DIY LED light

zonerx

Did anyone drive their DIY LEDs with those 12V power adaptors? (those look like laptop power supply)

I got 5x10w leds chips, in theory a 12V 5A power adaptor should be enough to power all 5 10w leds rite?

Anyone can advice?

thanks

Thanks, so is it necessary to add additional components? Resistor or regulator?

Will it blow out if the current supplied are lower than the rated current required by the LEDs?

The LED rated 1.05 amp each... When factor in the resistance each led should be getting less than 1amp, rite?

Better to get a constant current driver.

If not your LED 's life will be shorten tremenously.

Normal LED can last at least 50,000 hours before it start to dim down

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

+ 1 it is better for you to get a led driver ... save you the trouble of changing led and adaptor. ..

Get meanwell drive from overseas cheaper... those china driver sold in slt usually dont last

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Did anyone drive their DIY LEDs with those 12V power adaptors? (those look like laptop power supply)

I got 5x10w leds chips, in theory a 12V 5A power adaptor should be enough to power all 5 10w leds rite?

Anyone can advice?

thanks

Yes it can be done. May I know what is the mA for each 10W bulb?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bro can elaborate more details ?

A few months back I was toying with some 10w LEDs (same spec as yours, 1050mA). I tested it with a 12Vdc5A PSU and to my surprise, it drew close to 3A instead of the 1.05A.

This means that if you are using a 12Vdc1A PSU to power each LED, you may be overloading the PSU hence the overheating.

Now, if you connect the LEDs in parallel and power it up using a 12Vdc5A PSU, you might be overloading the PSU as well. Kirchhoff's Current Law comes to play here and you'll end up with a huge current draw at the main circuit.

But if you use a constant current source, the current supplied is designed to be constant and will not give out more amperes even if the device demands more. Either way can work but alot depends on the circuit design.

bro can elaborate more details ?

A few months back I was toying with some 10w LEDs (same spec as yours, 1050mA). I tested it with a 12Vdc5A PSU and to my surprise, it drew close to 3A instead of the 1.05A.

This means that if you are using a 12Vdc1A PSU to power each LED, you may be overloading the PSU hence the overheating.

Now, if you connect the LEDs in parallel and power it up using a 12Vdc5A PSU, you might be overloading the PSU as well. Kirchhoff's Current Law comes to play here and you'll end up with a huge current draw at the main circuit.

But if you use a constant current source, the current supplied is designed to be constant and will not give out more amperes even if the device demands more. Either way can work but alot depends on the circuit design.

I'm using 12v dc 5a psu and leds in parallel connection

I would strongly urge you to go for LED driver, if you are seriously want to prolong your LEDs which few reefers here have already adviced you before.

Btw, parallel and series connection are both fine. For parallel connection, simple current protection circuit would be adviceable to put in place in case of all LED blow off due to one LED short circuit. Whereas series is more simple and safer so it is the way to go for beginner even for expert :evil: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

For parallel circuits, try to use a current mirror setup to balance the current from the PSU. More complicated to setup but hey, you want the LEDs to last right ? *grin*

I'm currently working on a 16 x 10W LED project and am experimenting with a new idea of have 16 x 10W LED drivers to power them up. The first 4 should be up by end Feb cos I'm still waiting for the shipment to arrive.

Series circuits are easier to setup as mentioned by bro Jameshong, the only problem is the PSU. i.e 12V for 1 x LED, 24V for 2 x LED .... 48V for 4 x LED The more LEDs you connect in series, the higher the voltage. Unfortunately, the pricing increases with the voltage as well.

• SRC Member

I see, so adding a 10W resistor is one way to do it too i guess, thats what I saw how the leds shop at slt conect to their 10w display leds.

10W resistor is not cheap and is going to be very hot!!!!!!!

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

For parallel circuits, try to use a current mirror setup to balance the current from the PSU. More complicated to setup but hey, you want the LEDs to last right ? *grin*

I'm currently working on a 16 x 10W LED project and am experimenting with a new idea of have 16 x 10W LED drivers to power them up. The first 4 should be up by end Feb cos I'm still waiting for the shipment to arrive.

Series circuits are easier to setup as mentioned by bro Jameshong, the only problem is the PSU. i.e 12V for 1 x LED, 24V for 2 x LED .... 48V for 4 x LED The more LEDs you connect in series, the higher the voltage. Unfortunately, the pricing increases with the voltage as well.

wow 16x10w you must have a very big tank, 5x10w i feel bit too bright for my 3 ft tank already :D