3rd Attempt at FOWLR

Hi all, this is my 3rd restart attempt at fowlr with mainly tangs and angels for my 3ft tank w/ sump.

1st attempt due to ich all wiped out... left tank empty for 6 weeks then went for 2nd attempt

2nd attempt, all fishes were with me for at least 2+ years before my hand itchy went to scrub my sump clean resulted in (what i believe) some release of bacteria/poison or unbalance water parameters. All fishes down and out with ich and velvet. Casualty list: flame angel, yellow tang, asfur, blueface, emperor and sohal tang. Sadzz!!!

Now onto my 3rd attempt. This time round I have decided to go bare bottom, added a wavemaker to blow the bottom and got a custom rockscape from bro Naz whom I coincidentally met when I went iwarna for the water arrangements.

The rockscape, wavemaker and water just came this morning and here is the final work with lots of holes big and small for fishes to go in and out which I enjoying seeing most. There are also a few caves if you can spot.

Probably 2-3 weeks later we can see the first fish swimming inside.

Planning to keep:

1 tang

1 dwarf angel

2 juvenile large angels (blueface/emperor)

1 large angel like king or queen

1 or 2 small dwellers like hawkfish and dottybacks

Keeping fingers crossed that this attempt, all fishes will stay with me longer than 3 years.

post-817-0-21505200-1373194955_thumb.jpg

Nice scape there.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

As both your attempt failed due to ich, *touch wood* if one more time ich attack again, any contingency plan or solution?
Very likely will use copper as solution. Therefore no plans for corals and inverts.

Very likely will use copper as solution.Therefore no plans for corals and inverts.

Great bro! I support using copper as your tank is fowlr thus suitable to apply. but still need to remove any inverts and carbon. Tks

• SRC Member

Awesome scaping! Bro why not setup a QT instead? Easier to administer and maintain copper if need to.

• Like 1

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Awesome scaping! Bro why not setup a QT instead? Easier to administer and maintain copper if need to.
Bro...As much as i would like to have a QT, the space and equip is a constraint. Have to live with the space i have.

• SRC Member
Bro...As much as i would like to have a QT, the space and equip is a constraint. Have to live with the space i have.
I understand ur pain bro. Hope your fishes turns healthy and live long :)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• 3 weeks later...

A QT is still a better precaution against ich...

hypo will have an impact in the skimmer efficiency

copper is gd if u are very sure that you will only stay FOWLR. get a reliable copper test kit to test the concentration in the main tank. Once copper is introduce, it wil be absorbed into the LR and it will be quite diificult to go coral again.

then again.. the scape is good for coral set up!

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• 5 months later...

Fortunately Bro Naz was kind enough to come to the rescue and rescape the fallen pieces.

Thanks Bro!!

Have added a juvenile emperor in the holding area on the top left.

Waiting for it to get real greedy for food before releasing with the rest of the greedy monsters.

post-817-0-48954400-1389002611_thumb.jpg

Not at the moment bro.

Am happy with the BB. Read at other overseas forums that there are reefers who find tiles with nice designs and silicon to the bottom of the tank as base and it gave a very natural feel. Might consider when upgrading the tank.

Pre-set wave-maker timings had kept the bottom very clean but need to clean the algae off regularly.

Nice tank! inspired for setting up my 3ft quickly, as i am still cycling now - any recommendation on where to get liverock from? going to get some this weekend.

could you also share the list of your newly stock fish with us/me ? :thumbsup:

Nice tank! inspired for setting up my 3ft quickly, as i am still cycling now - any recommendation on where to get liverock from? going to get some this weekend. could you also share the list of your newly stock fish with us/me ? :thumbsup:
Thanks for kind comments. I got my rocks scape from bro Naz at iwarna. Current stocklist: 3x yellow tang 1x flame angel 1x asfur angel 1x king angel 1x juvenile emperor angel All fishes are small with the king being largest at about 3inches. My goal is to add a final queen angel. If i were to redo, i will reduce the amount of rocks to have more swimming space. Just my few thoughts.