Bleached Open Brain Coral

rainmalawi

My brain coral bleached in one week after I got it. I placed it on the sand bed without any shade when it first arrived as I thought my lights are not that intense. Could the bleaching be due to too much lighting without proper acclimatization to light? Is this type of brain coral hard to retain their colors? Is it common for these brain corals to bleach easily? Thank you.

NH4 = 0.25

NO2 = 0

NO3 = 10

Cal = 400

Alk = 8

Sal = 1.023

Lights = 2 x 54W Aquazonic Super Sun (10 hours)

Placement = Sandbed of 2.5ft height tank

post-22471-0-57383300-1360674954_thumb.j

post-22471-0-83559200-1360674982_thumb.j

could it be lack of iodide/iodine?

my mushroom bleach till almost transparent. i didn't change the lighting hours, but i added kent's marine lugol's solutions. and it's red color came back brightly in days.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

could it be lack of iodide/iodine?

my mushroom bleach till almost transparent. i didn't change the lighting hours, but i added kent's marine lugol's solutions. and it's red color came back brightly in days.

I am using seachem iodide but no improvement. The brain used to be very alive...expanding and contracting and put out feeder tentacles at night. Now, it is not expanding or contracting and no feeder tentacles. Almost like artificial coral....everyday same same.

Try dipping in coral rx or diluted iodine solution (coral dip) a few times a week. Also shift ur open brain to a shaded and low flow area for the moment. Reducing the photo period will also help.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Thanks for the advice bro.
U r welcome.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

ohh..now i realise the true color of my brain. bought it with its coloring like tat. tot it was the color until sum1 pointed out tat my brain was bleaching....i m starting also to dose iodine. let me know if lower light and flow helps. now its placed in mid flow high light area for mine

Daily dosing of lugol solution & placing in low light and flow area to help healing.

• SRC Member

2 x 54w t5 does not have enough intensity to reach 2.5ft depth imo. Try shift your open brain to 15 inches from the water surface at low flow area. If it have to be kept at the sandbed, you need mh or led.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

I think your bleaching might be due to insufficient light. No need to upgrade light, test out bringing your brain to higher position and monitor for 1-2 months

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

• SRC Member

It will take months to heal back not days

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

It will take months to heal back not days
Agreed.

bt the problem is the rib cage is showing..

If I were u, I will chose a low flow & shaded area, (not dark must have light but not direct lighting) and place the trachy there. Moving it every few days to find a good spot for it will only further stress the coral out. Once fixed on the location, daily dosing of iodine or lugol solution to help healing. If the skeleton showing and there decomposition near the area where skeleton exposed, try to clean away the rotting skin if u hv coral rx or lugol solution, dipping in it for a few mins & gently shake away the rotting part. When done, rinse in fresh saltwater & return to it location. Hope this helps.

• SRC Member

I was given a "white" prata when i had a 2.5ft ht tank, i place it at the mid level of my tank with 6 tubes of T5. I feed it with fish pellets once a week. Took about 2 mths to nurse it back to full red. 2 tubes are too low for a 2.5ft height. Will advise u to shift up your coral or add more tubes

• SRC Member

If I were u, I will chose a low flow & shaded area, (not dark must have light but not direct lighting) and place the trachy there. Moving it every few days to find a good spot for it will only further stress the coral out. Once fixed on the location, daily dosing of iodine or lugol solution to help healing. If the skeleton showing and there decomposition near the area where skeleton exposed, try to clean away the rotting skin if u hv coral rx or lugol solution, dipping in it for a few mins & gently shake away the rotting part. When done, rinse in fresh saltwater & return to it location. Hope this helps.

a little confusing. so shaded low flow area? we shifted coz...nvm...we dun really move the fellow. 4 idine there is only so much to add. the instruction says not to over dose. maybe will leave it alone for a while n not touch it to further stress the guy

• SRC Member

I was given a "white" prata when i had a 2.5ft ht tank, i place it at the mid level of my tank with 6 tubes of T5. I feed it with fish pellets once a week. Took about 2 mths to nurse it back to full red. 2 tubes are too low for a 2.5ft height. Will advise u to shift up your coral or add more tubes

so is high light or low light? wah....haiz...there is no decomposition. We bought the piece from a LFS in pasir ris. didnt noe its bleaching as some of u may have already read we are pretty new so we go see nice den buy. the lfs didnt advice tat its bleaching. the color was lighter when we bought it so tot tats the color till u pointed out

bt the mouth seems to be slightly open. does it mean its hunger? will try to drop pellet in the mouth. now its mid level on a 2ft height