Clam placement

gargamelron

Can clam be place at bare bottom.? Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Tank Size: 42” x 18” x 12/18” (4 side and centre use Crystal Clear Glass)
Sump: 36” x 15” x 15/20”
Return Pump: Reef Octopus Diablo DC 10000
Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201
Wavemaker: 2 X VorTech MP10ES Propeller Pump
Chemical Filtration: 2 X H2 Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Reactor(Rowa & Chemi Pure Elite), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR30 (biopellets) with
Tesino GP-231 Amphibious Pump
Bio Media: Bacteria King - 10 Litres
Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/4 Hp - DBE-200)
Lighting: ATI Sunpower 6 x 39 Watt T5

(Blue+ Blue+ Purple+ Coral+ Actinic Blue+) (9hrs)

Auto TopUp system: JBJ ATO

Anyone? Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201
Chemical Filtration: 2 X H2 Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Reactor(Rowa & Chemi Pure Elite), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR30 (biopellets) with

• SRC Member

Does this pic answer ur question? Happy clam day..

post-18847-0-08614000-1360255380_thumb.j

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Iwarna have some ard 2 inch Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Skimmer:
Skimz SM 201

• SRC Member

yah iwarner got some small clams sometimes. Doesnt matter small or big.. got nice color all i throw into my tank.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Clams can be placed at bare bottom.. But it will be problematic to reposition/relocate them if the need arises once they attached onto the glass.

I always place a piece of rock underneath them and hope that they will attach to the rock . This will make shifting easier.

Hope this helps..

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

From my limited experience they do stick to rocks placed under them. If they attach themselves to the glass, you should be able to cut the attachment threads with a small blade (cut near to glass).

U can place it on sandbed too, infact, anywhere. lol. I used to have them on sandbed, rocks, glass bottom, all opened up just the same. Maybe there is a preference for the clam, but i personally can't tell through observation.

I Love Stagsss

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious to know since we're on the topic. Is it safe to pull a clam off its position once it is attached to the rock? I mean really well attached, in the event i need to rescape or something.

I Love Stagsss

I haven't had problem with clams not sticking unless the flow is way too high. Is your clam healthy? Any pests?
I dun have any worms, crabs or shrimps... Not sure if it's my snow flake eel b'coz I saw that the edges of my clam has been nibbled... Could this be problem - snow flake!

• SRC Member

Just curious to know since we're on the topic. Is it safe to pull a clam off its position once it is attached to the rock? I mean really well attached, in the event i need to rescape or something.

the sticky part isn't living so it should be okay. I mean that's also how they remove them from the sea right

• SRC Member

I Would Say On Sand Is The Best

cause clams Wiggle some times..and might drop if its on rockwork

so sand is safer..

if really want to be safe..get a thin piece of LR And place it below..on the sand

cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

I dun have any worms, crabs or shrimps... Not sure if it's my snow flake eel b'coz I saw that the edges of my clam has been nibbled... Could this be problem - snow flake!
My apologies again for hijacking this thread.... I got rid of the snails and the snow flake eel but my clam is still not opening... I picked it up and noticed the base has retracted inwards... So how can I entice it to open up again...?

Hey martian, If its not a natural predation issue, than its your water chemistry. Have u checked your SG, KH and CA recently? One of them is probably too low. Calms are pretty demanding on CA and KH. They can survive in a wide range, but if it dips too low, the clam has nothing to use for growth. Hence it will close up to conserve energy for survival.

I Love Stagsss

Hey martian, If its not a natural predation issue, than its your water chemistry. Have u checked your SG, KH and CA recently? One of them is probably too low. Calms are pretty demanding on CA and KH. They can survive in a wide range, but if it dips too low, the clam has nothing to use for growth. Hence it will close up to conserve energy for survival.
I actually add CA and Mg every 2 days but not KH... Never tested these parameters though...

Never add what u can't test bro. You probably overdosed a certain element. Best to check, or borrow test kits. Ca , kh and mg work hand in hand, if your KH is low (since u dont dose), and u have high CA, your CA is just gonna precipitate out and become useless. The excess CA will now deposit on your equipment, causing possible failure in a short term. MG is good as it keeps your ca and kh stable, but u need to get the right balance first. If you are using a good salt mix, and change water regularly, usually u dont need to add MG at all. Unless ur salt mix is low on mg in the first place.

I Love Stagsss

Never add what u can't test bro. You probably overdosed a certain element. Best to check, or borrow test kits. Ca , kh and mg work hand in hand, if your KH is low (since u dont dose), and u have high CA, your CA is just gonna precipitate out and become useless. The excess CA will now deposit on your equipment, causing possible failure in a short term. MG is good as it keeps your ca and kh stable, but u need to get the right balance first. If you are using a good salt mix, and change water regularly, usually u dont need to add MG at all. Unless ur salt mix is low on mg in the first place.
Lol... Too much work already... Was told its easy.... I think better throw away or let the clam be fish food in that case... Thanks for the advise...