Coraline algae like actinic blue ?

• SRC Member
Coraline algae loves actinic blue actinic light and hates white light. To give your coraline a boost, increase your blue light and decrease your white light. Coraline grows best deep in the ocean where only blue spectrum light can penetrate.

Is this true ? Anyone experience coraline growth after a change to actinic blue ? Is 50/50 blue/white PL tube better or ALL blue PL better ?

• SRC Member

I don't believe seawater can have a alk of 12 with ca at 650ppm.

Coralline can grow under most kind of aquarium light and they don't need much.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Is this true ? Anyone experience coraline growth after a change to actinic blue ? Is 50/50 blue/white PL tube better or ALL blue PL better ?

when i am cycling my tank previous with actinic lights only, the coraline aglae grew like mad... after cycling, with MH, the growth is slower. if u observed the rock, those shaded area actually have more of these stuff. this is my observation. now my rocks are covered with them even with 2x250w MH 10K for my 3 footer.

I don't believe seawater can have a alk of 12 with ca at 650ppm.

Coralline can grow under most kind of aquarium light and they don't need much.

Must be my darn sealife Ca test kit could be not accurate. Not sure whether have to add the initial 4 drops of reagent A with the final total drops. If don't have to add, its about 450ppm. Sorry..side track abit :paiseh:

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

Must be my darn sealife Ca test kit could be not accurate. Not sure whether have to add the initial 4 drops of reagent A with the final total drops. If don't have to add, its about 450ppm. Sorry..side track abit :paiseh:

It should be a new tank.?

And you must be using the red sea test kit. Yes you have to add the initial 4 drops.

Increments are in 50ppm so you loose a lot of accuracy.

results from the kit is so-so.Gives you a rough gauge.

• SRC Member
Not sure can use those coloured transparent paper to act as actinic blue ? Cos mine is6500k coolday light, using the bluecolour to act as actinic blue ! Seem stupid, but i like the blue hue it gives.

u r filtering the other lights away....

hence decreasing the intensity of ur light in this way....

it's not helping in any way

actinic lights r not as ex as u tink.... if u get brands like acardia

;)