Skimmate

• SRC Member

My skimmer was producing nice frothy and brownish skimmate for the last few days and suddenly the water level in the skimmer dropped and the froth cannot even rise... Does this mean that my tank lagi clean now ?!

• SRC Member

Actually I just checked and the skim mate picking up again... Was reading about such effects when using upsized skimmers :P

I m using a skimmer for 1000ltrs for my 300ltr tank

• SRC Member

Cleaning of skimmer is very important. My deltec mce 600 I bought 2nd hand and I forgot to clean it when I first used and week by week I got "clearer" and less smelly skimmate. Took out the skimmer last week and gave it a good wash. Within a week I got black gooey very smelly skimmate.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

I have the same experience with my skimmer (SM 121). Sometime of the day it will foam well and sometimes no foam at all. The bubbles just burst prematurely. I leave it as it is as long as I get thick black skimmate at the end of the week. I have checked water parameters and they look ok. Have cleaned the skimmer regularly and it is still the same experience.

• SRC Member

Actually I just checked and the skim mate picking up again... Was reading about such effects when using upsized skimmers :P

I m using a skimmer for 1000ltrs for my 300ltr tank

i'm using 1000l for my 250L system, i feel that just nice :)

>>