Peppermint Hogfish

• SRC Member

Recently saw a peppermint hogfish or Bodianus sepiacaudus in a lfs. Tempted to buy but refrained from doing so as I recalled the fish expert, Scott Michael described this specie as "prone to jumping". Moreover, being a hogfish, it might be tempted to attack new crustaceans, such as skunk cleaner shrimps, added into the tank after the hogfish has established itself. Would hobbyists who have kept or are currently keeping this fish care to comment?

Recently saw a peppermint hogfish or Bodianus sepiacaudus in a lfs. Tempted to buy but refrained from doing so as I recalled the fish expert, Scott Michael described this specie as "prone to jumping". Moreover, being a hogfish, it might be tempted to attack new crustaceans, such as skunk cleaner shrimps, added into the tank after the hogfish has established itself. Would hobbyists who have kept or are currently keeping this fish care to comment?

This fish is extremely fierce!

It attacks shrimps, crabs and fishes of even different genus.

Soon you will learn how scary it is!

When full estbalished, the peppermint family are rather aggressive as what bro Digiman have said. They will attack any smaller and shy fishes such as basslet, gramma, dartfish etc. They are prolific jumper and will attack smaller invert such as sexy shirmp. Bigger skunks or blood shrimps will be left alone.

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member

:big_boss: Even the fish attacked my plastic coral tong when I tried chasing it away from harassing moi fishes.

The many negative comments about the peppermint hogfish convinced me that this is not the fish for my tank. My fish tank is now in a state of harmony with fishmates living & co-existing peacefully. I don't need chaos & conflict. Thanks to all Bros who have responded.

Scary after reading this tread. I bought a Candy cane hog fish. Does it have the same temperament as peppermint? I also have a hoeven and leopard. Both are bigger size and long time residents. I intend to add a mystery wrasse too. Please advise as I am not a fish guy.

Do note tt I have hiding space , caves..etc.. In my 4 footer.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike.

The candy cane hog is a small but extremely aggressive fish. Like the peppermint, once established, they will bully any longish fish equal or smaller to them. New additions will be harass and older inhabitant that are small and more docile will not be let off either. The Terelabrus is an extremely docile and cryptic fish and will not tolerate the harassement from the Bodianus hog. Mystery wrasse though not from the Bodianus family is another very aggreesive fish once established. Many reefers have mentioned that their mystery goes after fairies and flasher to the point they go carpet surfing.

The candy cane hog is a small but extremely aggressive fish. Like the peppermint, once established, they will bully any longish fish equal or smaller to them. New additions will be harass and older inhabitant that are small and more docile will not be let off either. The Terelabrus is an extremely docile and cryptic fish and will not tolerate the harassement from the Bodianus hog. Mystery wrasse though not from the Bodianus family is another very aggreesive fish once established. Many reefers have mentioned that their mystery goes after fairies and flasher to the point they go carpet surfing.

Oh oh... Hope my Swiss Guard can keep peAce amongst these warlords fishes.

Can only wait and see.

Thanks for the info , DA

Mike.

No issue, think you might want to remove it as the smaller one of my carmabi pair when missing after my bigger peppermint hog start to get bossy and aggressive.

My helfrich dartfish pair that spawn and dance in courtship regularly no longer goes abt their routine and I hardly see them now. :(

I have kept many hogfish before and surprisingly the very big ones are quite docile.

Bodianus opercularis

Bodianus neopercularis

Bodianus sepiacaudus

The above three i have kept and have been keeping are extremely ferocious.

They are slightly over 3" and at that size it is able to reach every small corners of the tank and kill every smaller fishes/shrimps in sight.

Following are two big bodianus (ard 4.5") i kept before and they are extremely docile.

Bodianus Masudai

Bodianus Sanguineus

I kept them w small and large fishes with no aggression at all. They swim a lot but they did not harass small or bigger fishes at all.

So i suspect the size of the bodianus plays an important part. The bigger they grow they tend to mind their own business.

It is the small ones that are nightmares!

• SRC Member

Uncle mike, no worries. In ur tank wit full of gems, e fish will easily get their way lost. Dunno which corner to turn. So there will only be a short chasing here n there... Lol...

In my tank i got bodianus opercularis, 2 clown fish, 2yellow head jawfish n 2 dunno wat wrasse. So far all doin ok.

The BO is the first fish in my tank.