finally starting my 5ft fowlr, some advise needed

Pls see photos below after rescape and addition of bigger LRs to create more holes and hiiding space.

Not sure if the green tea skimate is acceptable as currently without LS or shld be kopi o.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Tunze DOC 9006 DOC protein skimmer

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Did you add a source like prawn meat etc to kick start your cycling initially ? If you did and your ammonia tested zero it mean your tank cycling is already completed .

How long have you Been cycling your tank ?

Your scaping look great !

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks all.

Really need to stress, tedious rockscaping. haha.

Well, i started my cycling on 10 Dec 12.

Its about a month. I added 2 market prawns on 10 Dec and less than 5-6 days, both disappeared. Did not conduct any test until recently.

Hopefully my cycling had completed. Had added in fish food during cycling but nvr dosed any bacterias.

Tedious rockscaping and since its BB, i siphoned at least once a week, using a hose sucking up the dirts directly to my sump below, letting all the dirts accumulate on the cotton wool. Will be doing W.C 10% every 2 weeks.

I bought 1 regal angel, 1 blue face and 2 cleaner shrimps. Both the shrimps didnt make it. Both angels are ok and eating, but keep hiding in the rocks. Im also running UV and cleaning the skimmer cup once in 3 days as i cannot stand the dirty look.

I realise that my temp shot up to as high as 31.3.. believe thats the reason by the cleaner shrimps KO but as of now, both angels still surviving good, feeding on mysis and pallets ( pallets thrown in but nvr see them eat yet)

Now, rushing home daily hoping not to see any angel lying around. Praying hard.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Thanks all.

Really need to stress, tedious rockscaping. haha.

Well, i started my cycling on 10 Dec 12.

Its about a month. I added 2 market prawns on 10 Dec and less than 5-6 days, both disappeared. Did not conduct any test until recently .

Hopefully my cycling had completed. Had added in fish food during cycling but nvr dosed any bacterias.

Tedious rockscaping and since its BB, i siphoned at least once a week, using a hose sucking up the dirts directly to my sump below, letting all the dirts accumulate on the cotton wool. Will be doing W.C 10% every 2 weeks.

I bought 1 regal angel, 1 blue face and 2 cleaner shrimps. Both the shrimps didnt make it. Both angels are ok and eating, but keep hiding in the rocks. Im also running UV and cleaning the skimmer cup once in 3 days as i cannot stand the dirty look.

I realise that my temp shot up to as high as 31.3.. believe thats the reason by the cleaner shrimps KO but as of now, both angels still surviving good, feeding on mysis and pallets ( pallets thrown in but nvr see them eat yet)

Now, rushing home daily hoping not to see any angel lying around. Praying hard.

After two month, your tank cycling should have been completed. Not many reefer have patient like you here :P

Are you running a chiller and what is your sg level ? If you intent to keep a fish only tank, consider sg level at 1.18 or lower but the down side of it is that you may not be able to keep invert like shrimp ect.. Go for a compressor chiller if you can for your tank size since it is going to be cheaper over the long term in terms of power consumption and efficiency . Temp over 30 degree is high for angel fish to do well,

derrick? how is the emperor? i figured it could be you.

Hi Eric

Yup, i tell you bro... your little emperor... started feeding on pellets and mysis less than 10 mins after it got home. I did not quarantine it, but placed the container in my DT for the temp to get right. After abt 3 hours then i let go into the DT using similiar dripS method. Thanks, its a great and healthy little juvenile.

Actually just feeding on my other angels, but somehow, the food got into the basket and little emperor gobbled it up.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Just some updates and advise required.

My S.G level is about 1.020-1.021.

I got a major problem, recently, bad weather, the temp goes up to as high as 31.7! A good reason for me to on air-con for a short while, however, im using 1.5L bottle to froze water, and exchanging them in the sump, hoping to cool the temp. I do not have the option to run a chiller due to space etc.

Any advise? Using fan - evapouration rate goes up.

I realise that, a lot of dust like particles settles on the BB as well as LRs, esp when i shifted the wavemaker, you can see a lot of dust flying around. Is that norm?

Only the little emperor likes seaweeds. The other 2 angel (Regal and blue face) keep hiding in rocks and coming out for food only.

due to temp, i cannot have shrimps much as i love them. As my tank is BB, is there any goby that i can keep? At least to help clean the floor or clear the uneaten food. Any goby dont need sand?

Thanks all for the advise.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Shrimp is in ur large angel menu.

haha thanks bro...

So, its a no-no to clelaner shrimps, doctor shrimp etc etc... anyway the water temp is also not suitable for them.. haiz.. any advise on gobies for BB? i know they are sand lovers, but still, anyone keeping them without sand?

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

• SRC Member

hi bro, very nice tank again.

thanks for answering my qtns and hope i can give my 2cents here in return.

for the dust, i think tht would be sand and detritus. since u are on bb, how bout pointing the wavemaker downwards so tht the sand/detritus will be in suspension to be removed by your filter wool in the sump?

with regards to the temp, although 31+ is a little on the high side, hw about just monitoring ur fishes since ur not keeping any inverts? if not, chiller would really help. no space also, if u really want, for sure have space one haha much like stocking up on fishes.

nxt alternative is fan, but higher evaporation rate like u mentioned. dont knw if its gona help, but once u knw hw much ur tank is evaporating water per day, maybe can freeze the same amt of distilled water and drop in the sump evry mornin b4 u go to work/sch. but quite a hassle though.

gd luck and happy reefing, more updates and pics of ur fishes would be co

http://wap.miworld.com.sg

• Like 1

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

My queen and blueface eaten 2 cleaner and 2 fire shrimps right in front of my eye. And I tried my luck again, bought 2 cleaner shrimps, before they landed on the sand when I put in, all my angelfishs rushed to attack and eat them. Perhaps is just my angelfish addicted to shrimp.

My queen and blueface eaten 2 cleaner and 2 fire shrimps right in front of my eye. And I tried my luck again, bought 2 cleaner shrimps, before they landed on the sand when I put in, all my angelfishs rushed to attack and eat them. Perhaps is just my angelfish addicted to shrimp.

Would be better to add them when it is dark and the fishes are sleeping,

sometimes the fishes are accustomed to feedings that are drop from the top of the tank such that anything that comes in = food :)

Hi, attached the rescape again as my OC complained that after buying fish, the fish keep hiding inside the rocks. The tank still looks empty.

Haha, at least, after rescape, even if the fish is hiding, i can still glimpse them.

Really regret getting at 27in height tank.

Hopefully after 2 years, i can buy a shallow tank to go deeper into reefing and corals.

My temp yesterday is 30.3. This morning at 29.6. Funny why the temp fluctuates so much. 31.7 max and 29.6 within 2 day.

Anyway, all my 3 angels (Regal 24 hrs eating), Juv emperor and blue face... likes mysis..but only emperor and regal eats pellets... and only the emperor eats sea weeds....

Any one can advise if any goby is suitable for sandless tank?

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Hmm, looks like you are introducing the cleaner shrimps into the tank the wrong way. Place the shrimp onto the net & then bring the net closer to the rocks.

Attaching some pics. Hope bros dun find them bored.

Any kind souls pls advise if the skimate by my skimmer is ok? Seems light.

Only able to snap a photo of the regal as it's owas trying to fight against the current by the wavemaker.

As for the blueface and emperor, just so readily standby for phototaking.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Thanks bro Weeseng, yup, Definately, and glad that bro Eric is honest and he actually feeds his emperor before letting me confirm the fish.

yup, bro Vtec, is keeping yr view in mind now. Im searching for a suitable chiller for this 5ft as well as checking the size so that i can decide where i can place it if im getting it. Any advise for a small chiller but powerful enough for a 5ft?

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

welcome! Nice scaping btw. Have you added any new stuff? Keep us updated on your budding 5feet fowlr bro!

Hi bro

Did another scaping and added a coral beauty (choosen by my oc). haha, trying to get her to have the same frequency as previously she didnt like fishkeeping.) Got it at seletar farm (Ah pek) and quarantined it for half a day. Did a quick FW dip, ensure the temp and SG the same, before using mixing my tank water and the bag water into the pail. Now the fish inside the betta box, will be monitoring it for at least 3 days b4 releasing it in.

To be honest, its quite tedious, to bring home a fish. haha.

Will upload my new scape in a few days time. So far, so gd, all fish eating well, except that my lightings, not sure if its enough as im using the normal 5ft aquarium 40w lighting. Dun think its enough to enhance coraline growth.

5ft x 27 x 27 FOWLR

Equipments

Aquazonic 9w UV

Residents

1 x Emperor

1 x Koran

1 x 6 Bars

1 x Gray

1 x niger trigger

1 x Picasso Trigger

2 x Orange skunk clowns

Re-scaping is good for new fish introduction, but after the system is stablised, sometimes, re-scraping may cause outbreak of ich. It may due to disturbance of the sands and the rock that ich eggs inside it or the increase in dirts/etc that create the increase ANN or some reasons that I also do not know. Luckily, yours is bare bottom tank, less chances.

Plan the introduction of fishes rather than keeping change the landscrape unless there is a real need to do so. Yours is a 5ft tank, it is less of a chances of fightling among themselve as the number of fish are only a few.

Half a day quarantine is not quarantine as the ich/disease is inside the fish body will not be kill as it is not affected by the medicine in the water. FW dip kill the disease on the surface of the body not inside the body.

That is what I known and just to share.