where to get food for coral???

• SRC Member

hi guys, may i know where can i get micro-plankton or brine shrimp? i'm thinking to get brain coral & mushroom coral and from some article, i found that these is their food...

also, where can i get Sand Sifting Sea Star fish & cleaner shrimp? how much is the market price? thank's in advance....

• SRC Member

I wouldn't advise the sand-sifting star. It can strip your sand bed of all the good critters that you want.

Live brine shrimp can get at most normal freshwater petshops. One would be Clementi Florist and Aquarium at $3 a pack. Tends to be high in nitrates and unwanted stuff so use sparingly.

Micro plankton can be obtained from bottled dead plankton products such as Kent Marine Phytoplex. About $8 a bottle.

Cleaner shrimps are around $7 apiece for skunk cleaners and $10 apiece for blood/fire shrimp.

Brain corals can be fed defrosted food such as mysis but use sparingly - high in nitrates. Mushrooms rely mostly on photosynthesis and bits of food they scavenge.

Oh... i see what you mean... yes, I am aware that some brands of frozen food use some kind of preservatives which have high levels of phosphate salts in them.

Overfeeding may cause nuisance algae blooms.

What I do normally is that i will rinse my frozen foods in fresh water or salt water do rinse out small particles and juices.

I do think that the juices and small particles will be utilized by corals like the sun corals and copepods. But the danger is estimating how much is too much.

You have to understand the capabilities of your filtration system, natural or mechanical.

hi guys, may i know where can i get micro-plankton or brine shrimp? i'm thinking to get brain coral & mushroom coral and from some article, i found that these is their food...

also, where can i get Sand Sifting Sea Star fish & cleaner shrimp? how much is the market price? thank's in advance....

Try Phytoplex from Kent Marine...good natural stuff! Brineshrimps, you must either hatch yourself or wait till the local aquariums carry them.

• SRC Member

Or just feed the brain coral fresh seafood.

Small piece of shrimp or alike works well.

Tried 'Tetra Fresh Delica - brineshrimp' with success, its easier to feed becoz its in paste form.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just like to know live brine shrimp survive in freshwater or saltwater.Becos i just bought a pkt from clementi...so just wonder can i add

freshwater to it.???And where can i find cleaner shrimp ..been to a lor halus today but disppointed...

Rgds fisher :)

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Just like to know live brine shrimp survive in freshwater or saltwater.Becos i just bought a pkt from clementi...so just wonder can i add

freshwater to it.???And where can i find cleaner shrimp ..been to a lor halus today but disppointed...

Rgds fisher :)

Brineshrimp have to use saltwater to keep them alive.. the water that they live in in the packet is usually contaminated with the waste that they accumulated. and u cannot add tapwater to them..

as for cleaner shrimps, try Sealife in balestier? Hong leong in west coast?..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Brine = very salty water. They won't survive very long in freshwater, couple of seconds at the most. Actually, the salinity of seawater is lower than the salinity of the salt lakes where they come from.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Perhaps the freshwater tanks aren't that fresh after all. I tried keeping sea monkeys in freshwater after I ran out of the saltmix a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, they didn't survive quite as long. :P

Good coral food is available from Brine Shrimp Direct.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Aren't you suppose to hatch those eggs first before feeding? Didn't know corals like eggs the way we do.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Golden Pearls are a micro food product from www.brineshrimpdirect.com

post-36-1093875548.jpg