help needed on fish food

• SRC Member

just got a tang looking like fish today. The fellow seems to be hungry as its nimbles on the rocks and sand but when i tried with pellets and brine shrimp he doesnt seem to know how to eat.

Can someone help please.

post-18437-0-29198800-1369320137_thumb.j

Bro an advice, try going to any LFS and get urself a bottle of liquid garlic extract. And go home take abit of water from ur tank and add abit of garlic and soak the brine shrimp for about 15-20minutes and then pour into ur tank. Keep trying until the fish starts to eat. Thats my 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

That's a powder brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus) herbivore. Get a rock of red bamboo from lfs. Once stabilized, it will also eat meaty fair.

It's nibbling on your rocks for algae.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

How big is your tank? This species will reach 8 inches and can be aggressive if kept in smaller tanks.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

thx for all the advice. its on a 322. so far its been for docile. but maybe its new to the place.

wat is red bamboo? i hav seen red thing..stick like or shd i say ferns or brunches type. is tat the ones?

if its herbivore will it eat brine shrimps? i will try... bt not sure vegans eat meat...like rabbits eating snails...but of coz as long as tis little guy eats i am happy.

the next qn i have is tat i have a small yellow damsel i tink. when it was in 1 ft tank killed 3 smaller fishes. hence we are now starting to buy bigger and hardier fishes. so will this aggression stop since now its on a 322 tank?

We do prefer small fishes...there are many rocks to hid in

• SRC Member

another qn...fishes from LFS do not readily takes pellets. i wish to train all fishes (infuture now only 3 fish plus a shrimp). of coz vegans can eat the red bamboo thing which i must go find.

Alternatively, we can buy vegan fishes....not bad idea but wat fishes are vegans>?

A pic of my tank

post-18437-0-97101000-1369326881_thumb.j

• SRC Member

That's a powder brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus) herbivore. Get a rock of red bamboo from lfs. Once stabilized, it will also eat meaty fair.

It's nibbling on your rocks for algae.

any advice where to get it? any other vegans or herbivores out there to recommend as well?

Please teach me what you mean by stabilized? is nibbling on rocks and sand considered? i mean if start trying to eat shd be stabilized? I sound a bit stupid but we are toking abt the fish rite? not the red bamboo? so sorry as we have no clue abt this hobby. but smiles on my parents face is worth the while for me.

• SRC Member

Stabilized for fish mean it has fully settle down in your tank. in general, it will take about 3 to 6 mths to know if the fish is able to make it. powder series are not easy fish. they get ich easier than other fishes, they are super fierce, and they love big space.

Fishes are mostly caught from the ocean, there are no frozen mysis or pellets in the ocean, so we need to train them to accept these as their food.

u have a damsel and now with a powder brown tang, it will make adding fishes very hard.

• SRC Member

thanks for the advice...baically my mum prefers corals. She doesnt like to keep fishes as they die pretty easy in the 1 ft tank last time. well noted and will at least now concentrate on the corals

• SRC Member

Red bamboo is the one you mentioned. Get your tang to start feeding by providing food it knows from the wild. then slowly train to eat the prepared foods. You can get red bamboo from LFS. Stabilize is as per what Bro Vtec said. Corals are as hard, and sometimes harder to care for than fishes.

It's a vegan I think, give it some Nori. Henry's Pellet is pretty cool too, but since your fish is new and probably wild caught, it might need a little training.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• SRC Member

It's a vegan I think, give it some Nori. Henry's Pellet is pretty cool too, but since your fish is new and probably wild caught, it might need a little training.

so red bamboo at first. den try with the pellets later or try both together? so nori or henrt pellets other fishes also can share?

just to update, the tang started eating pellets. u guys will never guess wat kind of pellets. Its eating turtle pellets! starting to chase after and nibble on the pellets

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What are they made of, those turtle food? Veggies or meat?

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• SRC Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What are they made of, those turtle food? Veggies or meat?

i really have no idea. was messing with the idea as i think turtle eats veg hence their pellets shd be veg? anyways no harm, crashed a few pcs and threw them in. Damsels were going after them and was spitting them out as its too big for the mouth. next thing i knew the tang went for it and actually ate it!

• SRC Member

it is confirmed! my Tang is eating turtle pellets as i went home for lunch and was tried again. Tis time the fellow went for the pellet and did not spit it out! I checked the container. its not veggie type of pellets. there are shrimps and fish meat.......but the pellets is green...anyways, going to try other pellets.

I have not notice the fellow nibble on the red bamboo..so not sure if he is eating the bamboo

• SRC Member

Can somebody please teach me where to buy seaweed? I walked through the whole serangoon central but cannot find.<br />

<br /><br />You can buy from Diaso too...just bought a pack for my AT and they loved it.

-
5x1.5x2ft Tank

5x2.5x2 Full Height Tank