MH for SPS ENOUGH?

IS A 150 watts x2 MH enough for making my sps thrive? Experts please advise.

Or just beamworks LED will do?

Tank and Equipments Used:-

Tank Size: 3x1.5x2

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Wavemaker: 1x WP-40 | 1x SUNSUN 5000ltr/hr

Skimmer: BUBBLE MAGUS C7

Skimz ideas FR: Running ROWAPHOS (FEEDER PUMP: RESUN 1000)

Enductor FR: Running NP Biopellet (FEEDER PUMP: AQUABEE 1000)

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

mh + t5 is the best combi

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

I tend to differ with the LED spectrum thing... I do agree beamswork or similar sets may not have what it takes but there are pro sets out there that serves the purpose well... Likewise i tend to agree with 250w mh and up

:: just a noob ::

Bro's my tank has a 2ft depth!

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

• SRC Member

250w mh would be a better option, 400w for optimum performance... LED is out of the question, so far the spectrum is not there yet so cant compare with mh...

i disagree bro.

i have done research on lightings and i can tell you, LED technology is more than ready.

In case you do not know, usable photosynthetic radiation for corals at its highest occurs in the 420nm to 470nm range. this range can be easily achieved using a mix of royal blues, blues and UV led. Additionally, cool white or warm white spectrum can be used to spur coral growths further.

with the led technology, one can custom lighting to one's exact needs. Full spectrum leds can certainly rival MH now, and not to mention the ability to "pop" the colors of your corals.

take a look at the links below, i hope they will help to change your mind about LEDs.

http://www.reeftank123.com/lighting/lighting.html

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/aafeature

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/small-polyp-stony-corals-how-they-affected-light-wavlegnths-105878.html

I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

• SRC Member

i disagree bro.

i have done research on lightings and i can tell you, LED technology is more than ready.

In case you do not know, usable photosynthetic radiation for corals at its highest occurs in the 420nm to 470nm range. this range can be easily achieved using a mix of royal blues, blues and UV led. Additionally, cool white or warm white spectrum can be used to spur coral growths further.

with the led technology, one can custom lighting to one's exact needs. Full spectrum leds can certainly rival MH now, and not to mention the ability to "pop" the colors of your corals.

take a look at the links below, i hope they will help to change your mind about LEDs.

http://www.reeftank123.com/lighting/lighting.html

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/8/aafeature

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/small-polyp-stony-corals-how-they-affected-light-wavlegnths-105878.html

well if that would be the case it is good news.... i for one am waiting for the time that LED will be ready for SPS -- to the best of my knowledge it has not but it will, just like T5 did about a decade ago...

I am not anti-LED but on my non-biased knowledge, I haven't seen a SPS reef mature from frag to full colonies JUST under LED (and by mature I meant non-bleaching, deeply coloured and no burnt tips) -- perhaps you have any living testaments? All I see are LED-tanks with newly introduced healthy SPS but what comes after that.....

• SRC Member

Actually u do a search on RC u do get quite a bit of results... Also if I remembered correctly, madpetz has an sps tank (yes the one w the huge clam) that is completely on LEDs... I witness the tank a year ago vs recently and u can see how his sps have grown from frags to colonies... Coloration is :thumbsup: Do pop by to have a look it may change your perception of this rather juvenile light source :) Another issue for limited pictures may also be that compared to t5 or mh, it's really difficult to take proper photos and have correct colour representation of a system lighted by LEDs...

:: just a noob ::

My tank is a 3(l)x1.5(w)x2(h)

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

I thought madpetz have T5 on that shallow tank? But I do agree leds do promote growth, in fact faster than my T5. But colour wise, T5 is much faster. That's my personal observation hence selling off my mazzara P setup.

MH 150W should be enough for your 2ft tank if you place your sps carefully. Provide lots of flow for area of least lights.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Bro my length is 3ft bro. width is 1.5 and height is 2

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!