Rowaphos

I already have a FR running bio pallet and do not want to set up another FR running Rowaphos. It is effective if I bagged Rowaphos and placed it directly under the return water?

tks.

If your PO4 is not really high and you are able to manually shake your bag daily, it should be alright.

But if your PO4 is high, its better to use FR as it will be more efficient.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Can I run both Rowaphos (bagged) and bio pallet in the same FR?

Try not to as the bagged rowaphos will prevent bio pellet from fluidising. Bio pellets require good fluidizing in order to perform optimally. Best is to have bot in separate FR.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Is it due to a space constraint that you cannot run 2 FRs?

Based on my personal experience (I hope the experienced guys can chime in too), I think it's harder to reduce phosphates than nitrates.

So assuming you have a space constrain, run the phosphate remover instead..

Your live rocks can do the removal of nitrates..

Let us know how it goes?

4 x 2 x 1 low tank

DIY LED

Trying to minimise equipment as much as possible.

Would love to make new friends in the reefing community - PM me!

A short video of my tank on a Sunday morning

• SRC Member

Is it due to a space constraint that you cannot run 2 FRs?

Based on my personal experience (I hope the experienced guys can chime in too), I think it's harder to reduce phosphates than nitrates.

So assuming you have a space constrain, run the phosphate remover instead..

Your live rocks can do the removal of nitrates..

Let us know how it goes?

it is not due to space constrains.. just want to cut down on electricity usage... too many equipments drawing power from the same wall outlet, dont know ok or not. anyway decided to get 2nd hand fr from a reefer later.

last question - should i or should not i bag the rowaphos inside the fr?

thanks

Depending on whether you believe that aluminium will leech into your water, you can consider using Seachem Phosguard instead for your nano. I used it in a filter bag in my OF 24L (the previous office tank)
Is the seachem pho sugared effective when u place in a filter bag n into ur filter?

• SRC Member

Depending on whether you believe that aluminium will leech into your water, you can consider using Seachem Phosguard instead for your nano. I used it in a filter bag in my OF 24L (the previous office tank)

i've been reading alot debate on aluminium based VS iron based phosphate remover and it seems like seachem phosguard will absorb large amount of po4 initially and get exhausted very quickly and iron based like rowaphos is slower but more steady absorption.. overall rowaphos appears to be the obvious choice..

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Yes, but rowaphos requires placement in an FR for maximum efficiency. You put in in a filter bag and given its small grain, it will compact over time and you will just get bypass flow over it. Remember, fine mesh filter bag also restricts water flow, and we all know water takes the path of least resistance. End up with super low efficiency which is likely to be surpassed by even seachem phosguard.

Sometimes you need to match the product to your limitations - in ideal vs ideal circumstances, rowaphos surpasses phosguard. But in a situation where you have no FR and only a small hob to place a filter bag in, then logically you shouldn't be using rowaphos.

Just my opinion.

it is not due to space constrains.. just want to cut down on electricity usage... too many equipments drawing power from the same wall outlet, dont know ok or not. anyway decided to get 2nd hand fr from a reefer later.

last question - should i or should not i bag the rowaphos inside the fr?

thanks

don't worry about the electricity - most of us probably already have a dedicated pump for the chiller, just send the outlet of the chiller into your FR.. The benefits of having a FR far exceeds the 'savings' for electricity..

2ndly, I prefer iron based phosphate removals as you can leave and forget for a few months.. 1 less thing to worry means more time to enjoy the tank :)

Let us know how things turn out, and if the FR works for you..

4 x 2 x 1 low tank

DIY LED

Trying to minimise equipment as much as possible.

Would love to make new friends in the reefing community - PM me!

A short video of my tank on a Sunday morning