zaos wont open after it fell off frag plug

nicreef

• SRC Member

Hi,

this is one of my first zaos and it was opening and growing nicely. hower the polyps were stretching out as such i moved it to a higher area of lights.

in the process of moving the zoas dropped off the frag plug and i had to search for some time to fish it out.

using bsi gel, i glued the zaos back to frag plug and placed it on a higher location. this was 4 days ago but till now zaos still now opening.

just wondering if it is ok or did the drop cause damage to it? or could it be light shocked?

post-19782-0-81329700-1365924350_thumb.p

Bro.don't worry, it will.open. just leave it alone..they are Hardy stuff. I accidentally Had some.glue on My.polyp once, in the end still.open.

U Should be concern only If it stay close for more than 5 days

Moorish Idol has to be the most beautiful fish ever! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

I had a small colony that dropped and it's polyps were facing the sand for at least 24 hours and it took more than 2 weeks for every polyp to fully open

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

As a precaution, maybe u would like to shift them back to the previous location, let it settle down first, poly open and then shift up again. This is to reduce stress due ro change in light intensity & let it concentrate on recovering from the stress it suffered after falling onto the sandbed. No promise but better to let it handle 1 stress rather than 2.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

As a precaution, maybe u would like to shift them back to the previous location, let it settle down first, poly open and then shift up again. This is to reduce stress due ro change in light intensity & let it concentrate on recovering from the stress it suffered after falling onto the sandbed. No promise but better to let it handle 1 stress rather than 2.

+1

Bro Nic, the probable reason why zoas didnt open up in your case could be due to 1. shock from the drop, 2. stress from the glue, 3. from the new light intensity

Try see if the zoas still preserve it's shape and not shrinking in size. Try to place the zoas back to it's initial place as suggested by Bro Reefish. If there is no visible shrinking in size, most likely it will open up eventually. If you observe that the zoas starts to shrink in size, it's probable dying from the injury due to the glue.

Gluing zoas onto frag plug has a slight technique to observe so that the zoas skin are not being burnt by the chemical of the glue. Feel free to come by someday i will share with you how to do it.

• Like 1

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

Got it :)

Currently the size has remained the same. It's old location has another zaos frag. Would see if I can relocate him somewhere lower.

Cedric-sure will rmb to ask u the next time I visit ur place :)

• SRC Member

Good sign. Btw, nice zoas u have there. Nice colors.

Thanks. Zoas are from my fav zoas purchase place in bedok reservior view from Cedric. His zoas always very nice =p :groupwavereversed:

will update again when the other 2 opens. For now more patient waiting.

Not all opened but it is opening up more as each day passed. this is how it looks today

attachicon.gifIMG_2494.JPG

Glad that it opens up slowwwly...but steadily :friends:

As long as the zoas frag itself is frag properly and fully healed, it is usually quite hardy :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...