Is Chiller Necessary for Coral

I use a chiller for a slightly bigger tank. My fans are useless in bringing the temp down. U can try using fans first, but you'll be amazed how much better the corals do in lower temperature.

Moorish Idol has to be the most beautiful fish ever! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

yeaaaa try with fans. alternatives are those peltier coolers that u can research online. alot of shops actually leave them at room temperature but do monitor too...:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

i think if ur room always got aircon then no need ba.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

fan can chill your tank down by 2 - 3C, recently the air is pretty cooling and my tank's at 26C (34L tank) with fan chilled.. usually will be 27C or at most 28C (seldom). down side will have to top up water..

i top up 500ml twice a day (morning and night).

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

This is what I heard from a reefer

His tank is in his room. He switches on the air con every night when he sleeps.. during the day time when he goes to work, he switches off the air-conditioning.. there's no chiller or fan in his setup. Maybe that's possible as some isotopes do have corals exposed during low tide during the day..

Just some food for thoughts..

P.s. I run chiller..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Room temp okay only for certain hardier corals. Even then, they will not be at their best health and colours. If fan evaporation is not bearable, check out IceProbe.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Depending on what u want to keep. Zoas and other easy corals can do well with just a fan

yea, so true. mushrooms and zoas will probably be happy with a fan or two.

true octo, torch, open brain, flower pots, bubbles need lower temperature IMO.

Moorish Idol has to be the most beautiful fish ever! :thumbsup:

In my opinion, using fan will just cause water to evaporate too fast and thus causing temp fluctuations... A chiller will give u a more stable temp and eliminate constant water topups. Plus u can keep most corals without having worry about temp. I would get a slightly larger chiller which will maintain temp at a faster rate thus saving electricity. Ideal temp for most corals shld be around 26. If budget is of concern, try looking at the pasar malam forum, reefers do sell used chillers all the time.

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino