What happened if I remove my CarBoN ?

• SRC Member

Mine is a FOWLR tank.

Anybody can tell me if it is risky to suddenly remove my bag of Carbon ?

Will it change the parameters of my tank and my fishes will suffer ?

I just wanna try based on hear say that Carbon may cause HLE ... ...

What about replacing them with Fresh New Carbon ? Water parameters will go haywire too ??

Thanks for advice ..

• SRC Member

If you've been using carbon for sometime and your hlle prong fishes are fine, why change?

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Carbon has been there for about 2 years... wonder if I should change lor.

Moreover, I had Copper about few months back. Although stop long time ago, wonder if it's the Copper Residue or Carbon that has cause some HLE to my Angels and Tang ?

Oh yes ... Kakani... I am very sorry to you.

YOur purple Tang has been the bully and one of the greedy fish in my tank since I bought from you.

I dunno what happen..last week it stop eating and hide.

Today, it passed away . Sob.

• SRC Member

As a general guide, 3 full tablespoon of carbon per 50gallon (total volume) is enough to remove yellowish color. And change out every month or water turn yellowish, whichever comes 1st. Should not have problem removing carbon. Maybe nutrient will slowly creep up but if u hve a good skimmer & stable bioload to handle, should not be problem. Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk<br />

Carbon has been there for about 2 years... wonder if I should change lor.

Moreover, I had Copper about few months back. Although stop long time ago, wonder if it's the Copper Residue or Carbon that has cause some HLE to my Angels and Tang ?

Oh yes ... Kakani... I am very sorry to you.

YOur purple Tang has been the bully and one of the greedy fish in my tank since I bought from you.

I dunno what happen..last week it stop eating and hide.

Today, it passed away . Sob.

Bro,

Your carbon in your tank for 2 years has been transformed from a chemical filter to a biological filter. When carbon is new, it trapped whatever impurities that passes through them and also houses bacteria. After they are saturated, them cannot function optimally as a chemical filter but bacteria that house in them will continue to be there.

With the above, it is advisable to use small quantity of carbon and charge frequently.

For your case, I will remove and replace with some new carbon and continue to replace them every 2 weeks.

Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Ok Ok ... SOunds Chim to me.

Can I simply replace all existing carbon with new ones and leave them there for another year ?

carbon need to change often for it to be effective. Max i will use it for 1 mth. Then change to new one.

Ok Ok ... SOunds Chim to me.

Can I simply replace all existing carbon with new ones and leave them there for another year ?

Change frequently and use sparingly. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381