to my 18L holding tank every alternate day until my hand weak. Gave up and bought a chiller after 6 mths.